New speakers

Jrgunn5150

Post Whore
Reaction score
Looking for recomendations. Nothing drastic, listen to rock. I currently have some kind of Sony headunit that pushes a little over 200 watts. I need rear's and front's.

Also, how hard is it to put something other than the stupid factory 5x7 in the rear?

OP
OP
J

Jrgunn5150

Post Whore
Reaction score
Marc@UPR said:
Do you have the Mach system?

Nope, i don't even have power door lock's, lol. Does that matter? I have been considering a small amp, I've heard with three and four way speaker's you really don't get a good clean sound without one.

Matt94GT

Post Whore
SN95 Supporter
Reaction score
I have Focals they are awesome, but you will need to buy an aftermarket amplifier for them. IMO a you cant beat a good componenet set, I can crank mine and hear it clear from a block away. But that might be overkill. Look into JL speakers, get 6.25" for the doors instead of 5x7. If the rears are 5x7 get 6.25" as well they sound better then 5x7 although 5x7s will produce a bit more bass. You will have to make a basic adapter plate, not hard.

TxCobrA98

Legend
Reaction score
Matt, my buddy has some Focals in his truck, the top of the line ones and OMG.. the highs produced by those will literally hurt your ears..

insane speakers.

OP
OP
J

Jrgunn5150

Post Whore
Reaction score
Awesome, I'm a little clueless when it comes to audio, what type of amp should I look into? Two channel? 4 channel? How many watts?

Matt94GT

Post Whore
SN95 Supporter
Reaction score
Well it all depends, the thing is you can get JL speakers and they will out perform your stocks well running off your headunit. But a nice quality component set will sound amazing, although it will be at least 4X the price, because you need an amp then the speakers cost a lot more too.

Let me know what way your thinking and ill help u from there.

OP
OP
J

Jrgunn5150

Post Whore
Reaction score
Well I'm not listening to symphonies, just a little Nirvanna cranked up, lol. I just want a nice clean sound when I let it rip, you know?

Matt94GT

Post Whore
SN95 Supporter
Reaction score
Yeah I gotcha personally if I were you id just get a set of JL speakers, I WOULD tough upgrade to a new cd player/headunit even a alpine thats 1 or 2 years old will be a lot better then your sony. plus im sure you have a ipod and the new ones work great with ipods. There is no way your sony makes 200 watts, yes watts mabye but only ever go by RMS in any stereo world, all companys rate wattage diffrent.

An example of RMS vs Watts is the company. Lets say:

Company A (good quality)
100RMS = approx 200Watt

Company B (or lesser quality)
50RMS = 200watt

Not saying sony isnt good, they make great stuff but their car audio is somthing I wouldnt buy. Alpine decks are awesome.

TxCobrA98

Legend
Reaction score
matt hit it right, when it comes to wattage, MAX watts may get your attention but RMS is where you want to look. RMS is the average power or mean power.

RMS is typically what people like to go by.. normally, in the audio industry, the more money you tend to spend, the better the quality. (at least in my eyes)

go with reputable brand for speakers like JL, kicker, Infinity, boston acoustics (i love them).. just some good name brands.

good brands that i know of for decks are alpine, kenwood, clarion, and panasonic.. im sure i forgot a few other good ones but off the top of my head.

also, dont go with a speaker that can produce sounds way higher than 20,000 hz. the human ear can't pick up anything over 20,000 hz. i know that alot of them go up to like 22,000 and stuff which is fine but i wouldn't pay the extra money for speakers that go up to like 30,000 hz. someone correct me if im wrong because my logic seems correct. i may just not understand why? is there a benefit to this?

OP
OP
J

Jrgunn5150

Post Whore
Reaction score
Sweet, thanks alot. i just got a bonus at work, so I'll pick something out over the weekend. BTW though, my Sony has a little gay jack in the face of it for an Ipod, but it was really cheap, like 150, so I'm sure it isn't the best. Thanks again guy's!

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
alleghenyamerican

Members online