Odometer problem - not the normal one !

Finale-gt

Reaction score
My trip odometer wasn't working when I purchased the car. If was on 0000 and didn't move, so I purchased the gear fix kit. When I stripped the cluster down there was nothing wrong with the gears!

Basically my car is a 96 GT but is fitted with a 35th Anniversary (1999?) cluster. White dials with a silver front shroud with 35th Anniversary printed on the front.

When I put the cluster back together it's like the trip button is too long and it activates the zeroing function, hence why the odo doesn't turn because the trip reels are disengaged from the gears (the mileage one works fine).

any ideas on what is wrong? I'm thinking that the original reels have been swapped into the newer 99 cluster and are not compatible. Any thoughts??

96Mystic1189

Reaction score
I have read about this problem when putting a 99-04 cluster lens on a 94-98 gauge cluster. It was something about the trip button being too long like you said. On latemodelrestoration.com they were talking about trimming it to work.

FivepointSlow

Reaction score
I had no problem when I put a 99+ lens on my 94-98 cluster... I guess I just got lucky lol

Sent via swagPhone 5.0 using Tapatalk

OP
OP
F

Finale-gt

Reaction score
Mine aren't digital so it's obviously just a 99 lens as stated above (it says 35th anniversary anyway so it must be)

what are the white clocks from then? I think my 96 GT should have black

OP
OP
F

Finale-gt

Reaction score
Yes I meant the dial faces. They must be cobra dials with the 99 lens fitted.

96Mystic1189

Reaction score
Common thing to do because you cant get new 94-98 lenses anymore. Check out the product reviews on latemodelrestoration and from what they describe you should be able to slightly modify it to work correctly.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Diabolic2010

Members online