OLD FARTS "It never ends"

evilcw311

Most Evil Member!
SN95 Supporter
Reaction score
Grab a beer or bourbon old fart. Walk away from it for a few days and come back refreshed after Christmas.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OP
OP
OLD H2S

OLD H2S

SN95 Supporter
Reaction score
Blew up my liver 4 years ago...now I build cars, same obsession just cheaper. I got a motor to pull...

lwarrior1016

Mr. Secondary Timing Chain
Staff
Reaction score
FUCHED again... I got my EBAY ported PI heads in today, look real nice, got knife edge exhaust port guide work done, nice polish job.. BUT I HAVE FOUND 2 !@#$%^&* holes so far in the intake ports. I dying here, really, my chest has hurt all day from the stress. I can not get a brake with any heads. I have 2 engines that will not run, the first PI heads had a hole that took 5 times for anyone to find and I finally found it after flogging the engine for 3 hours till it was running poorly, my nPI heads have bad seats and will not hold compression, need work that I can no do to fix them and this new set of PI's that came in today... I should have built a Miata, for the money I would have a fleet of them by now. Time for a break and some reflection on the reason for the season, OLD FART out.

Do you think that welding the chambers so close to the seats caused the material to shift and made the seats loose?

96blak54

Staff
Reaction score
Well crap! All that work movin forward just to take steps backwards.

Hmmm

1.9" tfs head valves are next to identical as a npi valve, but only bigger. Install big seats in the npi heads, get a valve job. Only problem is, either the cylinder bores will need to be bored .100" over or offset the head .05" to clear the valve. I got a write up somewhere here.

Intake manifold and head ports may become a challenge and tedious setting up alignment, but could work!

OP
OP
OLD H2S

OLD H2S

SN95 Supporter
Reaction score
FAST came out with a 5.0 Coyote swap kit that uses a cable throttle connection for a much simpler swap.

evilcw311

Most Evil Member!
SN95 Supporter
Reaction score
FAST came out with a 5.0 Coyote swap kit that uses a cable throttle connection for a much simpler swap.

Does this mean your thinking about a whole new direction with your car?????

OP
OP
OLD H2S

OLD H2S

SN95 Supporter
Reaction score
Yes I am going in a new direction, Trick Flow. I am out of time for this car. I have dead heads all around this place and I am trying to send back the last set of PI ported heads for 2 holes I have found so far, the seller is moving slow, then I will get more parts and try to build 2 sets of heads, 1 will be nPI and a set of PI's for the aluminum engine. I started out as a mechanic for Mercedes Benz when I got out of the military and now my older step sister wants to give me her '94 300 TE wagon for me to restore for her. I have other repairs piling up that are waiting on the hanger queen to move out.

OP
OP
OLD H2S

OLD H2S

SN95 Supporter
Reaction score
Well I must of been good or maybe just suffered enough, Santa brought me Trick Flow heads. I have a set of 38cc TF heads installed. 14:1 CR and better drivability, the intake port runners are small but longer to get to the 185cc port volume so the velocity stays high and now my Torsen differential is not complaining at low RPM- low torque. I am having idle issues so I have to run at 1700RPM. I'll get on the alignment rack today to check my pinion angle because I was getting some vibration above 100 MPH.

evilcw311

Most Evil Member!
SN95 Supporter
Reaction score
Why is the idle so high?? Any idea as to what’s causing that??

96blak54

Staff
Reaction score
CRAP! He aint playin!
Weird how the idle is high. I will say adding compression makes the charge more volitile. Perhaps retarding timing a little bit will help.

OP
OP
OLD H2S

OLD H2S

SN95 Supporter
Reaction score
The idle issues could be the tune, I asked to richen up the low end because this cam has not been on the dyno yet. McNews is closed till next week so it is going to be rich for awhile. I have to look up the TF valves you talked about for length compared to nPI intake valves, I am not worried about cutting down the lips to fit the seats in the heads, just as long as I don not have to cut the tips. I cut the seats larger for the PI valve set I have that is 1mm larger but finding what I want is getting harder. Then I will have a set of great nPi heads and I will make a set of PI max flow heads at 25 cc chambers for high CR. I still have the finished aluminum block and if someone wants the motor at 12.5:1 then the nPI heads will work or at 14.0:1 then the PI heads will work..

evilcw311

Most Evil Member!
SN95 Supporter
Reaction score
Why not put the tf heads on the aluminum block and finish what you started??

OP
OP
OLD H2S

OLD H2S

SN95 Supporter
Reaction score
The JE forged pistons are -15cc dish and matched with SVT Cobra rods, balanced etc and need 25 cc heads for 14:1 CR. I have to make heads with 25 cc chambers. The smallest TF is a 38 cc chambers. TF 38's with -15cc pistons = 10.5ish CR. This would be good with a blower.

I am running flat top pistons, .027 head gasket, 38cc chambers and a small 250 cam to keep as much compression as possible in a cast iron block for as much pop as I can get NA.

evilcw311

Most Evil Member!
SN95 Supporter
Reaction score
Aha........makes sense. So then you’ll keep the aluminum motor around for when you get bored and want to go boosted!!!!! Lol

evilcw311

Most Evil Member!
SN95 Supporter
Reaction score
Don’t you know that I’m pushrod loyal!!!!! :)

I’ll hopefully be dropping my block off soon to get the machine work and assembly done on my 418w. Then I’ll be working towards modifying my 302 turbo hot side to make it fit the tall deck.

So sorry, no mods for me!!! [emoji38]

OP
OP
OLD H2S

OLD H2S

SN95 Supporter
Reaction score
I got ANOTHER PI head to try and make a matched set but it is going to take a lot of work just to match the 25cc good one I have left, then for what? To sell?
nPI head parts will be here this week and I like these heads better, then what am I going to do with them?
I got a aluminum short block here...sitting...
Number 47.8 goes on the dyno on Tuesday and is running good and holding all fluids.
Time to spin up the coilovers and go Rallycross?????

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
RevJon

Members online