One Touch Power Down Windows

Steve-Oh

Legend
Reaction score
Tech Article by:
Brian Carr
[email protected]

One Touch Power Down Window Module (OTPDM) installation for passenger window.

This method will add the OTPD feature to the passenger side window for all 94+ Mustangs. Both driver and passenger side switches will have the added feature. Only basic hand and wire cutting tools are required.

Basically the installation involves connecting a OTPDM between the window switch and the motor. The installation requires a OTPDM to be purchased. It can be purchased from Ford for about $40 or from a junkyard. I opted to buy it from MPS in Georgia for $25 (1-770-867-2644). Be sure to get the accompanying 10" wire harness for a clean installation. Any module from a base model, GT, or Cobra will work.

Steps:

.Disconnect the battery.

.Remove the passenger door panels (the hardest part).

A) Remove the plastic trim clip on the lower front part of the door panel.

B) Remove the large plastic panel that contains the handle to pull the door shut. Do this by pressing downward and toward you on the uppermost part of the panel (releasing a snap clip). There are two or three clips that hold the rest of the panel to the door. Pull upward to release them. Once the panel is loose, remove the lock and window terminal block by removing the two phillips head screws.

YOU CAN INSTALL THE OTPDM AT THIS POINT. Continuing will allow better access to the wires and make mounting the module much easier, but it is not necessary.

C) Remove the small plastic panel that resides behind the handle to open the door. There are two snap connectors and a couple of clips that hold this in place. Reach through the opening where the door close handle was and feel for the snaps. They are ribbed. Press downward and toward the inside of the car to release them.

D) Remove the two phillips head screws that were hidden behind the large plastic panel.

E) Non-MACH 460 vehicles can remove the small panel on the front top of the door by simply pulling the panel inward. It is retained with two metal clips (at least my 94 was that way). Unfortunately, MACH 460 vehicles do not allow an easy way to remove the tweeter from the top of the door. I left it in place.

F) The door panel comes off as one piece. It is attached to the door frame by approximately ten large plastic hooks. Lift the door panel upward and then toward the inside of the car. Vehicles with the MACH 460 speakers will require a little extra effort to do this because the tweeter limits the upward travel. My panel came off OK with a fair amount of force.

.Access the necessary wires.

Cut away some of the electrical tape from the wires that run to passenger side switch panel. The R/Y, BK, Y/R, and LB/BK (keyless entry) or PK (non keyless entry) wires will be used. Not all will need to be cut.

.Wire the Module.

Cut the ends of all five wires from the end of the OTPDM harness. Wire the module using the diagram attached. The Helm manual has the wire colors marked incorrectly for the passenger window motor (R/Y and Y/R should be reversed). If by chance these wires do get mixed up, you will end up with a One Touch Power Up Module. This will not hurt anything.

.Test the Module.

Reconnect the battery and check to see if the window module works. Check both switches that power this window. If all is well, wrap harness of wires with electrical tape. If the window operates, but the one touch feature does not work there is most likely a power or ground problem (check LB/BK or PK and BK connections). If the window does not operate at all there is most likely a switch signal problem (check all connections using the Y/R and R/Y wires). If the module is suspect as being faulty it may be tested by connecting the wires back to the harness that it was cut from and plugging it in place of the driver side module (yes this means you would have to disassemble the driver door).

.Mount the module.

The module may be mounted anywhere inside the passenger side door as long as it will not rattle once in place. I chose to mount it just behind the handle to pull the door shut. The module from the 94 base model had a clip that I slid into the 1.5" hole on the door frame. After I attached the door panel I put a 3" thick piece of low density EPDM foam with adhesive to lock it in place and prevent vibrating.

.Reassemble the door panels.

A number of people showed an interest in wiring the rear windows of a convertible to be one touch. This will work by installing a separate OTPDM between the switch and window motors. I have not performed this operation because I do not have a convertible, but it should work the same as the passenger door. If there is someone in the Cincinnati area wanting to perform an install on a convertible I would be willing to help and will update this posting with the outcome. If I do not hear from anyone local I will work with a couple of people via e-mail, fax, or phone to get it working.

There are numerous ways to wire the windows as one touch down (and one touch up for that matter). If you wish to investigate this further on your own, I would recommend obtaining a Helm (1-800-782-4356) Electrical and Vacuum Troubleshooting Manual and follow the wiring diagrams included.

otpd1.gif

Link: http://mustangworld.com/ourpics/hitech/rdtch1.htm

-Much thanks to gt96stang for finding this article!

gt96stang

Reaction score
HELL YEAH!!!! You didn't have to give any thanks to me.. Just passing on the knowledge.. I've just known about it because it's got the method that I used to do my fog-light rewire on the same page as well..

reivaxtorres

Reaction score
so just out of curiosity, does anyone know how to make it a one touch down AND one touch up?

Javi

Post Whore
Reaction score
reivaxtorres said:
so just out of curiosity, does anyone know how to make it a one touch down AND one touch up?

now one touch up will be :pimp: :pimp2: i think you should have a thread about it, well find out how many genius we have here

reivaxtorres

Reaction score
slo94gt said:
reivaxtorres said:

now one touch up will be :pimp: :pimp2: i think you should have a thread about it, well find out how many genius we have here

i think once i get a little extra money im gonna try experimenting with it. the one touch down module looks like you can hook it up so both the up and down feature, but there is one wire im not too sure about. im either going to try using two of those modules or try to see if i can adapt the 05+ one touch (they get the up and down feature) onto our cars. my friend has a 350z with the up and down feature and i think its just :pimp2:

Javi

Post Whore
Reaction score
yeah some nissans have that feature,i had an 04 maxima and had the same feature,keep posting about the one touch up-down is :pimp:x1000

FASTANG

Reaction score
Could someone please post a pic of said module???

I would like to go look for one a t a local yard,
but do not want to tear into the car since I will most likely install it this winter. Thanks,

Javi

Post Whore
Reaction score
:bunny3: :bunny3: :bunny3:

[attachment deleted by admin]

Javi

Post Whore
Reaction score
:bunny3: :bunny3: :bunny3: :bunny3: :bunny3: :bunny3: :bunny3: :bunny3: :bunny3: :bunny3: :bunny3:
POWER WINDOW CONTROL MODULE NEEDED FOR ONE TOUCH POWER WINDOW
PART # F2DB-14B118-AB

[attachment deleted by admin]

Musttanguy

Reaction score
Two modules are required per window to do One Touch Up and Down, The window motor connections from the module are swapped to accomplish this.
We stock One Touch Down window module kits for $30 shipped (Postal Priority 2-3 day mail) consisting of a module, harness, connectors, and installation guide.

We have sold/installed hundreds of these kits, please feel free to contact me with any questions you may have.

Thanks,
Tim (Musttanguy)
PonyPerformance.com

reivaxtorres

Reaction score
Musttanguy said:
Two modules are required per window to do One Touch Up and Down, The window motor connections from the module are swapped to accomplish this.
We stock One Touch Down window module kits for $30 shipped (Postal Priority 2-3 day mail) consisting of a module, harness, connectors, and installation guide.

We have sold/installed hundreds of these kits, please feel free to contact me with any questions you may have.

Thanks,
Tim (Musttanguy)
PonyPerformance.com

Hi Tim, thanks for stopping by. so it really is that easy to get the one touch up and down, huh? i think ill be buying two of these kits off your site pretty soon, but one question:

is the diagram the same for the drivers side?

thanks for your time,
Xavier

Musttanguy

Reaction score
The wiring will be different on the drivers side, I should have a diagram I can forward if you have a problem

94 DropTop

Reaction score
if this module goes bad could it be the cause of my drivers window no longer going up? when i hit the down button i hear a clicking noise. and i know when this mod it disconnected my drivers window doesnt work. just trying to find the prob.

Javi

Post Whore
Reaction score
DROPTOP

is not the motor im doing a writeup about this stuff ill pm you the link when im fifnish up loading the pics.

reivaxtorres

Reaction score
Musttanguy said:
The wiring will be different on the drivers side, I should have a diagram I can forward if you have a problem

yes, if you can send me that diagram that would be great. i havent had a chance to mess with the drivers door, but the passanger side door works like a charm. i love having it, i just need the one touch up feature now, hahah

Win

Legend
Reaction score
So is this just for the Pass window ??? Or does it work on the driver and pass???

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Alida81

Members online