PI Headswap question

sk8erord

Reaction score
Hi guys. I just picked up a 96GT on the cheap, and am purchasing a set of PI heads/intake for it. I've read a bunch of the threads on here, so I know what parts I need, etc, but what I can't find any concrete info on is this:

1) Do I NEED a tune? Just doing a direct PI head/IM swap. I'm sure a tune will make everything do better, but the headswap is all I'm doing for now. Eventually I'll do more and get it tuned then.
2) Do I need/want 24lb injectors, or will the stock rails/injectors do fine?

Thanks!

OP
OP
S

sk8erord

Reaction score
I should also add - my goal for this car is a NASA TT4 build, so I'm limited to 12:1 lbs:hp, so with weight reduction, I'm only looking at about 260rwhp. Most of the work will be going into suspension, brakes and aero.

lwarrior1016

Mr. Secondary Timing Chain
Staff
Reaction score
A pi head, intake, cam swap will go straight on and run just fine without a tune. Your stock tune will learn the new engine and make corrections for afr. A tune will absolutely make a difference in performance at that point. Youll gain some power with just the swap but probably gain 20 more hp with the tune. Dont be scared to swap it and drive the crap out of it.

You do not need 24lb injectors. The stock 19's will do just fine for this setup.

OP
OP
S

sk8erord

Reaction score
Awesome, thanks! The guy I bought the car from just installed brand new 19lb injectors, so I'd rather just run with those for now since they're brand new.

lwarrior1016

Staff
Reaction score
Awesome, thanks! The guy I bought the car from just installed brand new 19lb injectors, so I'd rather just run with those for now since they're brand new.

MAke sure to get the coolant tube that goes under the intake manifold and make sure your cam covers will fit the new heads (romeo to romeo heads). Youll be fine. get it swapped and let 'er eat

OP
OP
S

sk8erord

Reaction score
Will the NPI romeo valve covers work with the romeo PI heads?

white95

Apex Junky
Admin
Reaction score
If you need a cold air intake, I have a JLT that needs a filter. I'll make you a "kin folk deal" on it.

OP
OP
S

sk8erord

Reaction score
If you need a cold air intake, I have a JLT that needs a filter. I'll make you a "kin folk deal" on it.
Any real gains with a CAI? Seems most things I've read suggest maybe some throttle response, but that's about it. Even on my s550 it's only a few hp.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

white95

Apex Junky
Admin
Reaction score
Any real gains with a CAI? Seems most things I've read suggest maybe some throttle response, but that's about it. Even on my s550 it's only a few hp.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

Throttle response and sound. You will gain some upper RPM power for sure. When i swapped to the Accufab plenum and TB [all on the PI intake/NPI heads setup] it made a nice difference. The shaved PI heads/cams, long tube headers and a fresh clutch made a fantastic difference but the 2.73's killed it. Even so, it would stomp my wife's full bolt-on 2005 GT.

lwarrior1016

Staff
Reaction score
Not to mention the sexieness that it adds to the engine bay. JLT is one of the good ones because its a plastic tube. The metal ones hold heat and pump your engine full of warm air.......so yeah, its a cold air intake

OP
OP
S

sk8erord

Reaction score
Throttle response and sound. You will gain some upper RPM power for sure. When i swapped to the Accufab plenum and TB [all on the PI intake/NPI heads setup] it made a nice difference. The shaved PI heads/cams, long tube headers and a fresh clutch made a fantastic difference but the 2.73's killed it. Even so, it would stomp my wife's full bolt-on 2005 GT.
PM me an offer. :)

I still need suspension, need to finish sourcing the parts for the headswap, need tires, need brakes, lol... Stock suspension is shot, tires are shot, brakes are small, and it'll be a road course car, so those are all critical, lol.

evilcw311

Most Evil Member!
SN95 Supporter
Reaction score
but did you die lol

Yes.........it’s a slow horrible death. It starts with the wallet then spreads into my brain.

But it will possibly bring life to da beast so I got that going for me!!! Lol

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

white95

Apex Junky
Admin
Reaction score
Yes.........it’s a slow horrible death. It starts with the wallet then spreads into my brain.

But it will possibly bring life to da beast so I got that going for me!!! Lol

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Cant wait to see it kick ass and take names!

OP
OP
S

sk8erord

Reaction score
Since I'm this far into the engine, what type of preventative work should I do while I'm in there? Oil pump, water pump, chain tensioners/guides? When you're talking about the coolant tube in the valley - are you meaning replace the hose? I pretty much plan to replace all the hoses on the car. What else? Thinking about doing long tubes while I'm down there, since I have to remove the manifolds anyways. What are thoughts about studs vs bolts?

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
marktuck99

Staff online