PI Headswap question

OP
OP
S

sk8erord

Reaction score
Victor makes good stuff. I havent built a road course car (yet), mine was a high compression drag strip car. In my case, I used the cheap kit from ebay and Honestly, I wouldnt hesitate to use it again. The only difference is really going to be the head gaskets. As long as the ones you get are MLS, you should be good to go.

Also, take a look at the coolant tube that in your engine now. I cant remember if the 96 had the correct fitting or not. I know 98 does.
I have the ford performance head changing kit already, so I have those head gaskets. I still need the rest though - timing cover gaskets, valve cover gaskets, etc.

Silver95bird

Reaction score
It never hurts to have spares, but I've always been able to reuse my valve cover and timing cover gaskets. You just have to be careful not to tear them at the rtv points.

OP
OP
S

sk8erord

Reaction score
It never hurts to have spares, but I've always been able to reuse my valve cover and timing cover gaskets. You just have to be careful not to tear them at the rtv points.
Given I just bought this and it's just been sitting for 4 years, I'd feel better replacing every gasket I can. I almost want to pull the motor and do the oil pan, too. Almost.

NEURON

Reaction score
I have the ford performance head changing kit already, so I have those head gaskets. I still need the rest though - timing cover gaskets, valve cover gaskets, etc.

Did you shop around for price? Where did you purchase from.

OP
OP
S

sk8erord

Reaction score
Making progress - valve covers and IM are off. H-pipe to catback bolts are off, and 3 of 4 exhaust manifold to h-pipe bolts are free. That front one on the passenger side is a b****. Removed the O2 sensor, but even with wobbles and u-joints, I just can't get it to budge. :mad:

EDIT - got it tonight. Thought I snapped something, it was so loud when it broke loose, lol. H-pipe is off. Just timing cover/components before I can unbolt the heads.

OP
OP
S

sk8erord

Reaction score
Passenger side cylinder head is off. Thoughts on pistons?
bab7ecbfb323f19935564d124848adab.jpg

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

lwarrior1016

Mr. Secondary Timing Chain
Staff
Reaction score
Looks about typical. Most of that should come off with some good break cleaner. Double check your cylinder walls and make sure all is well and try to get all the coolant out from around the pistons.

96blak54

Staff
Reaction score
I see a problem....to much dish..lol. Really tho, they all look even. Figure out an oil catch for the pcv to end that extra carbon.

lwarrior1016

Staff
Reaction score

96blak54

Staff
Reaction score
Roller rockers/followers should be fine. Be sure to inspect and clean them.

lwarrior1016

Staff
Reaction score
So you're saying I'm better off replacing them than moving over the ones from my NPI heads?

Oh no, the old ones should be fine, just like 96blak54 said, clean and inspect.

The link you posted is for a set of Ford GT followers. Those are the best we can get. They are strong.

OP
OP
S

sk8erord

Reaction score
Bah, found a scratch in one of them, deep enough to feel with my fingernail... so I guess I"m buying some. This car was misfiring when I bought it, the rockers on the intake valves on Cyl 1 & 8 had somehow fallen off. Guessing that damaged it. But since I was doing a headswap anyways... *shrug*

OP
OP
S

sk8erord

Reaction score
On a side note - what can I do to clean up the corrosion in the valley and then paint it? I assume a high temp (1200*ish) paint, but what would clean that up? Just a wire wheel on a drill/rotary tool? Without removing the block from the vehicle. Obviously I'd tape/cover every conceivable opening in the block.

evilcw311

Most Evil Member!
SN95 Supporter
Reaction score
1200?!??? If your motor ever gets anywhere near that hot I’d say the paint is the least of concerns!!!!!! [emoji23]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OP
OP
S

sk8erord

Reaction score
1200?!??? If your motor ever gets anywhere near that hot I’d say the paint is the least of concerns!!!!!! [emoji23]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
You're right, was thinking 1200* for the headers. I bought pacesetter headers and they came with that black paint that I'm pretty sure I should remove and repaint them with a high temp paint. As for the block, probably fine with a 500* paint. But as for the corrosion, short of pulling the block and sending it to a machine shop, anything I can do to clean it up prior to paint?

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hazel113

Members online

No members online now.