PLEASE HELP!!! No power after PI intake swap

96blak54

Staff
Reaction score
Most definitely NOT an idiot!

Im glad these guys were helpful! They are a good bunch of do gooders!

delling3

Reaction score
Good to know you found it. I have a PI intake sitting here ready to install on my '96, and frankly, I have been watching your struggle. Lucky for me, I already have a new set of plug wires sitting right next to the intake. Figure I will change them out at the same time.

OP
OP
laramik

laramik

Reaction score
Well , maybe I spoke too soon. Re assembled with the PI intake again and running poorly now. Will check for vacuum and perhaps maybe one of the wires were no good on the set I bought. Ran great with npi and when I replaced the 3 suspicious wires so I'll try putting on exactly the wires that were on it when it ran well. But must have not done the gaskets as well cuz I do have a leak on the driver's side coolant port so gotta do it again anyway. Got impatient and didn't let the rtv cure as long as I should've. I used the "right stuff" gray this time. Should've just stuck with what worked originally...

Sent from my SM-G970U1 using Tapatalk

OP
OP
laramik

laramik

Reaction score
Update. Running well now. I had one injector unplugged. Now just gotta plug up the leak. Hoping I can get away without having to tear if all down. Small, small leak on driver side coolant port

OP
OP
laramik

laramik

Reaction score
I did. I was just missing one plug on a fuel injector. Took it back down to where it looked like it was leaking but the gasket looks good. I think I maybe should've replaced the nipple which I didn't do since I have the one I need in there already. I have a new nipple so I will add it now. As far as the gasket is concerned can I just add a small amount of rtv where it was leaking or should I remove them completely and get another set of gaskets? (Currently on third set... At 40 a piece)

Silver95bird

Reaction score
You know gaskets on a 4.6 are generally reusable, right? Clean the rtv off and try again. Unless they're 15 year old originals or damaged, no worries.

And if you put in a new style tube/nipple there should be nothing to go wrong there either. All there is, is two o rings. The tubes are almost impossible to install wrong. The nipple is foolproof as long as it was fully seated behind the water pump. You didn't reinstall the old one, right?

Sent from my moto z3 using Tapatalk

OP
OP
laramik

laramik

Reaction score
You know gaskets on a 4.6 are generally reusable, right? Clean the rtv off and try again. Unless they're 15 year old originals or damaged, no worries.

And if you put in a new style tube/nipple there should be nothing to go wrong there either. All there is, is two o rings. The tubes are almost impossible to install wrong. The nipple is foolproof as long as it was fully seated behind the water pump. You didn't reinstall the old one, right?

Sent from my moto z3 using Tapatalk
Correct, I did not install old one. I had the correct one on there initially as mine is a 98 and some had the correct one on there. I just changed the o-rings but now I just put a brand new one on since I had it. I think I could see where the leak was and worst comes to worse I'll get new gaskets and go for it again tomorrow. I'm pretty sure I see where the leak happened and I redid it now just gotta let her sit and be patient now....wish me luck

96blak54

Staff
Reaction score
Blob the rtv, place gaskets on, place intake on, snug bolts finger tight, dont press intake down, let sit over night, finish torquing bolts next day. Let sit for an additional day before adding gluids.

OP
OP
laramik

laramik

Reaction score
Still leaking same spot today. Came out and started her up this am. Very fine leak from drivers side coolant port. Exactly where it was before. It's almost as if the gasket isn't quite flush. I have a feeling that because I used that "Right Stuff" RTV the first time and it cures so quickly that I may have not torqued it down within the 5 minutes it says to do it in and thus the rtv is actually holding the gasket up because it doesn't appear flush with the head and it is torqued to 20 ft/lbs. Does that make sense? Anyway, I'm gonna torque it to 23 now and if that doesn't work then I will just grab the new gaskets at 1pm when they arrive at the parts store and re-do it with regular ultra gray maybe I'll surround the entire port just to make sure I get it perfect and will bolt her up and wait til tomorrow to start her up again.

OP
OP
laramik

laramik

Reaction score
Started up this am. All is well. Zero leaks and seems to be all good. Thanks again to everyone for all the help. Couldn't have done it without you guys.

OP
OP
laramik

laramik

Reaction score
Oh I won't be a stranger After doing all this now I'm thinking I should go ahead and find some PI cams and swap those out too!

Last edited:
OP
OP
laramik

laramik

Reaction score
Right! Would 2008 cams from a grand Marquis work? It's a Romeo but not sure when they went 3v or if they ever even did. Could get a pair for 25 from boneyard off a rear end total with 13k miles.

07GtS197

Reaction score
Its a 4.6 2v too. Blak might know if theyre the same as the mustang pi cams. Hes tested some stock cams across a few models and found that the grinds arent the same. The older panther cars had a different grind than the mustang cams but that could have changed by then. If you dont care then by all means jump on it if theyre not trashed. There isnt going to be a huge difference between them and the mustang pi cams.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OP
OP
laramik

laramik

Reaction score
we still all good? I didn't want to celebrate too early and jinx us....
Indeed. Got on it even twice yesterday and 0 leaks. And for anyone saying this is only a mild performance increase I'd disagree. There is a very noticeable increase to me especially from 3-5k rpms.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
senior001

Members online