Post Up Your Audio System

96blak54

Staff
Reaction score
Actually it is sound, just at a low freq. PG had an air moving device called a cyclone back in the day that reproduced bass freq. with 2 vanes pulsing back and forth like a fan on crack. Moved a ton of air and generated massive spl. It didn't last in car audio very long because of it's size and being banned from competitions.

JIMMY
Yup,..nick named "the washing machine".

ttocs

Post Whore
Reaction score
I was working at a pg dealer when the cyclone came out but unfortunately it was not one that did a lot of business. I only got to build an enclosure for and install one cyclone and wish I had got to do more. I can remember when we fired it up for the first time I had put my drill on the rear package tray as I was working in the back seat. When the other guy cranked it, the rear deck started dancing and it launched my drill off of it, I was glad to catch it. We had to match it with a single 10" though because it doesn't do anything above 50hz but with a 10 it was a great sounding system, as long as the trunk was closed and you didn't hear the vein dragging as it had a hell of a mechanical noise that got worse over time.

Five O

Reaction score
I'm currently running the basic Mach 460 which sounds great, better since I put my Kenwood head unit in. I just want to get a decent amp and subs wired into it now at some point for the bass and I'll be really happy.

Witzy0070

Reaction score
Head Unit

Kenwood Excelon KDC-X998

Amps

JL Audio JX360/4(Front Doors), Alpine PDX-M12(Sub, Digital Amp can see 3 Ohm same as 4)

Wiring

Rockford Fosgate 4G kit, Stinger 14G(4 channel), JL Audio Twisted Pair RCA wires

Speakers

Front Doors:
JL Audio C5-525CW 5.25", Rockford Fosgate PPS4-8 8" Midbass, and crossed over with C5 tweets (Fed off by 4 channel)

Rear Deck:
JL C2-570x (Fed off by deck as rear fill)

Sub

1 JL 12W7AE-3 (custom ported box built to JL specs tuned to 36Hz, 1300RMS)

Accessories

200 Amp alternator, Digital Voltmeter(battery load), Blu Tooth, YellowTop Optima, "Big 3" with 0/1 G(non-aluminum wiring), Hushmat in trunk and doors, Alpine RUX knob(Remote bass gain adjuster)

Witzy0070

Reaction score
Well organized post!...now show us some pix!!

20150226_174711_zpsoursvswk.jpg

Slowly coming along...

ttocs

Post Whore
Reaction score
no enclosure for the 8s? Looks good and makes me wish I had mine on the road to finish up the 9" I am putting in my doors.

Witzy0070

Reaction score
No, these particular midbass drivers were designed for infinite baffle movement. If they were subs I'd make some baby sealed enclosures. But that's why I got the monster JL!

Still waiting for some street cleaners, black cars and winter sand = crappy looking/unwashed. Have you started your audio build yet?

Deceptive GT

Reaction score
My 02 GT Vert setup:
(original) Sony 7" Touch Screen, Inifinty Kappa Components, Lanzar Vibe Amps, MA Audio 1200XL (2), then got rid of the MA Audio for Kicker Comp 10s(2), then car was broken into and shit stolen. I ended up with Pioneer 7" Touchscreen, Inifinty Kappa Components, Diamond Audio Amps, 2 Diamond Audio D310s. The new setup will be Pioneer 7", Image Dynamics Components, Diamond Audio Amps, Diamond Audio D310s.

96 Cobra will be exactly the same.

Z06killinsbf

Reaction score
Anymore people have builds going on? I'm trying to figure out how to cleanly mount 3 Image Dynamics 8's in a ported box.

evilcw311

Most Evil Member!
SN95 Supporter
Reaction score
3 8's should fit all faced back with no problem. Not really necessary for them to be separated in a ported enclosed that will probably be powered by a single mono amp.

With all three in the same space and being powered by the same channel they will act as one unit, one source. By separating them you really gain nothing in your setup.

[MENTION=11896]ttocs[/MENTION], chime in if I'm way off. Been too long since I had to design enclosures. Lol

Actually I didn't see any mention of a)main purpose?!? You going for a cleaner punchier hitting bass that's accurate or b) just a deeper hitting bass?!?

I'm guessing that since your using a) 8's which are very fast and punchy and b) image dynamics whose known for their sound quality more than anything that you want the cleaner more responsive bass. So then I'd ask why you want to use a ported enclosure and if you've decided what frequency you want to tune the ports to?!?

This message courtesy of crapatalk!

ttocs

Post Whore
Reaction score
I worked for an ID dealer and it wasn't everyone that could afford their gear but I do not ever remember installing an ID sub someone was not happy with. I ran a box with 4 -8s but it was just a simple sealed box for some mb quart 8s that are probably similar to the IDs(SQ over spl). I liked the set up as it was great for rock but rap/techno it lacked the low end. Still a great sounding system but I designed the box to look like the mach enclosure and hang from the rear deck to save space, subs were facing down.

Do you know what freq you want the box tuned to since you say ported?

Z06killinsbf

Reaction score
Right now I've got 2 ID 8's in a box tuned at 34hz on a PPI PCX 1250 amp. I've got a PPI PCx 4 ch for some mids and highs I haven't chose yet.

ttocs

Post Whore
Reaction score
Ok so if your running 8s already then you should know what to expect. If you were to add 2 more subs, and then double the power to all 4 you could expect to pick up 3db of sound more then likely around the tuning freq for the box(if its done right). I know it doesn't sound like much but because the equation for sound is exponential doubling the output of it is equal to approx. a 3db gain. Now adding only one more sub obviously means you will not get the 3db. So of course it leads us all asking the question of if its worth the trouble to do all this for a 1-2 db gain? Well only you can answer that...

castine917

Reaction score
3 8's should fit all faced back with no problem. Not really necessary for them to be separated in a ported enclosed that will probably be powered by a single mono amp.

This message courtesy of crapatalk!
Visually cool was my reason. ;)

ttocs

Post Whore
Reaction score
mine were all down firing for SQ and you culd not really see them. If I get the amp/sub combo I am hoping to get it will not be hidden.... What subs are you running and off of what amp? Just trying to work it out in my head that the amp will stay happy.

ttocs

Post Whore
Reaction score
mine were all down firing for SQ and you culd not really see them. If I get the amp/sub combo I am hoping to get it will not be hidden.... What subs are you running and off of what amp? Just trying to work it out in my head that the amp will stay happy. Should be fun. I am looking forward to doing the opposite this time and loading up he trunk full of high power and large subs. Going to try 9" woofers in the doors and 15" subs in the trunk.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Cwacaser

Members online