Project Deceptive GT

Deceptive GT

Reaction score
Well in addition to my 96 Cobra, Project Venomous (http://www.sn95forums.com/showthread.php?67762-Project-Venomous) I have my 02 GT Vert. I bought the car back in 07 with 22,500 miles on it right before I reported to Ft Campbell. I wanted an S197 but could not find anything I liked with the options and color combo. I found this gem and really did like the color combo with the options. I never wanted a convertible but could not pass up the deal.

Here it was when I drove it off the lot, it only had a Flowmaster Catback.
DayOne.jpg

I got bit by the mod bug. The first was a CAI from MAc, then EIbach Pro System Plus, Steeda UDPs, Professional Products 75MM TB and Plenum, SCT X3, Pro 5.0 Shifter, Cobra Front Brakes, Steeda X2s, replaced the Flowmasters with Super 44s, UPR X Pipe, Haartz Stayfast Canvas Top, 18" Staggered Bullitts, Steeda 18" Ultralites, wing delete, and a few stereo changes that ended with Pioneer AVHP4200, Inifinty Kappa Components, Diamond Audio D310s, and Diamond Audio Amps.

Here is the way she looked when at the last iteration of the car.
mustang009.jpg

mustang002.jpg

mustang011.jpg

I pulled it into the garage to do a clutch change, headers, mid pipe, catback, and was going to throw on a Vortech. I broke three tools trying to get the pilot bearing out of the crank, damn thing was not moving. I decided the motor had to come out. I started to piece together a 4V swap. Fast forward a little under three years and I picked up a 96 Cobra. I decided at that point to use my 4V parts to do a C Swap on the Cobra and stay 2V. My plan was to get Trickflow Heads and a Bullitt Intake and Vortech both cars (V1 Si for the GT and V7 JT for the Cobra). Well, the other day I got a deal on essentially a 01 C Head longblock that I could not pass up. So back to the 4V swap.

Here is what she looks like sitting in the garage right now.
IMG_4996_zps879ac86e.jpg

Plans?

Teksid Block, C Heads, Vortech V1, T56 Magnum, etc...

I am looking for around 500-600rwhp on this car; nothing too crazy. The Cobra I going crazy performance wise, the GT I want for more of cruise and show car.

the5.ohh

Legend
Reaction score
Nice work so far. Looks super clean on those silver Steeda wheels and wingless. Keep up the good work!

OP
OP
Deceptive GT

Deceptive GT

Reaction score
Well, warmer weather is getting me excited. I have ordered some primer, solvent, and Mineral Gray paint. I will be using this to repaint the interior under the carpet, the inside of the trunk, behind the dash, and the dash frame. Depending on how it comes out, I may do the underbody and a few other places that are not readily seen.

OP
OP
Deceptive GT

Deceptive GT

Reaction score
Damn that looks mean, rear is lower than the front?

It probably needs the spring isolators replaced; I'm getting new ones for the new suspension. Add in the stereo and it probably caused the compression.

Looks good and awesome garage too!

Thank you, the tiles are Racedeck, painted it and put up the shelves. I still have a bit more to do.

OP
OP
Deceptive GT

Deceptive GT

Reaction score
Well, update time I guess. The C Head 4V stuff I got a few weeks ago included heads that had port work done, a valve job, and are supposed to have new bronze valve guides. They did have one slight issue, upon start up after the two of the oil passages to two cam journals had something clogging them that caused the journals to be scarred. I went to http://precisionraceengines.com/ to have the heads looked at and luck was on my side. The shop said that the damage is minimal and can be polished clean. So the heads are being cleaned, checked, torn down, the cam journals are going to be repaired. WIN! Precision Race Engines will be building my engine for both cars.

OP
OP
Deceptive GT

Deceptive GT

Reaction score
Well, I spent a few more dollars on the car this weekend. Not to go into too much detail and spoil it before the pictures. I ordered the last pieces I needed to build a stout rear-end on the car. I will be taking the rear-end out in the next few weeks when my buddy brings his RX7 over for some maintenance. An extra hand will make getting the rear out and in the truck easier. Then it will be off to the shop to be torn down, off to the powdercoater for some beautification, then back to the shop for the rebuild with all the goodies.

Burninriverdiver

Reaction score
Nice hood choice, you get some top notch parts. Can't wait to see this and the cobra finished up!

OP
OP
Deceptive GT

Deceptive GT

Reaction score
More Parts for the build ladies and gentlemen. So, what do we have?
IMG_6276_zpstdaijgbv.jpg

Smoked Headlight housings and Ford COPs, brand new.

IMG_6271_zpshxtnfmud.jpg

Canton Windage Tray, FRPP 3.73 Gears, FRPP Master Install Kit, "Powered By SVT" COP Covers, Manley SVT Rods, Eaton Detroit TrueTrac, MAC Ceramic LTs

IMG_6268_zps2wgcwmkl.jpg

18" Staggered SVE 10th Anniversary Wheels, SS Radiator Cover, Saleen Sill Plates

IMG_6267_zpswc9rxmof.jpg

H&R SuperSport Springs, Koni Yellow Adjustable Shocks and Struts, Stifflers K Brace, J&M Upper and Lower Control Arms

IMG_6264_zpsjqebd9lz.jpg

Raxiom Smoked Taillights

g36 monkey

Post Whore
SN95 Supporter
Reaction score
Because I didn't see this thread till now, I've got to take a step back. Should have just hammered bread into the pilot bearing to get it to pop out. However, sometimes we just look for excuses to start builds ;p

This looks really great and quite thorough!

J_Sty_

Reaction score
Man you have a lot going on lol awesome work so far and that shop is tits!

OP
OP
Deceptive GT

Deceptive GT

Reaction score
Because I didn't see this thread till now, I've got to take a step back. Should have just hammered bread into the pilot bearing to get it to pop out. However, sometimes we just look for excuses to start builds ;p

This looks really great and quite thorough!

Easy answer on that. I broke 3 tools, tried grease, and tp to get it out. Nothing worked for me. The guy that bought the engine had to have a slide hammer welded to it to end up getting it out.

g36 monkey

Post Whore
SN95 Supporter
Reaction score
Bwahah O man it was stuck good! Maybe the bread wouldn't have worked ;p

OP
OP
Deceptive GT

Deceptive GT

Reaction score
Man you have a lot going on lol awesome work so far and that shop is tits!

Thank you, the garage was not a nice place when we bought the house. The floor is RaceDeck, expensive but awesome.

Bwahah O man it was stuck good! Maybe the bread wouldn't have worked ;p

The original plan was not this crazy. It started as a clutch change, longtubes, and piecing together a Vortech V1 S trim setup. Nothing crazy. Was going to eventually do a built bottom end and ported heads. It ended up being the Saleen Clone, 4V swap, etc... build after the pilot bearing issues. I got mad and said the 2V wasn't going back in.

OP
OP
Deceptive GT

Deceptive GT

Reaction score
Good news, the heads are cleaned, magnafluxed, and the cam journals cleaned and polished. They are within factory specs! WIN!!!!!!!! Ported, polished, 01 Cobra Heads with new bronze valve guides, and a valve job for a total of $340. Just need to look at cams and valvesprings. I will either go with CMS stage 2 blower cams and valvesprings or a set of custom cams designed by Kurgan and custom PAC valvesprings.

OP
OP
Deceptive GT

Deceptive GT

Reaction score
Just picked up the heads; took a gamble and won. Paid $100 for 01 Cobra Heads that were freshly ported, new bronze valve guides, and valve jobs but two scarred cam journals due to clogged oil passages. Precision Race Engines charged my $240 to disassemble, clean, check, and fix them. All it took was a polishing wheel.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Diabolic2010