Project Red Headed 3v

OP
OP
T

Thomas_W

Reaction score
Do yourself a favor while the irs is out and order the differnetial shim kit and rear diff lowering mount from full tilt boogie. You wont get the driveline angles perfect without it. For my setup, it took the nose of the diff as high as it could go and the rear lowering mount to make my driveline angle correct.

Interesting.. what made you need to do all that? Vibration?

i did this swap to my 96GT with a stock termi IRS and had zero issues with the swap.

I also just ordered some H&R race springs for the rear. $150 for two springs and isolators, im in the wrong business lol

lwarrior1016

Mr. Secondary Timing Chain
Staff
Reaction score
Interesting.. what made you need to do all that? Vibration?

i did this swap to my 96GT with a stock termi IRS and had zero issues with the swap.

I also just ordered some H&R race springs for the rear. $150 for two springs and isolators, im in the wrong business lol

I was chasing a vibration, yes.

However, since working in the transmission world I've come to know how important driveline angles are. When they are wrong I've seen them shatter planetary gear sets and cause u-joints to fail. Having them at a wrong angle will cause the u-joints to spin at different speeds (there is a very good you tube video that explains all that) causing vibration. When I checked mine, the transmission angle was -3° and the differential angle was -4°. They are supposed to offset. Trans negative, diff positive.

OP
OP
T

Thomas_W

Reaction score
Ahh ok, gotcha. I'll have to measure mine and see what it is as i cant afford to drop $200+ on the adjustable diff mount at the moment, especially since this one has the FRPP reinforced diff cover and im still unsure if its the modded one or not to fit that mount.

lwarrior1016

Mr. Secondary Timing Chain
Staff
Reaction score
Ahh ok, gotcha. I'll have to measure mine and see what it is as i cant afford to drop $200+ on the adjustable diff mount at the moment, especially since this one has the FRPP reinforced diff cover and im still unsure if its the modded one or not to fit that mount.

I understand that entirely. Just know that when you go to change them down the road, youll have to completely remove the diff to change the rear mount. I tried like hell to keep the diff in the car and change it, but that wasnt happening.

OP
OP
T

Thomas_W

Reaction score
Yea i remember that all to well. When it comes time. Ill do the mounts with the upgraded MM tierods, swaybar endlinks, swaybar and diff cooler all at the same time... probly do the braided line fuel system and brake lines to while im at it. Lol

OP
OP
T

Thomas_W

Reaction score
So i have a buyer coming friday to pick up the 4" HO fibertrends hood.

Question is, what do i replace it with...

currently thinking

Y2K cobra R
95 Cobra R
(either of the above would be bolt on cervini's)

or a pin on extended cowl cajun outlaw hood..

for a bolt on hood. Im going to have to find a hood latch mechanism and replace the core support (which ill probably do anyways), but the look of hood pins has kind of grown on me... maybe aerocatch hood pins instead?

OP
OP
T

Thomas_W

Reaction score
Oh yea, i ordered some new rotors for the rear since the guy i got the IRS from insistes on keeping his brakes...

OP
OP
T

Thomas_W

Reaction score
Brake rotors showed up. Once the bank account recoupes, ill get matching fronts... or do a brembo swap?

6A680D44-63F2-48F3-963D-BEE495DF0091_zpsqcrvakel.jpg

OP
OP
T

Thomas_W

Reaction score
I took a few hours today to get the IRS install finalized. The H&R Race springs were installed with the factory isolators on the bottom only.
I also got the Steeda IRS rear brace plate bolt holes drilled in and installed.

99C8BDEB-F2F7-4E0C-8F3B-28C5087A3E99_zpsnza2haf0.jpg

OLD H2S

SN95 Supporter
Reaction score
Front,
IMG_0499-D.jpg
IMG_0529-D.jpg
IMG_0675-D.jpg
I put new stainless crossover tubes on them. Comes with FTR brackets, bolts, new hoses, Ford GT500 rotors, new Centric Cryo slotted rotors, new Hawk 5.0 pads, factory GT500 pads.
Set up works great but too much for the street. You are close by...... sale ends day after never...

OP
OP
T

Thomas_W

Reaction score
Front,
IMG_0499-D.jpg
IMG_0529-D.jpg
IMG_0675-D.jpg
I put new stainless crossover tubes on them. Comes with FTR brackets, bolts, new hoses, Ford GT500 rotors, new Centric Cryo slotted rotors, new Hawk 5.0 pads, factory GT500 pads.
Set up works great but too much for the street. You are close by...... sale ends day after never...

Nice!

Will they fit a 17" rim and how much $$$ if i include a cobra front brake setup? :)

OLD H2S

SN95 Supporter
Reaction score
They will not fit a 17" rim and they need the SVT backspace of 45mm which is why you see the Shelby rims in the pics. I have the front and rear Cobra set up going back on so....

OP
OP
T

Thomas_W

Reaction score
They will not fit a 17" rim and they need the SVT backspace of 45mm which is why you see the Shelby rims in the pics. I have the front and rear Cobra set up going back on so....

Well damn.... that knocks that out at the moment... atleast until i decide if imma do 18" Rovos or not

OP
OP
T

Thomas_W

Reaction score
Now you know why I am selling them.

No worries. I thought about doing the Y2K Cobra R Brembo setup, but for a little extra coin you can get the 6 piston Brembo, wilwood, stoptech, etc brake setup.

If i had the 18" Rovo's already id be really interested in those brakes (hell if the price is right, i may still! Lol) as i do plan to do some autocross and maybe some open track days. Eventually.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Srchop16

Members online