Project Red Headed 3v

OP
OP
T

Thomas_W

Reaction score
Yea its a nice setup. The cluster LED's dont dim nearly as much as the autometer led's though. But since they are blue, i can deal with that.

OP
OP
T

Thomas_W

Reaction score
So after doing some cleaning and packing i tore into the rear end:

its been awhile since ive setup a ring and pinion, but zero diff bearing preload and .060" of side play isnt exactly what you should see. Being able to shove a#1 flat head screw deiver between the diff shims and diff housing is a pretty bad sign as well:

luckily there were no big chunks and the ring/pinion look ok. I also found the driver axle bearing had locked up and worn into the axle shaft. I'll have to use one of those repair bearings for now. Its only temporary until the 9" ends go on anyways.

DKblue98GT

Reaction score
Man, it's a good thing this car ended with you for an owner. At least you have the skills to make it live again.

OP
OP
T

Thomas_W

Reaction score
Man, it's a good thing this car ended with you for an owner. At least you have the skills to make it live again.

Haha. No kidding! Im still amazed at what wasnt done to this car.

Honestly the more i tear into it and fix things, the more i think it was completely gutted for drag racing only. Then im guessing at some point money way needed and it was thrown together as quickly as possible to sell to the next unsuspecting sucker.

My wife tried to talk me into selling it a week ago to make our move easier, but i told her we would lose to much money if i were to do that. Plus its grown on me and almost all of the WTF things on the car are fixed (this is the last big one keeping the car from being driveable). Once this is done, i"ll be able to focus on fixing the body damage, subframe rails and torque boxes. All of which will get done once the new house/shop is built. I've also decided the car will get completely stripped then as well to do it how i really want it.

OP
OP
T

Thomas_W

Reaction score
Once you can drive it all the work will be worth it!

Yup. Ive driven it a bit since i got all the suspension replaced but that is when i realized it wasnt the suspension making All of the noises in the rear. Now that i know what it is, it'll be an easy fix :)

OP
OP
T

Thomas_W

Reaction score
Today i finished setting up the 8.8's ring and pinion properly after the last person to so it decided to leave .060" of shims out of the diff, eliminating all diff bearing preload and allowing the diff to move side to side. I also installed all the missing brake pad anti-squel hardware (previous owner used hi-temp silicon.. Wtf?) and replace all the read brake caliper slide pins, bellows, hardware and one of the brackets.
Finally got to drive it today after not being able to for the past 4-6 weeks. Im happy to say the rear end clunks from the shifting differential are gone and the immense gear whine is completely gone as well. When i mean gear whine, i mean gear whine! I've got front/rear coilovers, solid bushing rear control arms and even with all that, the windows down and the radio on, you could hear the gears over it all. Lol

I put around 20 miles and 4 key cycles and the PO340 code has yet to come back (fingers crossed).

the UPR coilovers are ridiculously noisey. I've had coiloverw before in the past and they were nothing like this. I can see some viking threaded struts being the next items getting purchased bc i believe all of the noise from the upr setup is because of the poor fit of the strut sleeve.

DKblue98GT

Reaction score
Sweet! Glad to hear you can drive it now. Maybe the cost per mile will go down a little now...

OP
OP
T

Thomas_W

Reaction score
Yesterday i fixed the exhaust leak on the driver side collector (bolts were loose). I also found that the driver wide coilover spring wasnt seated. Apparently when they did the alignment in it, they didnt get them seated bc the steering wheel is now tilted pretty badly. Oh well, i wont bother with it for now.

I had hoped fixing the exhaust leak would of fixed a back firing issue ive been having. If you heel/toe downshift into 2nd gear as it works down through the rev's it'll reach a point where it go longer crackles and gets really smooth and quiet, shortly after that happens it backfires so loudly it scares the hell out of you. Im guessin its just a thing with the SLp Lm catback... Just more of an excuse to get it twin turbo'd sooner. Lol

Nighttrain

Reaction score
Hmmm that doesnt sound right lol, even with loudmouths yea they....cackle?...alot i guess you could say, but not blowing off tips. So you have a wideband on it? Did you do the exhaust yourself? Maybe do a plug test somethings not right lol

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Suprasuavy

Members online