Project Red Headed 3v

OP
OP
T

Thomas_W

Reaction score
The hood is looking good! But I was almost expecting you to make a brand new one from scratch. :notworthy:
I'm going to have to look into that UV resistant epoxy for when I do a few items on mine.

If i wasnt moving towards the end of the month i would of molded it and done a new one from that mold. Its still a possibility as this is a more sanding involved process to preparing the hood for molding.

OP
OP
T

Thomas_W

Reaction score
Thanks man!

Its still not perfect, but i dont have the time to go any further with it, i need to get the rest of the garage and the house packed, then if time allows, i need to rebuild the rear axle.

Nighttrain

Reaction score
Looks awesome dude, glad to see someone else find a piece and put it bavk together the right way. Keep it up and keep us informed

Nighttrain

Reaction score
Forgot to ask what are the stock limits to the 3v? Is it the same block as a 2v, and im going to check but the major beni's to a 3v swap

OP
OP
T

Thomas_W

Reaction score
Forgot to ask what are the stock limits to the 3v? Is it the same block as a 2v, and im going to check but the major beni's to a 3v swap

Its an aluminum block, so you get some weight savings from that. Major benefit, the stock 3v flows Nearly as well as the stock 4v heads, but the cost of cams/valves/head work is cheaper. Ive seen posts saying 500rwhp with a stock block is possible. Ive also need videos of 800rwhp stock blocks as well. Im not sure how long those lasted and honestly, i dont care. Lol. The plan is for this car to get a fully built longblock to put it in the 9's at some point. Our move and plan to buy/build a house is going to put that plan on a longer hold than i expected.

Nighttrain

Reaction score
Awesome.....more food for thought....i had planned on either a termi or new 5.0 swap but they are pricey. Do you have an idea what a 3v would go for?

OP
OP
T

Thomas_W

Reaction score
Awesome.....more food for thought....i had planned on either a termi or new 5.0 swap but they are pricey. Do you have an idea what a 3v would go for?

If you get one from a truck (iron block i believe) $500-1000. Mustang ones go for $800-2000

Nighttrain

Reaction score
^yes
That hood looks really sharp....
Did some research thomas, the 3v is the same block, in 03 when they made the termi they kinda sorta passed the aluminum block onto the 3v. Only difference is pistons and of coarse the heads. Throw in some forged internals and you got yourself a motor that can hit 1000hp plus safely
I say same block because it is possible and has been done to just throw some 3v heads and intake on a 2v block

OP
OP
T

Thomas_W

Reaction score
Yea sounds about right... I'll be building a 1500hp capable longblock eventually. I'll probably start collecting the bits for the mini-tub, fuel system, cage, upper/lower torque box replacements, twin turbo kit, stand alone ecu and some other things after the first of the year. Im still debating on if im going to stay with a modular platform or do a 408ci Dart block setup... Cost wise its about the same so i'll likelu stay with the 3v.

Nighttrain

Reaction score
Stay with the mod motor, my opinion anyway. Itll be different. Im looking at this now, lol everytime i think ive made up my mind i find something else. The 3v flows better than the 4v, and unless i hit a junk yard people want a fortune for pulled coyote's and termi's. 3v's should be easy and a whole lot cheaper to find. Keep the updates coming hope the move goes smooth

OP
OP
T

Thomas_W

Reaction score
So i finally got rid of the single A pillar pod. I picked up a triple A pillar from autometer. I then stuck the boost gauge in the bottom and the AEM wideband in the middle. The upper hole is empty for now, but it'll get an electric fuel pressure gauge eventually. I also converted the cluster and the autometer bulbs to LED's. I thought i had them all working, but of course i missed one behind the stock oil pressure point.
I also fixed the intermittent Odometer (i hope). There appeared to be a few cold solder joints and potentially a cracked solder joint. Here's a picture of the led setup. The cluster has white LED's and the autometer gauges have blue LED's in them.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
peasant99

Members online