Putting our SN95 into the 12's. Advice needed

FEAST SN95 JPN

Reaction score
Hi All,

We have started doing a few bolt ons to our SN95 project car. These bolt ons consist of the following;
  • BBK shorty headers
  • MAC 2.5 catback
  • MSD 6AL ignition
  • BBK underdrive pullies
  • MAC CAI kit
  • FRPP 1.7 RR (not installed yet

Other than these, the car currently has 29,000 KM on the dial and holds the factory AODE transmission. We feel that a convertor is needed and also a beefening of the factory trans. At the same time, a set of gears are needed to replace the 2:73's in the rear

Now with all this being mentioned, what else should we be bolting on? And for the record, we are interested in keeping this car N/A for personal reasons!

All advice is appreciated.

Cheers,

Adam

Tattoogod

Reaction score
good drag suspension,frame ties,DR and a good day of fresh crisp air ;) weight distribution is a key factor to get that Sn95 in good times.

Lightning Struck

Post Whore
Reaction score
Ok if you want to run 12's and stay N/A with the AUTOMATIC you will have to have a good head/cam/intake combo along with 3:73 or 4:10 gears and a new converter would be a big help also. The edelbrock or trick flow packages are well balanced and make great power either one should get you over 300 flywheel hp with a good tune. The major down fall in this quest is that auto trans, you need the stall, a shift kit, and a cooler would be of major benefit too. The auto will take a extra 10% of your hp over the manual so the correct combo of parts is critical, (that's why I recommended you use a package that has the parts made to work together) Good luck in your objective, its not hard its all in the parts you pick.

chickendreamer

Reaction score
The only way you're going to get into the 12's with a sn95 being N/A is to get a bigger motor (351 stroker or 302 stroker), get H/C/I, a upgraded transmission (shift kit/torque converter) and some weight reduction. Slicks will help too.

Lightning Struck

Post Whore
Reaction score
chickendreamer said:
The only way you're going to get into the 12's with a sn95 being N/A is to get a bigger motor (351 stroker or 302 stroker), get H/C/I, a upgraded transmission (shift kit/torque converter) and some weight reduction. Slicks will help too.

I disagree, you dont HAVE to have a larger displacement motor to get into the 12's (If you can drive worth a crap) Weight reduction would be a plus but even at 3300lbs with a full bolt-on motor with good heads/cam/intake and a decent size stall 12's is very possible. Do some research and talk to guys with 302 automatics Im sure you will find lots of people that have hit the 12's with the 302 under the hood.

Monsterbishi

Reaction score
At the end of the day, 12's aren't terribly hard, overall weight aside, the main drawback of the SN95's 302+AODE setup is the rear gears.

It's a Mystery to me why I keep seeing such slow times posted on the various forums for our cars, most of the cars running low 14's have trap speeds high enough for 12's, and 60' times that belong on 18 second cars - what this means is simple though, the drivers are the problem, not the cars.

Basic maths say that my 3461lb car needs 300whp to run a 12, in reality it's actually less than that, I figure around 280whp maybe less should do the trick with the right suspension and rear gear setup.

95KBGT

Legend
Reaction score
shit i have a tune, KB, 3.73's and exhaust and i doubt im in the 12's. ahhh endless modding

chickendreamer

Reaction score
Snakebit said:
I disagree, you dont HAVE to have a larger displacement motor to get into the 12's (If you can drive worth a crap) Weight reduction would be a plus but even at 3300lbs with a full bolt-on motor with good heads/cam/intake and a decent size stall 12's is very possible. Do some research and talk to guys with 302 automatics Im sure you will find lots of people that have hit the 12's with the 302 under the hood.

12's could be doable with that combo but there would be tough to get. Ideal conditions would definetally make it easier, such as close to sea level, good humidity, air temperature, etc. But if he want's to reliably be in the 12's he will need some bigger displacement.

Lightning Struck

Post Whore
Reaction score
chickendreamer said:
Snakebit said:

12's could be doable with that combo but there would be tough to get. Ideal conditions would definetally make it easier, such as close to sea level, good humidity, air temperature, etc. But if he want's to reliably be in the 12's he will need some bigger displacement.

For a 12 sec quarter mile EVERY TIME DOWN the track...........I agree go with more cubes. For the ability to brush the 12's you can roll with the 5.0 you have.

koniz

Reaction score
Lose the front sway bar, remove quad shocks, get Upper and Lower Control Arms, Subframes, Definitely gears and HCI that works together with coverter and rear gears,

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
marktuck99

Members online