Quad Shock, how to tell if its bad

SirJud01

Reaction score
The Car, 2001 Bullitt 142k miles. The symptoms, after driving the car for long distances (1/2 hr or more) when taking off in 1st gear and sometimes in Reverse, the car will buck and chuck like Ive never driven a manual before. It wont do this when cold, only after been driving for a while. And wont do it in any other gear shift. Someone had suggested that maybe my original quad shocks are bad. The original shocks struts and springs were changed a few yrs ago and where completely wore out. However, these symptoms had not started until after the installation of a Procharger. It got better going from 4.10 to 3.73 gear but its still there. So is this a wheel hop issue, or a clutch issue (which has been replaced about 15k miles ago and before the procharger installation. But is a stock oem replacement, not meant for SC power. And tips or advise is greatly appreciated. Thank YouBullittSide shot.jpg

outdare

Reaction score
If it is happing in forward and reverse it could be your u joints. If it was wheel hop you would feel it. Also it could be your pinion gear. It might have some play that is allowing if to clunk on engagement.

Sent from my moto x4 using Tapatalk

01yellercobra

Reaction score
Are you talking about pulling away from a light normally or when you try to have a little fun from a stop?

A_+

Reaction score
How important is this quad shock?

evilcw311

Most Evil Member!
SN95 Supporter
Reaction score
How important is this quad shock?

If you have a good set of upper and lower control arms it’s not. Quads made up for the poor quality of the factory arms.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

ttocs

Post Whore
Reaction score
most of us remove them to run bigger wheels/tires and as he said a good set of control arms and bushings helps

OP
OP
SirJud01

SirJud01

Reaction score
Are you talking about pulling away from a light normally or when you try to have a little fun from a stop?
Just pulling away normally. Seems like the harder I try to be smooth the worse it is. If I just dumped it and ran like having fun it would take off strong and hard

OP
OP
SirJud01

SirJud01

Reaction score
If it is happing in forward and reverse it could be your u joints. If it was wheel hop you would feel it. Also it could be your pinion gear. It might have some play that is allowing if to clunk on engagement.

Sent from my moto x4 using Tapatalk
Ring and pinion gear have been replaced.

evilcw311

Most Evil Member!
SN95 Supporter
Reaction score
If it’s doing it when you just take of normal that’s not the quads. That’s slack in the drivetrain somewhere. Like the guys said above, u joints or pinion

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

01yellercobra

Reaction score
Sounds like clutch chatter to me. It could have issues once it's warmed up. But hopefully it's something easier to replace.

OP
OP
SirJud01

SirJud01

Reaction score
Sounds like clutch chatter to me. It could have issues once it's warmed up. But hopefully it's something easier to replace.
Unfortunately, this is where Im leaning. Really seems like clutch chatter. But, some one said his quad shocks were bad and after changing them his got better. If it was bushing, or u joints or gears i would think that it would do it all the time.

01yellercobra

Reaction score
Unfortunately, this is where Im leaning. Really seems like clutch chatter. But, some one said his quad shocks were bad and after changing them his got better. If it was bushing, or u joints or gears i would think that it would do it all the time.

I can kind of see it being the quad shocks if it only happened when you were trying to do a drag racing start and it wheel hopped. If that was the case I'd suggest new control arms over quad shocks. But since it happens when you're trying to pull away normally I'd say it's the clutch. And it getting worse as things warm up also leads me to think that way.

OP
OP
SirJud01

SirJud01

Reaction score
I do agree. I would like to put in a Termi clutch. But with the age of the car, new bushings all around or just upgraded control arms really wouldn't be a bad idea. They are added to the list lol. But clutch and upgraded cooling will be first.
I can kind of see it being the quad shocks if it only happened when you were trying to do a drag racing start and it wheel hopped. If that was the case I'd suggest new control arms over quad shocks. But since it happens when you're trying to pull away normally I'd say it's the clutch. And it getting worse as things warm up also leads me to think that way.

01yellercobra

Reaction score
There are better clutches than the 03/04 out there nowadays. They do hold, but they're heavy. I had one in my 01 and in traffic it gave me a work out. I would step up to something else like Spec or Exedy. Which someone else will have to give an opinion on. I have a Mcleod RXT, but that's a lot of clutch for most set ups. But I taught my son and my daughter to drive a manual with it.

lutter94

Reaction score
Not your year, but I have a Exedy Mach 350 Stage 1 Clutch, and I love it. A buddy used to hydraulic does moan about how hard it is to push in. Doesn't affect me in the slightest.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
senior001

Members online