Quick cam cover question...

Venomous96Cobra

Reaction score
Okay im thinking about taking my cam covers off and painting them red! can someone guide me as to how these things come off exactly!!! I figure I would sound dumb and ask rather than wasting extra time in the removal process

intake manifold(s) need to come off?

do the spark plugs need to come out?

MustangChris

Post Whore
SN95 Supporter
Reaction score
my only experience is on my 2004 cobra motor.

no need to remove intake manifolds.
no need to remove spark plugs.

had to remove coil covers and coils. I imagine with it in the car you will have to remove your strut tower brace, intake plumbing, clutch cable and... thats it outside of maybe some other minor hoses and wires like your PCV hoses.

also, there is an order you should TQ these down in. (and idealy un-tq them in the reverse order) be sure to look that order up.

badass98svt

Reaction score
Yup, what he said. i just did this a few weeks ago.
Remove air intake
Remove clutch cab;e. remove plug wires unbolt cam covers
Remove.
They actually went back ON easier than they came off.

danielson631

Reaction score
the owner at mustang magic told me in order to remove the driver side headcover you have to remove the brake booster. im guessing this isnt true bc badass98 just removed his without doing it.

if its really not to hard to take them off, i might be doing this pretty soon to have them powder coated.

the motor was a factory reman. the headcovers were repainted and they look like sh1t. and the stamp on the pass. cover with the sigs in it, wasnt there. is there any way to get another one of these stamps?

MustangChris

Post Whore
SN95 Supporter
Reaction score
danielson631 said:
the owner at mustang magic told me in order to remove the driver side headcover you have to remove the brake booster. im guessing this isnt true bc badass98 just removed his without doing it.

if its really not to hard to take them off, i might be doing this pretty soon to have them powder coated.

the motor was a factory reman. the headcovers were repainted and they look like sh1t. and the stamp on the pass. cover with the sigs in it, wasnt there. is there any way to get another one of these stamps?

jsut take a look under your hood... your cams are going to be about 2 to 3 inches or so tall + the height of the valve cover = 5 inches.... do you have 5+ inches of clearance? if not i would remove the motor mounts and lower the motor before i pulled apart the brake system. just my $0.02.

perhaps badass98 could clearify a little..

uncltrvlnmatt

Post Whore
Reaction score
danielson631 said:

To answer your second question.....No. I have the same problem. You would think these idiots would swap the valve cover when they swap the engine. The only thing you can do is buy somebodies take off valve covers. It won't be original but knowbody needs to know that.

MustangChris

Post Whore
SN95 Supporter
Reaction score
i have 2004 cobra covers up for sale. complete with signiture plate. let me know if you are interested. you can buy my covers, take the plate, and re-sell them.

danielson631

Reaction score
they actually asked me if i wanted them to swap the old covers onto the new motor but i said no. bc they were pretty badly chipped and the stamp was all faded out anyways. looking back i kind of wish i kept the originals. but no big deal

MustangChris

Post Whore
SN95 Supporter
Reaction score
i meant for just the plate. then he can re-sell the termi covers.

I know its not exactly "ideal" but its an option...

MustangChris

Post Whore
SN95 Supporter
Reaction score
nope. and its not a big deal.

1 bolt on bottom of transmission dust cover.
2 bolts on firewall.

... thats it amigo.
no need to fully remove it from the car, just needs slack to menouver your valve cover.

OP
OP
Venomous96Cobra

Venomous96Cobra

Reaction score
MustangChris said:
nope. and its not a big deal.

1 bolt on bottom of transmission dust cover.
2 bolts on firewall.

... thats it amigo.
no need to fully remove it from the car, just needs slack to menouver your valve cover.

shit man! thanks I was gonna leave the covers as is! if I had to fully remove the cable...

badass98svt

Reaction score
Guys on the drivers side all I did was remove the clutch cable, bend the dipstick out about 1/2" and the egr valve pipe was a little in the way but the cam cover still comes off without bending the pipe. The pass side you need to remove the air intake, and I forget if I HAD to disconnect the fuel lines or not. I DID disconnect them? But I also was removing my intake so I had to disconnect them anyway. They were actually quite easy to install too. For me it was easier to install than remove. When you reinstall the covers, attach the gaskets with a few small dabs of black gasket maker. It holdsit in place. Use them on the plug gaskets too. Also make sure when you remove the covers that you have all 4 plug gaskets. Sometimes 1 or 2 will fall off into the head so just make sure you have all the old ones.

I have some pics of the car with the covers removed if you think it may help you guys.

Any other questions just ask.

danielson631

Reaction score
badass98, can you pls post the pics?

btw, whats your real name? i feel most associated with you and a few other people on this site.

badass98svt

Reaction score
My name is P.J. I always put my name at the top of my sig on every site I'm on. others should do the same. it helps to learn about others.

Anyway, here's a few pics...

DSCN8934.jpg

DSCN8926.jpg

DSCN8935.jpg

DSCN9004.jpg

danielson631

Reaction score
thanks for the pics p.j.! looks great.

i use to have the same wire loom things, until one day i noticed it wore right through the wire! now i just use black zipties lol

MustangChris

Post Whore
SN95 Supporter
Reaction score
i had to do my fuel lines and A/C lines this weekend. it wasnt too bad. just be sure to purge both systems before you try and remove them.

If you think you'll remove your A/C, for whatever reason, take it to a shop and have them purge it. It will give you peace of mind, and it will be better for mother nature. I had to purge mine in my garage and that shiz stinks! plus when you are taking apart the lines you're constantly thinking "i hope this is de-pressured all the way..."

badass98svt

Reaction score
You had to remove your a/c lines to get your ps cam cover off? On a 4v?

Or were you removing themfor a different project?

badass98svt

Reaction score
Also, you don't have to disconnect the clutch cable from the trans. Just look un der the dash and unhook it up there. Much faster and easier.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
marktuck99

Members online