Rather sticky situation with my car...

Addermk2

Reaction score
Do you happen to have a copy of the last registration? Here in RI, you don't need a title to register a car from pre-2002ish.

If you can't get the car running in less than 3 weeks, but its all together and ready to go, pm me and i can make a day trip out to help you.
Sent from my CyanMobileX Evo 4G

joekd

Reaction score
Brakes are cheap and easy, you can get 4 rotors and pads for well under $150, may not be exactly what you want but will get then done and ready for inspection

If he is saying he will just pass the car through inspection without really doing an inspection then yes, that is a major no no and a license pulling offense

OP
OP
FivepointSlow

FivepointSlow

Reaction score
He wouldn't be doing the inspection/emissions. He'd bring it somewhere in town for emissions and to the DMV for the vin check and safety inspection.

I'm going to look into a cheap set of calipers and pads now...

Adder if I have any more trouble with the idling problem I might take you up on that. That'd be awesome and I really appreciate the offer.

I do have the copy of the last registration and a lot if DMV stuff from the glove box... I even have a ticket that a PO received a month or so before the car was totaled. Registration dates back to the accident in 2001. I think I also have the registration from before that aswell....

Idk about the laws in CT for that...

Crapatalkin' on the iPhone 5.0

the5.ohh

Legend
Reaction score
Wait you guys have a safety test, than normal inspection? Thats weird. Here its everything in one shot.

Addermk2

Reaction score
Wait you guys have a safety test, than normal inspection? Thats weird. Here its everything in one shot.

If a car is flagged for an alternate safety, by the DMV.. it needs to be towed to an inspection facility to be marked as safe for registration.

RichV

Reaction score
I agree with all the WTF post before. Not sure why all this money was spent while the car don't run and you don't have a title.

But the situation is simple, if you need the title in your state, this d-bag is holding all the cards. I don't know why he has to be involved in anything after you give money to purchase a car, why did he not give you a title? What reason was there for this?

I know from personal experience, I bought a car on ebay once. Of course after seller has my $6K, I go to DMV to find out all the car's paperwork is not correct and I can't get a title in my name. I went back to the seller, explained it to him, he got a major 'tude and said this has never happened, he gave me everything, it's fully legal, and he will not help me any more because he don't have time. I ended up having to bond the title, not sure if this is possible for you. But whatever is happening between the seller and your dad is not good to be in the middle of.

white95

Apex Junky
Admin
Reaction score
Do you happen to have a copy of the last registration? Here in RI, you don't need a title to register a car from pre-2002ish.

If you can't get the car running in less than 3 weeks, but its all together and ready to go, pm me and i can make a day trip out to help you.

You'd be :handz: not to take this offer FivepointSlow

TanTop94

Reaction score
I believe I had a front and rear caliper with pads I could send your way. Hell even a slotted and drilled rotor. Just one though. Not really sure how I got this weird stash of parts

OP
OP
FivepointSlow

FivepointSlow

Reaction score
[MENTION=8201]Addermk2[/MENTION] [MENTION=17616]the5.ohh[/MENTION] in other words if you buy a totaled car it needs to be safety inspected. Lol
[MENTION=17007]RichV[/MENTION] the car needs to pass emissions before the title can be signed over due to it being hung up in a weird state because it's a salvage title atm and was also abandoned by the previous guy who tried rebuilding it and left at a shop, after x amount of days the guy I bought it from took over the title. How does one bond a title and what does that even mean exactly?
[MENTION=10188]white95[/MENTION] there's not a whole lot I need a hand with... I got my buddy coming up next weekend to bang out the suspension. I'm paying him in food. And the rest is pretty much a one man thing... I got to swap my valve cover out because. I put in a taller one and it hits the upper intake. I never swapped it back. I need to bolt up the smog pump, and that's it for now. I still have the loose rocker arm that's knocking a bit but I have parts for that, arms, rods, lifters, etc. And will dive into that once the thing actually idles. At the moment I don't want to drag him out here just to help me for an hour ya know? Plus I have [MENTION=11138]joekd[/MENTION] right down the street from me. If I really need help I could pull him over as long as he's free. I do really appreciate the offer though. That's a bit of a drive from RI to Enfield.
[MENTION=16648]TanTop94[/MENTION] name your price? :eek:
But how'd you end up with a single rotor? That's odd. Lol. I'd like to go with slotted and or drilled rotors down the road but my rotors now are fine minus surface rust from sitting. They look brand new imo.

RichV

Reaction score
You'd have to get with you DMV on how to bond because your laws are different than mine. I purchased a S-Title car here and the seller wasn't required to give me anything or do anything special, other than sign over the title and fill out one document that states why the car has a S-Title. Once I had those 2 things, I was able to register the vehicle and get the title assigned to my name.

Here, bonding requires a VIN inspection by state patrol. Appraisal by dealership, pay to issue bond by insurance company (cost depends on appraisal), then there is a waiting period of x weeks, then you get the title in the mail. There is paperwork that goes with each step that is submitted, and IIRC I had permission to do the process before I the 1st step. It cost me about $250 total.

95opal

Reaction score
Im with the others the whole situation is fubar and without any documented receipts your pretty screwed. Why on earth would you dump 6k into something you don't legally own? At this point with a salvaged title on the car and not having said title, I wouldn't drop another dime into that thing. In fact I'd part the thing out, re-coupe my money and tell the guy to F himself. Even if he hands over the title ct salvage inspection sucks..been there done it twice. Good luck

OP
OP
FivepointSlow

FivepointSlow

Reaction score
Im with the others the whole situation is fubar and without any documented receipts your pretty screwed. Why on earth would you dump 6k into something you don't legally own? At this point with a salvaged title on the car and not having said title, I wouldn't drop another dime into that thing. In fact I'd part the thing out, re-coupe my money and tell the guy to F himself. Even if he hands over the title ct salvage inspection sucks..been there done it twice. Good luck

If it gets to that point I'd strip the thing to the body and tell him he can have it back, then find a roller and swap everything over.

DeepList

Administrator
Admin
SN95 Supporter
Reaction score
I'd part the thing out, re-coupe my money and tell the guy to F himself.

Yep. I'd probably do the same. Part it out, get your money back and go get something else.

To hell with him.... I wouldn't bother with it any further. From what you've described thus far, the whole thing is one giant cluster**** that's only going to progress into more of an intertwined mess.

RichV

Reaction score
Agreed with deep and opal. Stop by dude's house, see if he'll give you what you need. If there's issues, go find a tub with a good title.

OP
OP
FivepointSlow

FivepointSlow

Reaction score
Agreed with deep and opal. Stop by dude's house, see if he'll give you what you need. If there's issues, go find a tub with a good title.
Yea I'll be calling him up in the next few days and seeing what's up.

I guess you'll never do that again.
Live and learn I guess... lol

SLOW95GTS

Reaction score
The tools you need can be bought in a kit, do you guys have a harbor freight in Connecticut? And about the brakes whats needed? Calipers? Pads? Rotors? Lines? Are the rotors warped? Are they still resurfacible? If you can just resurface the rotors and buy some $15-$19 pads for front and back. Calipers are around $60-$70 dollars each and the lines are around $15-$18 each side. So to add that up it would probably be like 200 total.

Ive been looking for the link but all you really have to do is go around and clean the throttle body with carb cleaner, remove and clean the iac sensor, make sure to clean the MAF meter with the specified spray at the local auto parts store. Put some fuel injector cleaner in the tank, and some good gas. Change all vacuum lines with new ones, and make sure to check your spark plugs for lean or rich condition. Lastly, check the tps voltage and make sure its at .98-1.0v , but It could also just be as simple as doing the Base idle Reset!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Cwacaser

Members online

No members online now.