Rather sticky situation with my car...

RichV

Reaction score
I think I kinda see whats going on.

The owner cannot sell the car legally, in your state, until it can pass the safety due to being a salvage. You and dad agreed to fix/get back on the road, and at that point the owner can sell you the car. Then you can put title in your name.

But, there was never any sort of written agreement or bill of sale, which is where you can get ****ed. And I hope through the weird history of it being abandoned, he even has everything it needs to document all of it.

Have you seen the title? Does it actually say SALVAGE on it? I wouldn't be wasting any time, get this taken care of ASAP.

OP
OP
FivepointSlow

FivepointSlow

Reaction score

The owner cannot sell the car legally, in your state, until it can pass the safety due to being a salvage. You and dad agreed to fix/get back on the road, and at that point the owner can sell you the car. Then you can put title in your name.
This is spot on.
Except at the time 2 years ago I had no idea how any of this worked and I think my dad thought that us not being able to get the title means we can't get a bill of sale. His mistake. Which is now my mistake every day I don't get it.

Crapatalkin' on the iPhone 5.0

WhiteStallion94

Reaction score
I'm not trying to be a dick here, but I am absolutely ASTONISHED that someone would go about this without any sort of written agreement. You, I can understand as you were a kid, but your father? A grown man?

OP
OP
FivepointSlow

FivepointSlow

Reaction score
I'm not trying to be a dick here, but I am absolutely ASTONISHED that someone would go about this without any sort of written agreement. You, I can understand as you were a kid, but your father? A grown man?
At the time my dad was friends with him... Shortly after I got the car my dad ran for and won a spot in the town council, the following years the guy grew more and more vocal about his disagreement with the way the town is ran, he ran for town council and lost. Out if the 2500 votes in the district he ran in he got 20 or so... After that he just went crazy with the shit talking.

he's been waiting for the car to get finished since '11?
He being who? The guy I bought the car from? Yea... The car was never 'for sale'... After I lost interest in the foxbody project my dad started asking around for people selling mustangs... He mentioned it to Donald Christmas and he said he had one sitting buried in his hard... Just sitting. So it was never a priority for him to get rid of it, us wanting it just freed up space for him, and he probably just doesn't worry about it. It's not really his problem.

WhiteStallion94

Reaction score
Ok, that makes more sense.

Just have your dad approach the guy and ask him to issue a new bill of sale (say you misplaced the old one or something) and you should be good to go.

95opal

Reaction score
I can't get the title until it passes emissions, safety inspection, and VIN check due to it's salvage/abandoned title. I'm not exactly sure what the title would say as it was totaled in 2001 and then like 5 years ago it was 'abandoned' or whatever, guy was working on it at this guys shop, ran out of money, left it there, and them the shop owner, who is Donald Christmas, took over the title after x amount of days.
I bought a Lincoln to use the motor out of during my fail of a Foxbody project and that car was abandoned but we bought it from a dealership that was stuck with it.

Even if the title is salvaged he should have given it to you upon purchase. I've bought and resurrected 2 salvaged mustangs in the past and was given the salvage title booth times. Upon repairs They were towed to salvage inspection, passed and DMV sent me a new rebuilt title.

That's also why I never got it. It's not because I didn't ask for it, it's because I couldn't have it until the car passed those tests. The title couldn't change hands until the car was passed.

That is complete bs you should have been given the title upon purchase

But, there was never any sort of written agreement or bill of sale, which is where you can get ****ed. And I hope through the weird history of it being abandoned, he even has everything it needs to document all of it.

Have you seen the title? Does it actually say SALVAGE on it? I wouldn't be wasting any time, get this taken care of ASAP.

Rich all ct salvage titles say SALVAGE right on them. As far as someone selling a salvage titled car its perfectly legal. The part about it being abandoned is another issue and nay be the reason why the guy never gave up the title. The dealer would have had to ABA the car to get it under his name. If he didn't file for the ABA chances are the original owner still has the title thus why the dealer hasn't produced it yet. Either way I wouldn't drop another nickel into the car until title was in hand.

96gt4.6

Reaction score
The part i dont understand is if this was the deal then why put all the extra money and time into all the extra stuff that was not needed, and just got the car passable. at this point your already into it so far i would say buy the cheapest parts you can and make it passable as soon as possible and see if he holds up his end of the deal.

OP
OP
FivepointSlow

FivepointSlow

Reaction score
The part i dont understand is if this was the deal then why put all the extra money and time into all the extra stuff that was not needed, and just got the car passable. at this point your already into it so far i would say buy the cheapest parts you can and make it passable as soon as possible and see if he holds up his end of the deal.

70% of the money I put into it was replacing broken shit. Broken seats. Airbags. Windshield wipers. Turn signals. All that crap.
The other money was thrown at the car because I was never in a rush to get the title. I took my time. Up until now there hasn't been a question of whether I'd get the title or not because the guy was cool and said whenever the cars done let me know and well get the title all squared away.
I'm waiting on a member to get back to me on a set of calipers and pads he can hook me up with for cheap. Slap those on. Make sure my idling problems sorted out, and then get my title.

96gt4.6

Reaction score
70% of the money I put into it was replacing broken shit. Broken seats. Airbags. Windshield wipers. Turn signals. All that crap.
The other money was thrown at the car because I was never in a rush to get the title. I took my time. Up until now there hasn't been a question of whether I'd get the title or not because the guy was cool and said whenever the cars done let me know and well get the title all squared away.
I'm waiting on a member to get back to me on a set of calipers and pads he can hook me up with for cheap. Slap those on. Make sure my idling problems sorted out, and then get my title.

in that situation there should always be doubt, i guess i feel that way because i have been burned before. I hope it works out in your favor

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
wbarter

Members online