red 96 gt in need of advice

josh0092002

Reaction score
:help2: well iam new to all this, an ive been trying to do my home work before i jump head first into this project. and i would love some help or advice. i have a 96 gt with a pro5.0 shifter, k&n air filter, bbk off road h pipe, flowmaster 40s, and 3.73 in the rear. the rest of the car is stock. well to be honest my goal is 500 rwhp/rwtq and i was thinking i would be able to reach that with keeping my stock block, adding forged 5.0 stroker kit, an the set of ported pi heads from steenracing, with long tube headers, and a kenne bell supercharger. well i believe that is idea for what i want, and yet i know its gonna be really expensive. so this is not an over night thing, i was wondering what u guys thought about this, if u could give me any idea/strategies on how to start with this build up. would i be able to get everything an run it, and save the supercharger for last. sorry if this is alot at one time, ive been thinking about this for a while, since my car is not a daily driver. well any comments or suggestions would be great. thanks :help2:

justinschmidt1

Post Whore
Reaction score
give up?....no but umm stock block wont hold 500 rwhp. from what ive hear....a more reasonable goal would be 400 rwhp on a stock block of course..and you should be able to do that easily with a kenne belle + pi heads

MustangMatt96GT

Reaction score
Well the stock block will be fine with the 500 numbers, but the internals will not and he had planned on putting in a 5.0 forged stroker kit so He will do fine!

tooslow

Reaction score
500hp is cake for the block.

the rods on the otehr hand, not so much.

like already said, if you go stroker, you're all set. it'll take it.

OP
OP
J

josh0092002

Reaction score
well i chose 500/500 cause well i really love my car, an 2nd it would be really cool to hang with z06s and vipers, but most of all ive always wanted a really mean street car, and some to take to the track every once in awhile and have some fun with. i figured hell its my first project why not do it big an do it right the first time? :hammer:

tooslow

Reaction score
you'll need more than 500/500 to take on those cars.

it isn't going to be a cheap project

4point6GT

Reaction score
start by goin pi of course then forgin everythin under the hood lol not really but yu kno wut i mean n beefin yur internals, but yea blower last....

OP
OP
J

josh0092002

Reaction score
well i don't really want to take on the viper or z06, but it would be fun to give them a run for their money, lol. well i know its not gonna be cheap at all. well i kinda figured the p.i swap would be first, but do u guys know the heads iam talking about from steenracing. "the stage2", would i be able to run those heads with a pretty much stock set up or what all would i have to change, and once i get the forged stuff, what trans do u guys think would be the best. once again let me say i have the idea, i just need help going in the right direction.

firstonraceday

Reaction score
if money is not an option I would look get an MMR Mod 900 short block Ported Pi heads and look into a turbo kit and call it a day...

nesqwick_05

Reaction score
y do the blower last? y not do it first and work around it? i mean, more satisfaction sooner then later you know lol

ripper

Reaction score
First off stock z06 has 505 flywheel HP not rwhp. 500 to your rear wheels and you will hang with him no problem. Forged rotating assembly, P/P heads, stage 3 blower cams, and a ds-1 or novi 2000 with about 16-18lbs boost and you will be lookin at him in your rearview all day LOL. I had the same goal with my car. Beat the z. I was tired of guys going from the dealership straight to the track with them vettes and kickin my ass. And for some strange reason they all talk shit. Well they aint talkin no more :dancing6:

OP
OP
J

josh0092002

Reaction score
well the z06 is an awsome car, dont get me wrong but we mustang guys get no love at all from vette owners or viper owners, cause they can go buy the top of the line sports car, well i just want to make them think twice before they laugh at another mustang. an yez money is tight with me so this is a long term goal. :hammer: iam just lost as to where i need to start and what parts would be best, an personaly i would like to have a roots type blower, hell if for no other reason just cause i think their cooler, :dancing6: well i know everyone here has got to think iam crazy by now, and yea our cars are the shit!

Whistler98

Reaction score
I started with 4.10's and then went straight to the blower. I am glad I went this route b/c the car is a blast to drive now and I have been able to save some money for a new motor. The longer it last's now the more money I will be able to spend on the motor when she goes.

ripper

Reaction score
4:10's are the cats ass :dancing6: Thats were i would start too.

powerfreak

Reaction score
500 at the wheels is a LOT of power...if you can get it to hook up, you'll hang with most cars. Personally, if I were doing it...I would look for another motor to build...that way you can build it the way you want it, take your time...and still have your car on the road while it's getting built. Do it right and do it once.

ALSO, with that much power, don't forget about the suspension...spend some $$ and do it right. If you can't get all that power to the ground...it's a waste.

Thomas_W

Reaction score
IF all you want is 500rwhp. your wasting you money on a 5.0 stroker. Main reason being is are 4.6's already have a fairly long rod and stroke and adding to that just makes the rod angle even worse...

you can make 500rwhp by using a stock GT crank, forged rods, pistons, NON ported PI heads, stock intake, blower cams, Exhaust, and a blower.

You do NOT have to do all the stuff your looking at. Especially for a street car. Its not feasible.

Hell, i've got a friend w/ a 01 GT w/ exhaust, novi 2k, 10psi of boost and a FMIC i made him making 433rwhp.. thats on stock internals, and the tuner said if he had a BAP (max'd out a SVT focus pump) and 15* of timing (only has 12* in it) the car would make 550rwhp the way it sits... You do forged rods, pistons, PI heads, blower cams, novi 2k, 10-12psi of boost and a FMIC and a GOOD tune, and your looking at 550+rwhp.

To do that, your looking at a budget build of a bottom end for $1900, heads cams and valve springs = $1500, Blower + FMIC = $3000-4000, Fuel system- $600

So a total of $7000-8000 for 550+rwhp.

tajmas

Reaction score
I agree with ThomasW, on the moter, and Powerfreak on the suspension. I inherited my son's '96 GT, after he was murdered 19 monthes ago. And have a punch list of his to build. I've been spending alot of time learning, and money trying to complete his dreams. He put a'99GT motor in it, with headers, exhaust, Spec stg3 clutch w/alum. flywh., and Cobra brakes. Now I'm putting in a Tremic 600R trans., carbon fiber driveshaft, Trutrac diff., Moser 31spline axles, and 3:73's. I've also spent about $3500 on a MM suspension, which they assure me will hook-up, and handle like a super car. Then it's up grade the cooling system, forged internals, and finally a KB to top it off. I'm not sure what kind of power I'll get out of this, but I suppose it will exceed 500rwhp, with out everything falling apart. First you have to be able to stop, then you have to get all the power to the ground. Next up grade the drive train to handle all the power. Then you can put the adder on. That's when you can take a $15,000-$18,000 car and put a $60,000-80,000 car to shame. That would be pretty sweet, anyway just my .02

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Cwacaser

Members online