Rio Red 98 GT Build

OP
OP
lwarrior1016

lwarrior1016

Mr. Secondary Timing Chain
Staff
Reaction score
If you ever find yourself sitting there on a Sunday afternoon, just thinking, “man, I really want a challenge today” then go grab yourself a 99-04 mustang gas tank and cut the freaking vapor valve out without breaking it, or damaging the rubber seal.

The valve is apparently made of unobtanium and the only way to get it is from the junk yard. Then you can’t just pop it out, because it’ll break. You have to cut it out of the used gas tank and hope you don’t blow up. Lol 72998583548__5F9B91DD-62A9-4928-B1F4-7ACD5E297B67.jpegIMG_1260.jpeg

98snakehorse

Reaction score
I think it’ll give me more room for boost pipes. Both sides from my intercooler are going to wrap around the radiator instead of going up in to the fender apron.

Going to a tubular core support on my old sn95 made such a big difference in room and accessibility. I moved the radiator a little lower and toward the front.

Snorky

Reaction score
If you ever find yourself sitting there on a Sunday afternoon, just thinking, “man, I really want a challenge today” then go grab yourself a 99-04 mustang gas tank and cut the freaking vapor valve out without breaking it, or damaging the rubber seal.

The valve is apparently made of unobtanium and the only way to get it is from the junk yard. Then you can’t just pop it out, because it’ll break. You have to cut it out of the used gas tank and hope you don’t blow up. Lol View attachment 32805View attachment 32806
That'll do pig

OP
OP
lwarrior1016

lwarrior1016

Staff
Reaction score
Interesting!

I wonder if thats a mustang specific part or its carryover for multiple platforms
I’m not real sure about that. I started looking in to this after swapping to electric rack in my s197. I know this rack is close to correct dimension for the mustang, the input has the correct shaft so the SN steering shaft will bolt on. And it looks like it’s all built at the same angle as the sn. So, maybe some attachment modifications and custom inner tie rods and we’ll be in business.

OP
OP
lwarrior1016

lwarrior1016

Staff
Reaction score
Got the tank all put together this evening. I got new seals for the two vapor valves. Got the pump height set and the pumps hanging in the hat. I riveted the ground wire to the body of the level sender, so hopefully that will stay secure.

I don’t know how other folks are doing it, but I had to take the float arm off, stick the assembly down in the tank, then reconnect the arm. I don’t know how you would pull it off with 3 pumps in there.

Also got the Fore pump connectors installed on the pump wires, so they will connect up to the pump controller.
IMG_1287.jpegIMG_1288.jpegIMG_1290.jpeg

OP
OP
lwarrior1016

lwarrior1016

Staff
Reaction score
Steering rack showed up last night. It looks like I could probably use a s197 bumpsteer kit and keep the stock inner tie rods. So, here soon, I’ll pull my current rack down and see what this one looks like in the car.

This is compared to the manual rack I pulled from the SN IMG_1292.jpeg

OP
OP
lwarrior1016

lwarrior1016

Staff
Reaction score
Started building lines for the fuel system today. That’s all going alright. I also test fit the s550 rack and it seems I am going to abandon that idea. To get the rack to fit, it has to be moved forward. The needs a longer steering shaft that would no longer be collapsible. It also puts the tie rods at a rearward angle. And it seems like it losses steering angle by about 15° over the stock power rack. I imagine that has something to do with a ball joint location difference or the tie angle.

So that rack will get used on my f100 instead.

weendoggy

Reaction score
Started building lines for the fuel system today. That’s all going alright. I also test fit the s550 rack and it seems I am going to abandon that idea. To get the rack to fit, it has to be moved forward. The needs a longer steering shaft that would no longer be collapsible. It also puts the tie rods at a rearward angle. And it seems like it losses steering angle by about 15° over the stock power rack. I imagine that has something to do with a ball joint location difference or the tie angle.

So that rack will get used on my f100 instead.
I was curious how you were going to fit that. When I did my swap and had the S197 for parts, lots of folks (not me) said put the E-rack in. Yeah, easy for them because they weren't doing the work. I knew it wouldn't fit so didn't give it a second thought. However, I'm lazy too. ;)

OP
OP
lwarrior1016

lwarrior1016

Staff
Reaction score
I was curious how you were going to fit that. When I did my swap and had the S197 for parts, lots of folks (not me) said put the E-rack in. Yeah, easy for them because they weren't doing the work. I knew it wouldn't fit so didn't give it a second thought. However, I'm lazy too. ;)
I really, really wanted to use that rack. I just don’t see how it would work and maintain any sort of correct steering geometry

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
peasant99

Members online