Run, Forest, Run! - 95 GT Open Track Build

OP
OP
V

v6mustang94

Reaction score
Cooling is the next big issue I need to tackle. I'm having to pull off the track early to let the car cool, and today it finally caught up with me. My radiator cracked on the neck where the upper radiator hose connects. I had been planning to get a new radiator in the off-season, so I guess this just accelerates that process.

What are some of the top radiator choices? Sounds like some guys like to run stock replacements, and others like to find a 3 run core. How about fans? Are there more efficient ones out there? Any other tips and tricks?

hotmustang95

Reaction score
Currently I'm using a stock and it works fine. Would like to see cooler temps with it during an event but that's just me. As long as it doesn't overheat. I had a fluidyne for about 5 years until it sprung a leak. I blame it on the cooling additives because after it failed I replaced it with a stock unit as a temp until I could get another performance one. Filled it with one bottle of water wetter and water and in one weak it had a nasty leak. Bought a second new stock one. This time I filled it with 2 bottles of liquid ice from royal purple and water and again in one week it had a nasty leak. Bought a third new stock rad and this time only filled it with water and one bottle of water pump lubricant. Think I've had it around 8 months now with no issues. I plan to get another fluidyne in the future only this time no cooling additives. I'm convinced that they eat away at the inside of a rad and eventually leak. I searched around and found others who've had the same issue. I believe the fluidyne because of it's better construction and more material lasted longer then a stock unit when filled with cooling additives. It should've lasted much longer. Rad's are not supposed to go bad after only five years. There are cars with 15 year old and older rad's out there still going. A performance rad should've lasted even longer.

wmfateam

Reaction score
I run a Mishimoto that I boxed the top, bottom and sides, removed the stock fan and added a lower air damn. As long as I am moving, she runs cooler than I have ever seen. I run hard for the full 20 minutes. Shorter tracks (one minute laps). Running 50/50 Peak. No fan. One lap of cool down. I will be running race group this weekend at Inde Motorsports Ranch so I will able to comment about a big open track.

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk

OP
OP
V

v6mustang94

Reaction score
A few laps from my track day yesterday. I think it's the second full lap (3rd if you include the out lap), I run my personal best. According to the Track Attack phone app it was a 1:59.023. The previous lap was a 1:59.493. I started running 2:01's when I was following the S2000.

[video=youtube;nabOvSEIPxE]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nabOvSEIPxE[/video]

OP
OP
V

v6mustang94

Reaction score
Thanks. Definitely getting more comfortable. I had one of the instructors ride with me during my first session. All he had to say was that my lines were good, practice practice practice, and build confidence.

OP
OP
V

v6mustang94

Reaction score
What are you going to run for fluid then? I'm assuming you aren't going to run a coolant mix.

OP
OP
V

v6mustang94

Reaction score
Yes, sorry. Thought I quoted you. Does water pump lubricant prevent corrosion?

RichV

Reaction score
Distilled water and Water Wetter is what I use.

OP
OP
V

v6mustang94

Reaction score
It's been a quiet year for Forest and I. After a disappointing track day due to power steering fluid overflow, I haven't been doing much other than cruising around and saving money. I'm hoping to buy a home next year, and squeeze in a few upgrades for the car during winter first.

With that said, here's my little update. I have two projects in mind that I'd like to tackle.

1. Power. The motor in this car is basically stock power. I just want more. I have an H/C/I build planned out with the goal of at least being over 300 to the wheels.

2. Nose dive. I had buddy at the track with me running in a different group earlier this year. I had him take some pictures of me on track. I quickly learned just how bad the nose dips on this car during braking. I want to work on flattening the car out during braking. I don't know if this also means upgrading the rear brakes a little as well. I have a lot of research to do here yet.

white95

Apex Junky
Admin
Reaction score
2. Nose dive. I had buddy at the track with me running in a different group earlier this year. I had him take some pictures of me on track. I quickly learned just how bad the nose dips on this car during braking. I want to work on flattening the car out during braking. I don't know if this also means upgrading the rear brakes a little as well. I have a lot of research to do here yet.

Contact Maximum Motorsports for this:

http://www.maximummotorsports.com/1994-98-Mustang-1999-04-GT-Starter-Box-P185.aspx

That might seem like a ton of money for not a lot of parts BUT it's an engineered package. This will ease the few concerns you're having that will keep your focus on learning to drive faster. The C/C plates will remain with the car through every stage of growth you throw at it until you step up to a SLA front suspension.

OP
OP
V

v6mustang94

Reaction score
I've been planning on calling MM. I'm already running a few of their parts; including the CC plates. I've been eyeing up the adjustable Bilstein shocks/struts on AM. Just need to find the right spring. I was considering doing a coil over swap, but I don't know if it's necessary at this point.

white95

Apex Junky
Admin
Reaction score
Good start!! They can put together packages that aren't listed online.

Food for thought: I had Koni adjustable struts and to be honest, they're unnecessary for enthusiast level guys like us. Too many variables!!

IMO you should stick to a non-adjustable but specific valved strut/shock combo. Talk to Jack Hidley over at MM about your car and goal. He will help you iron out a solid plan for exactly what you need and don't need.

OP
OP
V

v6mustang94

Reaction score
My mistake, I meant Koni before. Thanks for your feedback on the adjustable options. I was planning on adjustable because I've already done springs, shocks, and struts once. Adjustable seemed like a good idea for some extra flexibility the second time around.

None the less, I recognize I can't make a decision without talking with the Mustang suspension experts first.

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
virocanah

Members online