Rustang Recovery. Red 94 v6 auto fixed w/ help of a 99 V6 5speed

OP
OP
C

caldeio

Reaction score
ok ok :) no new edge stuff!

so if i did a complete splitport swap from my 99. do you keep fuel tank? ill use ecu and stuff. pats and all or whatever
cus......I just bought that new fuel pump and bracket. Did i jump the gun?:violent1:

OP
OP
C

caldeio

Reaction score
Ok got a LMR fuel pump bracket, with a TREPerformance TRE-340, 255lph pump. I've never heard of this brand ever. I took the foam guard off it too see what brand pump it was and also cus it had started getting hard/dry rot so i don't want rubber falling off into my tank! Not bad for 43$ shipped?

Bought a face shield so i can do more grinding and when i get the POR15, i don't need any in my eyes!
Just bought new fuel pump lock ring+oring, fuel strainer, and the fuel filler tube seal. Gastank is complete now!! :)

I'm like 99% sure I can make my 99 mustang's rear fuel supply line work on my car. Dropping the 99's gastank now. I'll just have to do a return feed now, so that saves me a good 50-60 bucks.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------

Picking up a gallon of POR15 (Marine Clean) Cleaner/Degreaser at the local surplus store. I think it was 10$..if it's under 22, it's cheaper than online!!
Picking up a gallon of POR15 Metal prep
Once I get these Honda Trike rear Fenders, and muffler shipped. I'll order a gallon of POR15 Gloss Black. I know I won't need this much, but I'm gonna go crazy! Put a screw in the side and I'm not gonna use the lid. I'll paint all the underside, and then with what's left do the inside under the carpet, doors, quarter panels.

OP
OP
C

caldeio

Reaction score
Took lots of pics!
Add new fender badges, rims, fixed a few dents. Cleaned and repainted any outside rust. Chopped the antenna down, and painted it red to match.
N0i2ZA8.jpg

Clean all the junk out from the other owner, vacuumed and spray vinegar and cleaner on everything. Still need to take out the center console and clean up all the ashes and ciggy butts.
Using 99 radio bezel for now. No plans to paint it or anything. Ill be using the shifter bezel from the 99. I think I might use the seats too. I havent decided on that though.
I want to get a new steering wheel, its trashed. I'd like to get black but I do have 99 parts. I think its grey or this beige color.
Thoughts?

mbkw5AV.jpg

TRE-255lph fuel pump, LMR bracket, Russell EFI adapter on the feed. New pump filter. Needs a slight cleaning before I put it in the tank.
ChwUJQG.jpg

Surplus store is 50% off. Those prices are pretty accurate Amazon.com prices too.
7IH0elU.jpg

Still need to get my hose ends, I'm hoping they come tomorrow! 6ft of ProFlex hosing
Ox1X2bF.jpg

30 brushs to paint with! You can also see some of the interior I wire brushed and painted for now. I want to sand this down again and then paint it with rust paint.
I already started working on the trunk and have some metal to mess around with.
jHt1TMy.jpg

Return fuel line
LW3Wpid.jpg

Ok I want to add this maybe?
drfmlS3.jpg

Ok and the last pics, here's the 8.8 rearend from the white mustang. Notice no quad shocks right??
X4zlX4i.jpg

This is the front brake line that connects the sides i think?? right be the rubber caliper line. this is the brake line I need to replace on my Red 94, can i use it off the 99??????????????
7KUIA68.jpg

OP
OP
C

caldeio

Reaction score
Took these a few days ago, Ive painted way more since then. Ill upload more soon!
I ran out of brushes, and bought a few more. :p

I think I've painted all I can with brushes where the gastank goes so I'm gonna put that back in!

Still want to do some painting on the underside of the radiator core (got most of it but the bumper is blocking it and I don't like crawling under the car supported), and the middle of the underbody. I need another coat on the bottom of the doors and a few spots on the inside that I missed.

Can't paint directly above the driveshaft, inside where the control arms bolt onto and I few area that the axle blocks. When I swap over the 8.8 and do the transmission swap, I'll be buying more paint and doing these spots then. It's way more paint covered than the pics, remember there quite a few days old.

pRvDTrj.jpg

stn2YUA.jpg

1nEuEWr.jpg

HYhO7T8.jpg

2hDWoLQ.jpg

MnRVKhD.jpg

6sm5GYp.jpg

Swapped over my trunk props, and started working on the trunk release button. I'm not sure I can do this unless i run new wires. I'll take pics, but im pretty sure i have the connections. I had the hole lol

OP
OP
C

caldeio

Reaction score
POR15 will cover a lot more than you expect. Idk how much you plan to do, but I think 1 qt is def a safe bet. If you used a whole gallon, I would shit a brick.
Better start! I went through a gallon! :p Ill need another quart at least to do the driveshaft tunnel, 8.8 and the transmission when I do that swap so Ill just buy another gallon.

I'll post pics soon of the underside! Its very nice!

Finished modifing my spindles for the PBR swap :) Painted it and as soon as the paint dries I can put the brakes back on! I'm gonna try and bleed them tomorrow with some help.

Gastank was first thing i painted but it's going on next!

4bSZxOf.jpg

hY2Q51S.jpg

0hhP2WK.jpg

g4gL2Ep.jpg

upxg2VC.jpg

qOwbKg2.jpg

JkdPTWP.jpg

KDerekT83

Reaction score
getting a little brush happy with the por15 huh? awesome project. glad to see a 6pack getting some love for a change.

OP
OP
C

caldeio

Reaction score
Ok pbr swap is done, just waiting to bleed the brakes so I can take a picture of the car done.
touched up any spots I missed with paint, Ill finished the rest whenever I save enough for full length subframe connectors. Hopefully around right before the time I swap the 8.8 and drivetrain/engine.
mounted gas tank for a leak test, its not so heavy! :rolleyes:

So how much gas do you think is the bare minimum to do a test start? I don't want to put to much gas then have a leak and have to drop the tank again with more gas than I need to carry.

KDerekT83

Reaction score
I'd start off with a gallon of gas. that should be just enough to cover the bottom of the tank but still enough the fuel pump can suck it up while keeping weight at a minimum. if its not enough, add a half gallon. and go from there. that's what I would do.

OP
OP
C

caldeio

Reaction score
Ok got the gastank on and bolted up completely. I had to drop it twice and put it back up. Im so glad I only put 2 gallons in it.

Pump wiring is a bit funky, it wasnt working at first. Also had a leak so I had to drop the tank again and tighten up the efi to -6an adapter.
The pump is amazing! Once I got it running and tried a test, it shot gasoline out like crazy. It didn't even drip just puked 255lph on the ground :)
2016-10-22.jpg

She runs good. Ran for 30 mins. At first it was horrible and stumbled but after maybe 20 seconds she settled down and sounded normal! Must be from sitting!
Rear sounded very stiff and I cant tell if its the transmission or just the rear brakes or even the axle. Had to rev up to move and heard the car free up. Moved the car slightly and found out very quickly I need to re-bleed the brakes! I almost went into my ditch :p

New pics soon!

Gonna start working on the 99 to get the engine and trans out.

KDerekT83

Reaction score
Just the rear brakes. When a car sits so long, and you move it all of a sudden, its normal to feel like the brake pads are "glued to the rotors". you just had to break the seal so to speak.

OP
OP
C

caldeio

Reaction score
It's time to gut the white stang and get it ready for scrap. ;)

She started right up after sitting for years and ran great! I did drain the fuel rail twice and add fresh gas. I cant wait to drive 5spd again!

This upcoming week, engine and trans are getting pulled and the hopefully the dash and all wiring harness's. First time pulling engine, but I got this!

4Y7bU6l.jpg

OP
OP
C

caldeio

Reaction score
Couple of questions...

To take driveshaft off, i should use a knuckle/swivel attachment, or wrench?

where should i bolt my engine hoist/leveler too? 4 spots please.

I've taken all wire harness off from engine, drivers seat, center console, took off the gastank, radiator. muffler just fell off so i can almost say the midpipe is off :p

got power steering, and headers to go correct?

then i can start working on the crossmember?

------------
sucks, i have 2 jackstands and a third thats shorter and one floor jack.. not sure what to do

g36 monkey

Post Whore
SN95 Supporter
Reaction score
I think next time around I am going to drop the motor from the bottom, undo the K and cross member and raise the car.

OP
OP
C

caldeio

Reaction score
wrench should be fine for the driveshaft. plates like these on the exhaust, mine had 1 on it already, and i bought another on ebay. 2 was plenty of lift points.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/like/122219257606?lpid=82&chn=ps&ul_noapp=true

I just got these today, they dont fit?

can you or someone else take a picture of these brackets?

can i pull the engine like this with trans attached?

8ptyidq.jpg

z2hkiNB.jpg

vnytm3W.jpg

driveshaft painted off the 99
sWCMBRZ.jpg

-----------
i think i need to take off the ac pump, and i have to buy a swivel to get to the exhaust off the headers. headers as well

dash is close to being ready! one bolt being the cluster and i need to take the light stem off!

not sure want else. trans is supported by wood right now and i have the two main motor mount bolts still in but there ready to get taken off.

Steering isnt in the way but will it be?

I think next time around I am going to drop the motor from the bottom, undo the K and cross member and raise the car.

I don't think i can safely do this. Im ready to do whatever is faster though at this point.

I even thought about just pulling trans and the heads so not the block but i dont have funds for parts only fluids at this point.
Also thinking i need more chassis saver for trans tunnel and any areas i missed.

I really want this done in the next month, need money ill get from 99 shell asap

OP
OP
C

caldeio

Reaction score
Got the dash out while I wait on my swivel socket for the exhaust. I'd have to drop the exhaust no matter what I do.

you guys want any parts off this car let me know asap. send pm?

I'll be swapping my black skin over and only keeping the beige/tan steering wheel(swapping the black column pieces to 99 column)
Gc0XxWq.jpg

so glad my flashlight is bright and lasts long, under the dash is like a cave

OP
OP
C

caldeio

Reaction score
pulled:
both wire harness's
pedal assembly

got the engine loose and ready to pull but im hung up on the exhaust. i couldnt get it loose and its not in a good spot for a propane torch.

Thinking of just cutting it off :) its that of take off headers and the egr stuff. (ill have to find a wrench for this)

also got the rear end control arms loose and working on taking the brake line off, the rear Y is giving me trouble so i might just take the bracket off and all the lines.
ASaPCfQ.jpg

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Vallybell

Members online