Sad day at Thunderhill

hondarocks61

Reaction score
Glad your alright man, these are the risks we take I suppose. I think you should build another sn95. But hey, Miata's are sweet too...

MadStang

Reaction score
this is the best video i have of what I'm talking about. There was a lot of controversy in the NASCAR community over her letting go of the steering wheel. The rednecks of the sport were calling it a girl move yadda yadda yadda. What they don't realize is the impact that the steering assembly is forced to absorb. Look at how the steering column flies upward and how the wheel snaps. had Danica not let go of the steering wheel she probably would have been severely injured.

Fast forward to 1:17
[video=youtube;nwLdY9UxX6g]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nwLdY9UxX6g[/video]

ttocs

Post Whore
Reaction score
I know watching fi they say the same thing. I know watching it that they do like he said and just grab their harness and hold of for the ride...

MustangChris

Post Whore
SN95 Supporter
Reaction score
this is the best video i have of what I'm talking about. There was a lot of controversy in the NASCAR community over her letting go of the steering wheel. The rednecks of the sport were calling it a girl move yadda yadda yadda. What they don't realize is the impact that the steering assembly is forced to absorb. Look at how the steering column flies upward and how the wheel snaps. had Danica not let go of the steering wheel she probably would have been severely injured.

Fast forward to 1:17
[video=youtube;nwLdY9UxX6g]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nwLdY9UxX6g[/video]

holy ****!

mcglsr2

SN95 Supporter
Reaction score
Sucks man, sorry to hear it - glad you made it through.

ProKiller

Reaction score
that thing go incredibly messed up for hitting a tire wall too. sucks man but like you said, you're okay and already looking for a replacement. good luck on your search!

OP
OP
B

ba#97

Reaction score
So in the next few days I may very well be posting up pics of the new project car. I have a couple of options right now, still in the search for another sn, but I also have the chance to have a nasa spec e30 built from the ground up, so...needless to say, I will keep you guys up to date on what I've got going on.

RichV

Reaction score
E30 = point and shoot

SN95 = wrestling a bear to get it to go where you want

But the Mustang is more fun, who wants reliability and good handling. Pffft. Where's the fun in that?

mcglsr2

SN95 Supporter
Reaction score
E30 = point and shoot

But the Mustang is more fun, who wants reliability and good handling. Pffft. Where's the fun in that?

This. E30 = boooooooring (like I know, I've never driven one :) )

bonestock3.8DTH

Reaction score
That is so painful and sad to see, I loved your car, I hope you get back on the Horse and build another one out of the ashes of your old ride. Good luck man, and welcome home!

OP
OP
B

ba#97

Reaction score
E30 = point and shoot

Rich, so since youre the NASA driver on the site, what do you honestly think would be the better route? If I do another stang it will be a blast, and that is definitely why I like the mustang side, I loved my car and how it drove. But! If I do a mustang again, I'm not aiming it for a class in NASA. I'm going to probably stick with redline time attack and some of the other club based time trials up here in norcal.

Or, with the e30....the car seems fun, not quite as fast as our cars but if I do go that route, I will for sure be getting my comp license and racing for sure. I talked to the builder, and they were saying the normal numbers out here for the class were 20-24 cars and the lowest beingo 16. So...tough choices! Lol.

And...thanks for the kind words everyone and the welcoming home. Its nice to be back!

RichV

Reaction score
Rich, so since youre the NASA driver on the site, what do you honestly think would be the better route? If I do another stang it will be a blast, and that is definitely why I like the mustang side, I loved my car and how it drove. But! If I do a mustang again, I'm not aiming it for a class in NASA. I'm going to probably stick with redline time attack and some of the other club based time trials up here in norcal.

Or, with the e30....the car seems fun, not quite as fast as our cars but if I do go that route, I will for sure be getting my comp license and racing for sure. I talked to the builder, and they were saying the normal numbers out here for the class were 20-24 cars and the lowest beingo 16. So...tough choices! Lol.

And...thanks for the kind words everyone and the welcoming home. Its nice to be back!

Well, depending on region, racing is no fun without a class. My 1st race car was a Spec E30, wanted to do something different. Got my race license in it, but didn't have a class. GTS wasn't happening yet, and I was the only Spec E30 with a bunch of Spec 944s. It was fun goofing around with the 944s but I needed someone to race with. If Spec E30 is a popular class in your region, do it!! CMC was my choice because of my Mustang roots and we had at least 5 cars at every event. It's been a blast so far, more competition brings some 'politics' but all in all my competitors would do anything to help any CMC driver. So the camaraderie is important in the race classes, as well as fitting in with the group. Take some time to walk through the paddock and talk to the drivers about mods and costs. Once you're running with that class they may not be as open, but that's OK, you won't give out your secrets if you're running in the front.

... when I say 'class' I mean racers, or car count.

CMC has some #s in your region right?

OP
OP
B

ba#97

Reaction score
Well, depending on region, racing is no fun without a class. My 1st race car was a Spec E30, wanted to do something different. Got my race license in it, but didn't have a class. GTS wasn't happening yet, and I was the only Spec E30 with a bunch of Spec 944s. It was fun goofing around with the 944s but I needed someone to race with. If Spec E30 is a popular class in your region, do it!! CMC was my choice because of my Mustang roots and we had at least 5 cars at every event. It's been a blast so far, more competition brings some 'politics' but all in all my competitors would do anything to help any CMC driver. So the camaraderie is important in the race classes, as well as fitting in with the group. Take some time to walk through the paddock and talk to the drivers about mods and costs. Once you're running with that class they may not be as open, but that's OK, you won't give out your secrets if you're running in the front.

... when I say 'class' I mean racers, or car count.

CMC has some #s in your region right?

Yeah the car count for e30 out here is huge, and from what I was told when talking to the builder, next season there is a HP cap for that class to keep costs down and bring it back to more of a drivers class again. As for cmc, and ai...norcal and socal have terrible numbers. Which is why if I did another mustang it would be pointed in a time trial direction. But hm, good advice no matter what! I'm pretty indecisive when it comes to these choices...Lol. Cuz right now both choices seem good. And the cost seems like once both are said and done it'll be relatively the same. I do feel like I want to go racing sooner or later so I may just lean towards the e30 after all honestly.

MadStang

Reaction score
Yeah the car count for e30 out here is huge, and from what I was told when talking to the builder, next season there is a HP cap for that class to keep costs down and bring it back to more of a drivers class again. As for cmc, and ai...norcal and socal have terrible numbers. Which is why if I did another mustang it would be pointed in a time trial direction. But hm, good advice no matter what! I'm pretty indecisive when it comes to these choices...Lol. Cuz right now both choices seem good. And the cost seems like once both are said and done it'll be relatively the same. I do feel like I want to go racing sooner or later so I may just lean towards the e30 after all honestly.

I'm in SCCA mainly (eventually will be going to NASA with the mustang though) but know that NASA Spec Miata Challenge is still the best grassroots racing series around. The numbers are still huge, at the last event I was at this year there was a 32 car field for Spec Miata. In your region it shows that there's about 36 regularly active and 59 total in Spec Miata. Just for reference, you can buy a fully setup SPEC miata for $3000 nowadays, really cheap racing, and those cars are damn near bullet proof as well.

OP
OP
B

ba#97

Reaction score
I'm in SCCA mainly (eventually will be going to NASA with the mustang though) but know that NASA Spec Miata Challenge is still the best grassroots racing series around. The numbers are still huge, at the last event I was at this year there was a 32 car field for Spec Miata. In your region it shows that there's about 36 regularly active and 59 total in Spec Miata. Just for reference, you can buy a fully setup SPEC miata for $3000 nowadays, really cheap racing, and those cars are damn near bullet proof as well.

The only problem with spec miata nowadays is that there isn't a HP cap like what will be in e30 next year, so that makes it a lot easier for the guys with a bigger wallet to get out and whoop up on the little guy that can't afford to redo motors couple times a year. The guy that I am talking to that did the cobra's cage does spec e30 and spec miata cars and he's kind of my source on all this info. Just from what I am hearing, nothing against miatas cuz I would love to race either class. And I'm keeping my options open. Trying to get as much advice as I can, I'm getting back in the saddle soon enough though no matter what I decide to hop into.

MadStang

Reaction score
The only problem with spec miata nowadays is that there isn't a HP cap like what will be in e30 next year, so that makes it a lot easier for the guys with a bigger wallet to get out and whoop up on the little guy that can't afford to redo motors couple times a year. The guy that I am talking to that did the cobra's cage does spec e30 and spec miata cars and he's kind of my source on all this info. Just from what I am hearing, nothing against miatas cuz I would love to race either class. And I'm keeping my options open. Trying to get as much advice as I can, I'm getting back in the saddle soon enough though no matter what I decide to hop into.

Whenever you get into spec racing you're going to have that kind of problem though IMO. Sure you can limit the amount of power you can make but there are still other ways to legally find a loophole. Just my opinion though, that's why I'm not a huge fan of spec classes, they're cool to watch but I'd get frustrated racing in it lol.

RichV

Reaction score

I strongly disagree here. SM is a popular class in a lot of places and has decent car counts, but cheap it is not. $3000 SM will never be competitive in a field where they spend $10k on motors alone. SM is extremely competitive, and any class can get to that level. But it has become a checkbook racing class versus the grassroots it once was.

OP
OP
B

ba#97

Reaction score
I really can't see where else you can find a loophole because in all honesty there's only so much you can do to the cars. The motor was the only spot that could really get you that advantage. Case and point, they were telling me that the big buck team in the region this past year dyno'd at over 170hp in their cars. Whereas everyone else had around 150. Lol. That's a big difference right there!