Some suspension input for a budget build

Motojoe

Reaction score
Like the title says I'm looking for some suspension ideas to replace my blown stock shocks. I am on a budget and really don't use the car for anything serious. Just something to cruse around in. I was thinking koni str with h&r ss or the sr brand shocks from american muscle because the low spring rate should pair good with the konis. I would do poly isolaters. Now the next big concern is alignment and camber bolts. Think the camber bolts will get me back to normal camber or will I need plates. I have read so many different reviews. Lastly, are rear upper and lower control arms necessary? I know it's a lot but I appreciate the help and advice.

B.mad

Preferred Vendor
Reaction score
H&R are a bit more stiff, not unless you are used to stiff springs will be be happy. And paired with the koni orange shocks it will suck for DD (as it is said) but again its up to you. It wouldnt be a terrible ride, but something you wont be used to. You will must likely need CC plates because the SS springs will drop your car almost 2 inches. So the camber bolts will be good for a temp fix but not for a nice tuned alignment. Also since it is a low drop you will need bumpsteer kits to correct the geo. And rear controls are necessary, obviously if your car comes with them. Aftermarket ones arent necessary, but highly recommended. And more than likely if you decide to do some 315's rear tires you will need to remove the quad shocks, and youll need some aftermarket control arms to solve that problem.

I DD my 94 gt and i plan on doing lots of suspension work. But then again, i am a suspension nut.
my list includes:
H&R SS Springs with new poly front isos and no poly rear isos
koni orange (i was on a budget and LMR.com offer the them for $300 shipped)
MM CC plates
Steeda x2 ball joints w/ no spacer (extra .5" drop) and steeda bumpsteer kit
New front and rear sway bar upgrades
Full length SFC
Rear BBK lower control arms
Front tubular control arms
MM panhard bar
and any bushings needing replacement will be prothane

RichV

Reaction score
What is your budget?

The orange Konis have a hit/miss reputation with aftermarket springs. The H&R SS spring rates are very high for a street car IMO, and not sure the str.t shocks will last.

CC'S95GT

Post Whore
Reaction score
Since your on a budget, get some FRPP B springs. They're progressive rate and ride like stock, lower the car @1"-1 1/4". No need for CC plates. Then replace your shocks and struts when you get more coin.
Dark blue 98 is my son's on B springs, and the light blue is mine on sportlines (1.5" drop)

OP
OP
M

Motojoe

Reaction score
I'm looking to do a 1.5 drop front and rear. The sr spring from America. Muscle have a rate of 525 front and 250 rear which is on the soft side and I think will work well with the konis. I don't want any less of a drop than 1.5. I keep reading a ton of positive reviews on camber bolts. A lot of people with a light drop get by with them as opposed to plates. Anyone using them?

330CubeGt

Reaction score
Good info in here, another option is $20-30 camber bolts for the struts.I've never got full adjustment out of cc plates on my dropped mustangs. Always had to go to a camber bolt in the strut.

-330CubeGt

OP
OP
M

Motojoe

Reaction score
330, think I can get away with just camber bolts and not use plates? How much adjustment did you get out of yours

330CubeGt

Reaction score
Yea, I had just camber bolts on my 97 Cobra at one time and it gave me more adjustment then then any c.f. plates I've ever used. I mean you can mess with caster. But you shouldn't really nead to. Just talking from a budget builder standpoint.

-330CubeGt

B.mad

Preferred Vendor
Reaction score
the CC plates is said to be used for cars that have a big drop. Camber bolts work fine for a lower brought. and the SS springs are progessive for 94-95 gt but still have a high spring rate. just keep in mind that H&R is really known in the autocross world, and SR springs are just a budget brand from AM.com So the quality obviously wont be the same. But hey it has good reviews so give it a try and let us know! my dad wants to get the SR springs for his 07 gt, but i want more out of my suspension so im getting the SS and eventually going to upgrade to koni yellows.

the5.ohh

Legend
Reaction score
If your getting rear upper and lower control arms.. Get J&M! Have their upper and lowers on my 95 and I love them. Really tightened up the rear, feels nice and solid.

OP
OP
M

Motojoe

Reaction score
Hey the5.0hh I see your in Staten Island. I'm in queens but work in bk. you go anywhere for your work or do most yourself. I have done most of the work on my cars but for a tune or other bigger projects it would be nice to know a good shop in the tri state

OP
OP
M

Motojoe

Reaction score
So I called american muscle and they said the camber bolts will work with the sr springs because the drop is milf. And the springs aren't advertised as progressive on the site. The numbers were a lot lower than the h&r ss. The new issue is I think I need ball joints. The front end squeaks like crazy when I turn the wheel at a low speed or even stopped. I'm going to end up replacing them too. I hope it's not a pain in the ass job. I'm surprised they are shot with 73k miles. I need to get under there and check everything else before I start lowering it.

Reaction score
Late model resto has new control arms complete with bushings and BJs for $95.99.
May be cheaper and easier just to swap the whole control arm?Pretty sure this is what I'm going to do.

snowman23

Reaction score
Late model resto has new control arms complete with bushings and BJs for $95.99.
May be cheaper and easier just to swap the whole control arm?Pretty sure this is what I'm going to do.

That is what I did on my Fox when I had it. It was slightly more money for the part but a much easier job labor wise.

OP
OP
M

Motojoe

Reaction score
Well it's all in. Koni str shocks and struts. Sr drop springs. And caster camber plates. I didn't even drive the car because I finished so late. I also rented the ball joint tool from autozone and replaced my ball joints. It wasn't that bad but it was not fun at all. Especially the ball joints. Probably the hardest part of the job. My only question (and I hope I didn't **** up)

was as I supposed to re use the stock bump stop from my old front strut. I installed them on my new struts but in previous cars I had to cut them down or replace them. The rear shock dust cover doesn't come off so you can't change the stock bump stop. My only concern was the front. Thanks guys. ease let me know because if they have to come out I want to do it before a wheel alignment today.

Also so my front dropped a lot. Really low. And my rears haven't gone down that much. I'm assuming there isn't much weight in the rear and it takes longer to settle? Also gas tank is on E

CC'S95GT

Post Whore
Reaction score
When I installed my Koni Red adj s/s I needed to cut the bump stop. I got the shocks and struts used so I had to downloan the instructions from the koni web site.

As for the drop on the front, did you reinstall the spring isolators?

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hazel113

Members online

No members online now.