Supercharged NPI?

Outlaw97GT

Reaction score
If I were to install some PI cams and a PI intake and add a supercharger.
What kind of #'s should I expect?
Best type s/c cent. or roots?
What about the 4.10's, keep or swap out for 3.55/3.73's?

Im not saying thats what Im gonna do, Im just thinking of all the routes. Me and my son are having a blast with my car. He already told me that he wants a 96-98 Mustang next year when he turns 16.
I gotta make sure I stay ahead of him.

281powered

Reaction score
if you were to add the pi stuff and a roots you probaby gain some were between 150 to 170hp at the motor :-\ but if your going the blower root definetly swap out the 4:10s for the 3:55 or possiably the 3:73s.

Dalamar

Post Whore
SN95 Supporter
Reaction score
That's tough to say exactly, depends on what cam you do. Maybe a crower supercharger spec or something.

I doubt you'll get over 120 HP tops, with the right cams and a very good tune.
You'll still have the small NPI headports, and a limited valve stroke.
most ppl get around 50-80 at the wheels using NPI heads, intake swap will help some, cams will2, hard to say exactly.

Looking at all that, I'd compair to a PI headswap, since you're looking at options.

On the supercharger, not many Posatives are avaliable to bolt onto NPI heads. (none worth mentioning)
I personally like the Posative displacement type better - BC you get your increase in power over most of the rpm range.

A centrifical will fit up, and you can run you're 410's with it, bc low end torque / traction isn't effected.
Traction is also directly related to your tire width and how good they are.

OP
OP
O

Outlaw97GT

Reaction score
Yeah thats what I am debating, PI swap or S/C. Looks like Im looking at around 320rwhp with a s/c, and could get real close to that with a PI swap with cams.

It looks like the best route would be to do the PI swap with thicker head-gaskets. So down the road I can do a S/C, maybe the FRPP @ 6psi.

My car still has pretty low mileage 79K, so I have a little more time.

DropTopPony

Post Whore
SN95 Supporter
Reaction score
Dalamar said:
On the supercharger, not many Posatives are avaliable to bolt onto NPI heads. (none worth mentioning)
I personally like the Posative displacement type better - BC you get your increase in power over most of the rpm range.
Kenne Bell /Allen Engine Development / Ford Racing all make nice PD blowers for NPI heads and all will get him over 300rwhp on low boost. Even more with supporting mods such as cams, headers, etc...9 psi pulley will add even more.

Dalamar

Post Whore
SN95 Supporter
Reaction score
Yes, well this get's into how much power you want to put down, and cost vs power gain.

I thought KB was only for cars with the PI heads, last time I looked.
If you look below they're numbers it says
"HP, torque and other boost levels are approx the same as 99-04 if late PI heads are used."

Do they make one that bolts onto NPI heads?

I've looked at all these options in debth for my car. Trying to find the best cost-effective way to get the most power.
The best NPI blower gains from a posative is from the saleen stage 2 or 3.
it is the eaton with a custom lower manifold.
But the lower manifold is restrictive, you're still looking at 320 rwhp tops.
I've followed alot of threads on it over the last few years. some guys have gone as far as acid etching the lower,
come to find out, the heads are the major restriction!!!

Allen - not worth mentioning.

Ford racing - too expensive for the 50 HP, i'ts just a baby eaton.
Sits low in the valley, same blower that Roush uses.

In fact a good friend of mine has an 01 roush, crower stage 3 cams, with the Ford racing eaton blower on his car.
He paid SVC 8K to put it on, took some custom brackets and machining, he has full exhaust and a very good tune.
He has about 380 rwhp. that's with PI heads.
there's some real feedback for ya.

It is cool how the pulley is down low, below the alternator, average guy wouldn't even think it was blown.

Are these blowers intercooled?
without it I doubt you could push 9# without retarding the timing quite a bit non intercooled.

Supporting mods will give you more gain.
As stated in my PI thread, if you just want low 300's, bolt all that stuff on baby.
you'll spend a pretty penny on it.

If you want more, PI heads are needed.
it's just fact.

I'd recommend adding up the options and comparing

Just wanted to clarify, Im in the same boat - dam HP is expensive!!

Dalamar

Post Whore
SN95 Supporter
Reaction score
Not trying to be a know-it-all

I've just looked at all these options before, and am willing to explain what I've found out to fellow mustang owners.

DropTopPony

Post Whore
SN95 Supporter
Reaction score
Dalamar said:
Yes, well this get's into how much power you want to put down, and cost vs power gain.

I thought KB was only for cars with the PI heads, last time I looked.
If you look below they're numbers it says
"HP, torque and other boost levels are approx the same as 99-04 if late PI heads are used."

Do they make one that bolts onto NPI heads?

I've looked at all these options in debth for my car. Trying to find the best cost-effective way to get the most power.
The best NPI blower gains from a posative is from the saleen stage 2 or 3.
it is the eaton with a custom lower manifold.
But the lower manifold is restrictive, you're still looking at 320 rwhp tops.
I've followed alot of threads on it over the last few years. some guys have gone as far as acid etching the lower,
come to find out, the heads are the major restriction!!!

Allen - not worth mentioning.

Ford racing - too expensive for the 50 HP, i'ts just a baby eaton.
Sits low in the valley, same blower that Roush uses.

In fact a good friend of mine has an 01 roush, crower stage 3 cams, with the Ford racing eaton blower on his car.
He paid SVC 8K to put it on, took some custom brackets and machining, he has full exhaust and a very good tune.
He has about 380 rwhp. that's with PI heads.
there's some real feedback for ya.

It is cool how the pulley is down low, below the alternator, average guy wouldn't even think it was blown.

Are these blowers intercooled?
without it I doubt you could push 9# without retarding the timing quite a bit non intercooled.

Supporting mods will give you more gain.
As stated in my PI thread, if you just want low 300's, bolt all that stuff on baby.
you'll spend a pretty penny on it.

If you want more, PI heads are needed.
it's just fact.

I'd recommend adding up the options and comparing

Just wanted to clarify, Im in the same boat - dam HP is expensive!!

Yes KB makes a NPI head blower, thats why i said it in my previous post because i know it to be fact!
The FRPP blower makes more like 90rwhp not 50 and how is it a baby eaton? It is a M112 just like the Cobra...i know this is fact also because i own one!
And how is the Allen not worth mentioning? It easily can add 100rwhp and is intercooled....

I think you need to look around. Lots of guys running these blowers with 9lb pulleys on NPI heads making 330-380 rwhp.
Once the NPI cams are switched out for PI or aftermarket the potential increases alot. Add some better valves and your really in business.

Dalamar

Post Whore
SN95 Supporter
Reaction score
Ok, i stand corrected.
Not trying to argue with you.

I will admit, I'm not super current on all the latest numbers, so I apologise for that.
Once I decided to go the PI route, I haven't stayed up to date on the NPI stuff.

Allen used to suck ass, if they're better now, thats somethin.

I still think the Saleen blower gives the best gains because of they're custom lower manifold.
Ford racing, Saleen and Roush blowers all use the eaton head.

There are two sized of eaton's used by ford.
My buddy with the roush said the Ford Racing blower he has is smaller than the one on the cobras...

How much power did you get from you ford racing kit?

Let's help this guy out by listing all the mods so he can tally up a total.

The 330-380 HP gains you mentioned - is that with cams ect. what other mods are involved.
I did specify that they would add power in my previous post.

You can get 330 rwhp from ported PI's and cams Naturally Asperated.

I think it's wise to look at all the details, alot of people get numbers to puffed up, or don't mention other things that effected the HP number they're flashing around.

Just my 2c.
Last time I added it all up it was a bit much for less than 400 HP.

In response to Outlaw's questions - hope this isn't too much crap to read through.
Cheapest rought would be to add nitrous, or a centrifical, and keep what you've got on there.

Dalamar

Post Whore
SN95 Supporter
Reaction score
Outlaw97GT said:
He already told me that he wants a 96-98 Mustang next year when he turns 16.
I gotta make sure I stay ahead of him.

2 mustangs in the family - sounds like fun.

Ya, you gotta stay ahead of the boy!

Spyder

Reaction score
Hey droptoppony, also too am curious as to what the supporting mods on the npi cars with 9psi have. Just wondering because you will not see that kind of horsepower output on a stock npi car. I would say its a far stretch for an npi car with anything less than a bit of cam and intake. i would say 300hp is a stretch and 380 is pissing in the wind.

OP
OP
O

Outlaw97GT

Reaction score
Droptop was saying with the FRPP blower, I follow you bro :thumb:

If I go with a s/c thats the one Im going with. Ive been doing alot of research on the FRPP, and think its more of what Im looking for.

Droptop knows his shit guys, I can't wait till he gets done with his little project. My inspiration.. :p

But I might be doing something different. I have a freind from work that just got a 86 GT, he is rebiulding the 5.0 for it now. Anyway he has a 01 GT also that he still owes a shitload for. He is thinking of letting it go back (repo) . So we might do a little switchy-switchy on the engines.
So I might have a 01 4.6 in my 97 soon... :dancing6:

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
marktuck99

Members online

No members online now.