T45 Source: Built or not?

BMAC96GT

Reaction score
Hey guys. Just looking for opinions. I'm taking two T45s to Zak at the T45 source for him to send me one completely rebuilt T45. I'm keeping the rebuild simple, just upgrading what needs to be, replacing what needs to be replaced, but not bullet proofing it. My plans for the car are PI cams/intake and a blower or turbo. Whatever I do, I plan to run stock short block so < 450rwhp.

My question: Will I regret not bulletproofing my tranny? A stock/slightly upgraded T45 is fine with this kind of power as long as I have a MGW with shift stops set properly right?

Will I regret not bullet proofing the trans with billet shift forks...etc?

96blak54

Staff
Reaction score
You need 3rd 4th billet fork! Beefed up input shaft would add security.

ttocs

Post Whore
Reaction score
so your taking 2 trannies to a builder so that they can do the minimum needed to it and then take the time to install it? Is there something wrong with the tranny ya have now or do you just like to swap stock trannies for a good time?

OP
OP
BMAC96GT

BMAC96GT

Reaction score
so your taking 2 trannies to a builder so that they can do the minimum needed to it and then take the time to install it? Is there something wrong with the tranny ya have now or do you just like to swap stock trannies for a good time?

Lol... the tranny in my car grinds in 2nd, 4th, and reverse. Pops out of gear, grinds going into gear...etc.

I then bought a "good condition" used T-45 that was supposed to be in perfect working condition. I drained the fluid and chipped gear teeth came pouring out of it.

I'm taking both of those trannys to Zak and he is shipping back one.

I got two quotes. The first one is for a complete rebuild with new seals, shift fork pads, synchro inserts, synchro rings and springs, and clutch fork pivot ball stud. $700

To get a transmission back with all of the above plus the billet shift forks, plates and pads making it much stronger is twice the price at almost $1400.

My question is: Do I really need to pay double for the stronger transmission and even more than that for the 26 spline if all I'm ever have is 400hp??

Wichers123

Reaction score
The t45 gears et is really strong the weak point is the garbage synchros and shift forks. I put 600hp threw one only a handful of times and the gears themselves held up. But I broke 3-4 shift fork. I just ordered the billet forks this weekend to install. I talked to him and he said he couldn't garentee the trans at 600 so I chose not to have it built.

96blak54

Staff
Reaction score
Their is a guy out of Louisville that make solid aluminum shift forks. Ill try to connect with him.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
TreeScholar

Members online