Tach Not working in 95 Mustang Project

BillG

Reaction score
Ok guys in all the excitement of getting the cobra motor running in the car and seeing how scary fun its going to be to drive I didn't notice if speedo was working but the tach wasn't working right at all. It would idle at 0 and when I took off it would take off from the other side of the dial. Is there a fix for this or am I going to have to invest in a new cluster. Thanks for all the help folks I can't wait to post pics of the final outcome.

OP
OP
BillG

BillG

Reaction score
Guys what clusters will work with the 95 GT model. If I have to change out the cluster would like to know what options I have. This one doesn't have the digital odometer.

evilcw311

Most Evil Member!
SN95 Supporter
Reaction score
Have you verified you have a good connection at the coil?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OP
OP
BillG

BillG

Reaction score
Have you verified you have a good connection at the coil?

All wires to the coil look and feel solid but thanks for giving me a place to start and trace. I was honestly so excited when it started with no issues and no smoke that all I saw was the low coolant light that went away after removing the cap and letting it breath and the ABS/ Emergency Brake lights on that I just missed the big picture.

evilcw311

Most Evil Member!
SN95 Supporter
Reaction score
Yeah it’s a good place to start. It could still be the tach itself but I’d rule out all possibilities between the cool and tach first.

Abs light could be a number of things. If the car sat for a long time then the sensors probably have a build up of brake dust and nasty stuff on them.

OP
OP
BillG

BillG

Reaction score
Yeah it’s a good place to start. It could still be the tach itself but I’d rule out all possibilities between the cool and tach first.

Abs light could be a number of things. If the car sat for a long time then the sensors probably have a build up of brake dust and nasty stuff on them.

It did sit in the garage for awhile before I started working on it. Once I get it into my garage I will deal with little things that are left. Wanting to change out headlights and find out what will work as well. Gonna put in new carpet and delete back seat and put in the style bar. Get seats redone and after reconditioning the top see if I'm going to have it redone.

lutter94

Reaction score
I'm sure its the stepper motor behind the gauge. Speedo seems to go out more commonly. Only other thing is noting that the redline may be different on the cobra? speedo becomes 160mph I think.

OP
OP
BillG

BillG

Reaction score
Ok folks the million dollar question I've been asking myself in my head all day while at work is this. My Fuel, Water Temp, Volts & Oil Pressure Gauges are working when car is running. If I had a blown fuse or anything would they work or does fuse just affect speedo and or tach. Trying to troubleshoot so when I get home to work on it again I'll know what to check off the list. Also according to advance I was told to put 5w30 in the motor when I changed it to start it. The hood says 10w30 so which is true. Once again thanks for all the input and support.

OP
OP
BillG

BillG

Reaction score
Ok guys once again thanks for all the info. Now I'm asking for a little education I guess. The Tach still not working so I'm going to wait till I get it in my garage to take out cluster and see what's up. The fuse is fine so I'm going to more than likely replace the cluster. So the question is how do I get the mileage to match the mileage on the original cluster and does the steeper motor have anything to do with the Tach.

ttocs

Post Whore
Reaction score
I thought it was not all that hard to swap out the odometers but I never done it myself.

Now you say "THE" fuse, did you only check one?

OP
OP
BillG

BillG

Reaction score
I thought it was not all that hard to swap out the odometers but I never done it myself.

Now you say "THE" fuse, did you only check one?
Well I went through the one indicated by the fuse panel or the chilton book. If there are more please educate me.

ttocs

Post Whore
Reaction score
go back in the car and pull/inspect test ever fuse in the car first. You will be surprised how often after digging out the manual and figuring out what fuse you think it is, identifying it in the box and checking it just means you checked the wrong fuse. It will honestly take you less time to pull and inspect each one to be sure then it took to do the one through the manual. Don't forget the fuses by the battery.

OP
OP
BillG

BillG

Reaction score
Well thanks to an awesome forum member who sold me there cluster I was able to get everything fixed before I left for my never ending month of work. The tach now works and all is right with the cluster, I even swapped the odometer over to the donor cluster before I left so I would have the original miles. Also found why I have an exhaust leak. The previous owner never re attached the thermal tubes to the back of the heads. So now there just sitting back there and I have no check engine lights on the dash. Found the brake light on the panel was due too low brake fluid, ABS is still on but will worry about that when I get back home hopefully at the end of the month. Ordered factory seats from my favorite salvage yard and got a better looking console and header panel to replace the one I have that has a broken headlight holder. so needless to say when I get back I will be busy getting stuff done. Now down to the meat of the sandwich. I'm thinking throttle body upgrade and headlight upgrade. Any suggestions and on throttle body can I do that and still use stock breather till I can get CAI.

OP
OP
BillG

BillG

Reaction score
do you know how to pull the codes for the abs?
I watched a video on you tube about it and just haven't gotten to it due to being away from home, Its on the the list of things to get to after this job is over. just trying to go ahead and get all the parts and pieces in place to finish it once home. Thanks again for your help with the tach issue it was what doc ordered and old one is going to be reconditioned as a back up.

evilcw311

Most Evil Member!
SN95 Supporter
Reaction score
Well thanks to an awesome forum member who sold me there cluster I was able to get everything fixed before I left for my never ending month of work. The tach now works and all is right with the cluster, I even swapped the odometer over to the donor cluster before I left so I would have the original miles. Also found why I have an exhaust leak. The previous owner never re attached the thermal tubes to the back of the heads. So now there just sitting back there and I have no check engine lights on the dash. Found the brake light on the panel was due too low brake fluid, ABS is still on but will worry about that when I get back home hopefully at the end of the month. Ordered factory seats from my favorite salvage yard and got a better looking console and header panel to replace the one I have that has a broken headlight holder. so needless to say when I get back I will be busy getting stuff done. Now down to the meat of the sandwich. I'm thinking throttle body upgrade and headlight upgrade. Any suggestions and on throttle body can I do that and still use stock breather till I can get CAI.

Please feel free to express thanks to whoever it was that hooked you up.

We always enjoy knowing who helped others out and it’s great to give them recognition for a job well done.

Glad it’s all worked out now and you can start working on other issues to help make the beast a better driver.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
wbarter

Members online