Teach me about adjustable shocks/struts

Reaction score
Alright guys, I kind of have an idea...

I recently purhcased some new suspension to upgrade the stock stuff, I went with eibach pro-kits and KYB AGX adjustable struts and shocks. They're not installed as of yet, still on the living room floor. I went with these products more from recommendation rather than experience and also because the Bullitt kit is backordered for like the rest of the century. Anyway, what's the deal with "adjustable" suspension, I assume the point is to "adjust" for different applications, i.e. street driving, track, autocross, etc., etc.

If that is correct, then what settings should I have my suspension set at for normal daily driving? and the occassional visit to the 1/4 mile track? The struts and shocks have 4 settings on them, increasing their dampening from 1 to 4 (I think, might be the other way around, but I just need to understand the concept).

Thanks for your help!

ripper

Reaction score
Well there is a knob on top of the shock which can be turned to make the shock softer or harder. You have to cut holes in your trunk to be able to get at the rears. When you are driving normal the front and rear are set the same. Usually somewere in the middle. When you go to the 1/4 mile you set the front real soft and the back firm. When you launch the front of the car rises transfering the weight to the rear tires and it gives you better bite. It takes some experimenting to get the right settings. But thats the idea of the adjustable shocks. And they do work well.

19mustang95

Legend
Reaction score
with your shocks/struts, there should be instructions on wat you should leave the settings on for street/strip driving...i know that stange has like 10 settings on theirs and are good quality and i will probably go wih those.

DropTopPony

Post Whore
SN95 Supporter
Reaction score
you will want the softest setting for 1/4 mile
medium for daily driving
and stiff for auto X racing

OP
OP
S
Reaction score
thanks for the input. This is exactly the kind of information I'm looking for, I'm headed to the track this coming Wednesday for the first time with the new Stang. The only other time I've been was with my Taurus SHO, not quite as torquey but still a lot of fun.

I'll try out a few different settings around town when I get everything installed this weekend. I think the rear shocks have 8 settings and the front struts have 4. I'll try setting the front soft and rear stiff to see if it gets me any more traction when ripping out the hole next week, can't wait!

My buddy will be driving his 86 Mustang SVO, which has adjustable FACTORY koni, maybe he can offer some last minute advice at the track.

I'll keep you posted.

96sohc

Reaction score
Stevo said:
Well there is a knob on top of the shock which can be turned to make the shock softer or harder. You have to cut holes in your trunk to be able to get at the rears. When you are driving normal the front and rear are set the same. Usually somewere in the middle. When you go to the 1/4 mile you set the front real soft and the back firm. When you launch the front of the car rises transfering the weight to the rear tires and it gives you better bite. It takes some experimenting to get the right settings. But thats the idea of the adjustable shocks. And they do work well.

Unless they've changed their design drastically, I didn't have to cut holes in the car to adjust.
My fronts are 4 ways that I can change with a small flat head screwdriver, and on the rear there is a knob towards the bottom of the shock that I just need to reach around the tire with a mirror to see and adjust as I see fit.

OP
OP
S
Reaction score
96sohc said:
Stevo said:

Unless they've changed their design drastically, I didn't have to cut holes in the car to adjust.
My fronts are 4 ways that I can change with a small flat head screwdriver, and on the rear there is a knob towards the bottom of the shock that I just need to reach around the tire with a mirror to see and adjust as I see fit.

That sounds like the same set up I have... screwdriver up front and knob/dial in the back. I wasn't too excited about cutting holes in my trunk!

ripper

Reaction score
Let me know how you like them sanchez i was gonna get strange adjustables but they def need holes cut. And i like the idea of 4 settings vs 10.

And Bob do we want it soft front and rear? I was just going by what my tuner told me i wasnt sure.

warpspeed1414

Reaction score
I bought those shocks and didn't like them. It didn't matter which way I adjusted them, I couldn't tell a difference in the ride. I thought they were a waste of money.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
marktuck99

Members online