Teal sn95 Mustang GT build

OP
OP
wsickness

wsickness

Reaction score
The chip should be on the end opposite of the harness if there is one. Roughly like a 2 inch by .5in slot.

The only chip I know of that risks losing the tune is the one from moates as it's designed to tune with and then flash a seperate chip but many people leave that one installed and dont use another chip for long term.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk
So unbolt it this and see if the chips up top ?
4882f90349a701e35f08635c76ad4f65.jpg

Sent from my Pixel 4 XL using Tapatalk

BigBore96

Reaction score
Yes.

I couldve swore they were in the opposite end of the harness but that pic there it looks like itd be on the right side.

Been a while since I've looked at the pre mod motor ecus

Also regarding the coolant temps. Start with the easy stuff. Coolant is full, no air bubbles, thermostat isnt junk, proper airflow, etc.

Before I forget. Be careful pulling it out as it likely has a ground wire which is easy to break off the connector bolted just under it.

OP
OP
wsickness

wsickness

Reaction score
Yes.

I couldve swore they were in the opposite end of the harness but that pic there it looks like itd be on the right side.

Been a while since I've looked at the pre mod motor ecus

Ok that may take a bit lol I'll post back what I find. Ty buddy [emoji106]

OP
OP
wsickness

wsickness

Reaction score
Also for clarification this is all the information I have regarding anything installed. 5.0 302 30 over Sealed power forged pistons,

1.7 roller rockers, comp high energy cam, 75 mm throttle body, 36lb injectors. Cobra heads gasket match ported, cobra upper and lower intake also ported. 2003 FR70W complete with J Mod it does have a weak overdrive solenoid

ttocs

Post Whore
Reaction score
I thought it was on the opposite end of the harness myself.

I really think the 36lb is just too big. You have a little more than a cobra motor and they run 24 lb so %50 more injector I just can't think is a good thing. What maf is on there?

OP
OP
wsickness

wsickness

Reaction score
Here's the MAF
d26c8d578cff50f06766c5b937c89448.jpg

OP
OP
wsickness

wsickness

Reaction score
Other pictures for reference.
6af42257648a1bf9d117ee1efcf66844.jpg
f22a5eb0c838fefe830c3bdbc03aabe6.jpg
60495ea9e552ab6441fe9330a23d1490.jpg
a0c6b202a46357fbbb31cca888620285.jpg

OP
OP
wsickness

wsickness

Reaction score
By the looks of it I want to do a stand alone kit instead of the original EEC. Anyone here have info or have done it ? I'd like to take out as much electrical as possible.

OP
OP
wsickness

wsickness

Reaction score
Preferably yes.

ttocs

Post Whore
Reaction score
well then it depends on how much you want to spend and how much time you can and want to invest into it either in the install or after in learning the software and how to tune it. There are systems that plug into the factory wiring but I hear they are not as good with support after the purchase. I went with holley hp and struggled with the install as they are not so "plug and play" but they have great support after the purchase through a couple of different ways. I have to ask why you think you need to go with aftermarket ecu myself because unless you really are into tweeking it and playing around with it its not exactly as easy as everyone from people using it to the manf make it out to be. You will not just plug it in and set up autolearn and drive off the way so many of them make it sound....

OP
OP
wsickness

wsickness

Reaction score
I believe it'll be a better choice for later down the road. And learning something in the process. VMP tuner+tune is like $600 I'm ok with that for now, but god's honest truth I want as much computer and electrical gone as possible. As with the overheating there's multiple variables I'm checking, already considered wiring a relay and switch directly for the radiator fan to bypass the CCRM those have very hefty bosch relays so I doubt it's failed. Just trying to explore my options. I read a forum post saying a stand alone kit would be upwards of $1k so I'm figuring why not just go that route and hopefully be done with it. Although learning how to use the software and tuning actually sounds fun to me [emoji1787]

OP
OP
wsickness

wsickness

Reaction score
And for clarification I never let the temp gauge needle go beyond the "A" I'd pull over and wait until it dropped down a bit. It's really odd those because it generally only moves higher when I'm stopped... Like the fan isn't doing a good enough job. Someone else who owns a sn95 said my temps were well within normal for these cars ????

ttocs

Post Whore
Reaction score
upwards of $1k? Most of them start around that and your certainly not going to be getting rid of more electrical/computer. Some of it stays, some of it is replaced, some is duplicated but your not going to be making things necessarily easier in the future by going with an aftermarket ecu. It sounds nice and easy to get rid of the CCRM but now you need to consider the fuel pump relay is in there as well so do you want to go with a high current relay or a PWM system and then wire it into the new ecu. Same question for the fans up front, which then you get to figure out how to wire up. I was just updating the folder I keep of all the stuff and wiring I added or changed in mine and trying to remember where some of it is as I need to find the tach wire now. On any other 94 mustang that is an easy job that you can search on your phone. On mine I now need to pull out my holley manuals to diagnose the electrical schematic(you better be able to understand these) and start remembering where the wiring is that I ran just a short 3-4 yrs ago, when I can't remember what I had for breakfast by 2pm. I see some of myself in you now wanting to learn something new and not really knowing what your really getting into after a few articles and videos. I realized some time ago I was in over my head and was really kind of annoyed at all those vids selling the gear with plug and play ideas.

OP
OP
wsickness

wsickness

Reaction score
Haha very solid advice [emoji108] I mean I can learn this bs sn95 computer/electrical I suppose it's not as much a bear as aftermarket.

OP
OP
wsickness

wsickness

Reaction score
I forgot to tell everyone in the "spare" parts the guy had in a box in the trunk I found the original CCRM and I haven't jacked up the passenger side yet to see if one is even there yet.

ttocs

Post Whore
Reaction score
unless you are seriously dedicated to investing $1500+ and hours of time researching, and then installing, and then sometimes correcting/tweeking/replacing it after you f'ed it up(it will happen somewhere) I would check out your local shop again. I don't think you understand how bad a car like yours scares a professional shop. Your rolling in saying your don't really know who you got it from or exactly what was done with it but it has injectors that are absolutely too big right on the top. Its having some problems overheating and other things we probably have not covered yet but you want them to slap it on the dyno, run it up to redline and tune it. I will repeat myself the last thing you want to do is start diagnosing what could be bad work on a dyno or you will learn like me the hard way by swapping a motor out and the work on mine was paid to and done by a mustang shop! On the dyno sometimes they go, sometimes they blow and that is when nothing but professionals are involved now throw in some unknown shadetree mechanic and that is why the shop owner "politely" turned you down for tuning it sounded like. Even if you were to swap the ecu out yourself you would need to diagnose and then fix these problems that you already do not know how to fix before you could get it running right. If that shop only does tuning, see who they recommend for repairs but I am willing to be they do work there as well and would be happy to take a look at the car and make some suggestions and get it to at least stay in temp before trying it out at redline.

Now I hope I am not insulting you but it just sounds like you do not exactly know what is wrong with it now and instead want to start running before you crawl.

OP
OP
wsickness

wsickness

Reaction score
Nah you're not insulting bruh. I just don't have any other choice but to attack this as I know. I'm sorting out the overheating, so far have found a bad fan harness.

BigBore96

Reaction score
Glad to see you're narrowing down the fan issues.

Fix that harness and do the fan ground mod (at least for now) to kick the fan on all the time with the key.

That will allow you to see if your cooling system will keep the car cool with the most air possible. If it does not then I'd say you've got airflow/coolant clog problems.

OP
OP
wsickness

wsickness

Reaction score
Wait what cooling fan ground mod bro ?

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members