The 1997 V6 to Terminator swap

OP
OP
C

cheebs127

Reaction score
I picked her up today! Got my sail panels, all the weather seals, scoops, trunk insert and rear bumper on. Tomorrow I'll get the wing wiper cowl and the interior put back together. I am beyond excited to see it looking so good in the garage now.
cfdd2baa13a1869ec997e7df900d8a9d.jpg
66bd25eb8cea92de488731b124d7ef84.jpg
8977332c8acb38d32d720e0dafa8a15a.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

JeremyAlan

SN95 Supporting Member
Reaction score
I'm late to this thread, but holy shit. Nice work dude.

Hello from a Crew Chief btw! (2A572D)

Side bar: is that really where the upper spring cup is on OG SN95's? On my Cobra they are slightly inboard and up.

The color is beautiful and I'm subbed to see how this pans out.

Also, if you have any Terminator specific questions, shoot me a PM. I.E. Don't use Steg for anything blower related. His claims are unfounded and I can point you to documentation of that on SVTP. [emoji28][emoji106]

OP
OP
C

cheebs127

Reaction score
I'm late to this thread, but holy shit. Nice work dude.

Hello from a Crew Chief btw! (2A572D)

Side bar: is that really where the upper spring cup is on OG SN95's? On my Cobra they are slightly inboard and up.

The color is beautiful and I'm subbed to see how this pans out.

Also, if you have any Terminator specific questions, shoot me a PM. I.E. Don't use Steg for anything blower related. His claims are unfounded and I can point you to documentation of that on SVTP. [emoji28][emoji106]

Welcome, cool to see some fellow AF in the house! I'll bet you have some fun on the roads in England in your Cobra haha

Side bar: are you talking about the strut towers? To my knowledge 94-04 all are in the same location. Could be an illusion made by the angles of my pictures though.

If Steg is crap then I'm stuck with it for now unfortunately. The donor car had a steg ported blower (stage 4 I think) and a 2.76 pulley. I may upgrade some day but for now as long as that one is turning I'll keep it on there just for the sake of not spending more money. On the bright side, I didn't pay for the blower porting so I can't be mad if it doesn't perform as well as claimed.

JeremyAlan

SN95 Supporting Member
Reaction score
Driving over here is pretty different. The Cobra was almost invisible when I was stateside, but is a superstar over here.

Your rear upper spring perch. Mine rests much higher than yours. Might be a difference between SN and New Edge.

See?
a54f436007a88dd8714c4e426d6e2f03.jpg

Have the blower already isn't a big deal. I just wouldn't spend any money with him. His methods for claiming horsepower numbers aren't very repeatable and he seems to skew his numbers a good bit. Another great example is that he offers a fuel injector upsizing service and claims you won't need a tune after getting it. It's snake oil at best and drilling holes out in a precision instrument at worst [emoji27]

OP
OP
C

cheebs127

Reaction score
Does anyone on here have any experience with team z k members?

I bought the Team Z autocross k member I have way early on in my build second hand but sill new from an aborted build. Didn't do enough research on it at the time. I was too naive and have since learned from this build that not all aftermarket is created equal and not everything is disclosed by manufacturers.

My problem is that I can't get my steering shaft to connect without interference from the headers. I have JBA shorties and I've run these same headers on a cobra with stock k member and steering shaft without a single problem. With the headers ruled out I tried the MM steering shaft. This initially wouldn't connect either. To get it to connect I had to offset my rack bushings as far to the drivers side as possible. I had to fight it like heck. It still rubs on the header and the steering feels notchy but it was good enough to get it on a trailer so I could keep my paint appointment.

After reading up on it this weekend, for a reason no one seems to know or understand, Team Z offset the rack mounts 3/4 inch towards the passenger side.

My options are limited to gain clearance unless I'm missing something. I can either hammer an indent in the header to make clearance or get a new K.

Other issues I've though of is the fact the tie rods will have to be slightly different length causing asymmetric bumpsteer.

Sorry for the rant but this issue has got me all spun up. I might just buy the MM k and arms like I should have in the beginning and try to sell this one.

OP
OP
C

cheebs127

Reaction score
Your rear upper spring perch. Mine rests much higher than yours. Might be a difference between SN and New Edge.

See?
a54f436007a88dd8714c4e426d6e2f03.jpg

Hmm. I'll have to check that out when I get it back on stands today or tomorrow and I'll post a picture from the same position for comparison

evilcw311

Most Evil Member!
SN95 Supporter
Reaction score
94-04 should all be same underneath. Nothing was changed on mountpoints which is why so many people have used the 03-04 IRS in 94-98.

As far as the team z k's, they make great stuff but as is anytime you mix and match different parts from different manufacturers you will run into stuff. One companies headers may fit great with one companies k but not others. Doesn't matter which k or headers you get you may still run into the same problem.

OP
OP
C

cheebs127

Reaction score
Yeah that is true. It's the nature of the beast I suppose.

Team Z's quality is top notch. I have a few of their parts on my car. They're well built and fitment was good. Everything else about he K member was on point too.

It just seems odd to me to intentionally mount the steer rack off center.. build quality is great just not sure what happened on the drawing boards with this one is all.

OP
OP
C

cheebs127

Reaction score
I'll have to check that out as an option. I'm imagining that it had to been shifted because it was thought of after the main portion and engine mounts were so if it were to be moved to center it would cause a problem with another part of the rack. Definitely something worth looking at though so thanks for the idea

machinedoc

Reaction score
Does anyone on here have any experience with team z k members?

I bought the Team Z autocross k member I have way early on in my build second hand but sill new from an aborted build. Didn't do enough research on it at the time. I was too naive and have since learned from this build that not all aftermarket is created equal and not everything is disclosed by manufacturers.

My problem is that I can't get my steering shaft to connect without interference from the headers. I have JBA shorties and I've run these same headers on a cobra with stock k member and steering shaft without a single problem. With the headers ruled out I tried the MM steering shaft. This initially wouldn't connect either. To get it to connect I had to offset my rack bushings as far to the drivers side as possible. I had to fight it like heck. It still rubs on the header and the steering feels notchy but it was good enough to get it on a trailer so I could keep my paint appointment.

After reading up on it this weekend, for a reason no one seems to know or understand, Team Z offset the rack mounts 3/4 inch towards the passenger side.

My options are limited to gain clearance unless I'm missing something. I can either hammer an indent in the header to make clearance or get a new K.

Other issues I've though of is the fact the tie rods will have to be slightly different length causing asymmetric bumpsteer.

Sorry for the rant but this issue has got me all spun up. I might just buy the MM k and arms like I should have in the beginning and try to sell this one.

Give Dave a call at Team Z, he is always willing to help.
BTW That Colour just Rocks!

97_281gt

Reaction score
Cars looking awesome man just finally caught up on your build again

Sent From Your Moms Phone

OP
OP
C

cheebs127

Reaction score
Looking tits my dude! Youre gonna have to give me some more explanation on the s550 upgrade you did

It's custom. Spindles were modified and custom brackets were made to fit the s550 caliper and gt500 rotor without using a 3/4 wheel spacer like the FTR kit does that works with these brakes. I ended up using a 1/4 to give myself some extra clearance. My friend made them at his work with a mill machine I believe. Also they use the maximum motorsports braided lines. If you have any other questions just let me know

This winter one of my projects is going to be retrofitting the s550 rears to the IRS.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
shagg9

Members online