the momstang rebuild begins TOOK A TRIP AROUND THE BLOCK!

95opal

Reaction score
Take it to the dyno and have them tune it. I think you got in a bit over your head with the standalone.

OP
OP
ttocs

ttocs

Post Whore
Reaction score
Take it to the dyno and have them tune it. I think you got in a bit over your head with the standalone.
I wish it were that easy.
Hold on now, are you really this upset because of the starting issue? Who is doing the tuning? Have you considered having someone else look at it and see if they can help?
Yes, I am that pissed off. I was hoping that the correct spark plugs in it would correct the problems I had been having and was hoping to finally get it on the road. I am just tired of figuring one thing out to have it kick me in the nuts a new way. So getting that point and then having it die and not start up was just 2 steps forward and then 4 or 5 backwards since I have no idea what the problem is now. Now I have no spark, I just have no idea why. I have toyed with the idea of parting it out but never actually made a list of the parts and the price I think I could get. I did remote tuning sessions with Fastmanefi and he seemed to get things going, until they stopped going..

So with the no spark on the factory side I have the stock TFI/coil and all that crap. On the holley side I will have to check some fuses/relays. Any way to check the tfi/coil short of replacing them?

Last edited:

lwarrior1016

Mr. Secondary Timing Chain
Staff
Reaction score
I can’t help too much on the tfi or coil as my experience with them is limited. I do know that they continue to be a problem tough. That’s why I suggested getting a cam synchronizer and ls style coils. They are very easy to fire and very dependable.

Werecow

Reaction score
Oh shit.. ok.. you've still got the stock factory style TFI module? That's probably the source of your ignition no fire issues.. those were known to be buggy at times. I'll bet you $0.10 against a dozen donuts you have a bad TFI module.. check into what you get for a replacement tho, a lot of the ones you pick up at brand x Otto parts are just as bad, cause China parts..

white95

Apex Junky
Admin
Reaction score
I don’t pay enough attention to this thread. This is what I was doing with my pushrod setup to avoid the TFI issues Holley seems to have. Get with @Addermk2 for one of his cam sync sensors that will delete the distributor. Get some LS coils, D585 should suffice like these:

9A987472-2C75-43A1-93B7-E35CE03B66A3.jpeg

They sell LS to SBF coil pack mounts or just mount them where you see fit. Get yourself a Hall effect crank trigger set up and the related Holley harnesses and never look back. It’s all outlined on the Holley forum.

Probably do the entire shooting match for $500-$600

OP
OP
ttocs

ttocs

Post Whore
Reaction score
I never had no fire issues until yesterday. I have had a holley dual sync dist and a msd digital 6al to upgrade to which is supposed to be a good upgrade but I am not about to start throwing more parts at it until we could diagnose what is bad. Oh yea I forgot to put those on my list...

white95

Apex Junky
Admin
Reaction score
I never had no fire issues until yesterday. I have had a holley dual sync dist and a msd digital 6al to upgrade to which is supposed to be a good upgrade but I am not about to start throwing more parts at it until we could diagnose what is bad. Oh yea I forgot to put those on my list...

Well, at least the weather is getting better.

lwarrior1016

Mr. Secondary Timing Chain
Staff
Reaction score
If you have new parts to install That would replace something that is expected to be bad, why not try it? All it cost at that point is a little bit of time.

OP
OP
ttocs

ttocs

Post Whore
Reaction score
until I can somehow confirm that those parts are bad I am not going to throw new/used parts into the mix, requiring a rewire of the ignition system and then hope that I didn't fuck something up in that install or get a bad piece of equipment as well leading to more troubleshooting, if that wasn't even the problem to begin with. Maybe I wasn't clear that they parts are new to me but used, It doesn't make sense to me....

evilcw311

Most Evil Member!
SN95 Supporter
Reaction score
Lots of frustration I’m sensing.

I’d send you my tfi but if I remember correctly you switched to fox style didn’t you??

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OP
OP
ttocs

ttocs

Post Whore
Reaction score
Lots of frustration I’m sensing.

I’d send you my tfi but if I remember correctly you switched to fox style didn’t you??

no still running the sn95 tfi with a foxbody dist so I could get the wiring between the two for the hp. I remembered I have an extra coil I can swap tomorrow for a simple test.

OP
OP
ttocs

ttocs

Post Whore
Reaction score
4 in a row. It has started up now SO NICELY 4 days in a row. Its firing up in less than a second for the first time since I got it running. I only hope it has not somehow hacked the wifi to see this and make me regret it. Now I just need to figure out why the brakes are sticking enough that I can't push the car, since it will start up. Hopefully its not a big deal but there isn't too much to check in that system.

Last edited:
OP
OP
ttocs

ttocs

Post Whore
Reaction score
5 in a row! And I got some time on the brakes after getting some help from cust service from baer. Can't say enough good things about them as they were fast to respond and seemed happy to help. They had me check a few things and then after finding out it has only been around my short block 4-5 times that it probably needs to be driven and have the rotors seasoned and the pads bedded in before I can get excited. I made another adjustment to the front end and I think its close enough. Tomorrow I will have to take a few laps around the block. Pray for me......

evilcw311

Most Evil Member!
SN95 Supporter
Reaction score
5 in a row! And I got some time on the brakes after getting some help from cust service from baer. Can't say enough good things about them as they were fast to respond and seemed happy to help. They had me check a few things and then after finding out it has only been around my short block 4-5 times that it probably needs to be driven and have the rotors seasoned and the pads bedded in before I can get excited. I made another adjustment to the front end and I think its close enough. Tomorrow I will have to take a few laps around the block. Pray for me......

cc67319ba4db64f629efe64385004434.jpg

joe65

Reaction score
Lol. Remember seeing that the 1st time and laughing.

OP
OP
ttocs

ttocs

Post Whore
Reaction score
had some things get in the way between feeling bad and too busy. I took the time to make a checklist of last minute shit to check. Lugnuts, tire pressure, a small adjustment to the throttle stop and make a couple final adjustments to the tune, and then I went to get a fire ext just in case as well as a splash of gas so its not sucking off the bottom of the tank. I am still just tickled that it fires up so quickly still. Backing out of the garage I could feel the brakes sticking bad enough I had to give it a little more gas than I wanted to and was worried that "it just needs to go for a drive" wasn't the best advice but it was all I had. I took it for a trip around the block and pulled back into the driveway to see if they were hot but was happy to see they were not and the car was rolling better. I took another lap and this time got into the brakes a little bit harder and they will certainly stop the car. One of the times I heard something "pop" but I think it might have just been the fire ext that rolled up to the firewall. I am going to throw it back up on jackstands and go under it to check all the nuts/bolts one more time and after that it will be time to get the alignment done. after that I guess I have to drive it.....

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Srchop16

Members online