the momstang rebuild begins TOOK A TRIP AROUND THE BLOCK!

Gregomatic

Reaction score
I'm just glad you found it before it started peening the threads over.
Yeah, a slap can do that. Rapping with a rubber mallet can make the loose stuff holler, but honestly, I think my car will always be quite musical. Funny thing is, I know every squeak, whir, tink, buzz and clank this thing makes... to the point if one of the noises changes, I know it.
As a musician, I notice of an instrument drops out or breaks into a solo.
If the clank goes CLUNK, it's inspection time. LOL

OP
OP
ttocs

ttocs

Post Whore
Reaction score
I am dying to get out and get some fall pics/video but its been raining enough to keep me in. Instead I made a short video to show my loud button.

OP
OP
ttocs

ttocs

Post Whore
Reaction score
I was able to get it out of the house today. I don't normally drive with the cut outs open but sure enough 2 mins after I do my radar detector goes off and saves me a ticker for driving while loud

Gregomatic

Reaction score
Ahh, I see you reach over and select with the left hand. I like being ambidextrous, but I'm dyslexic too.
Just always remember.. Bottom right, NOT top left...
B-)

OP
OP
ttocs

ttocs

Post Whore
Reaction score
I went for a short drive and I don't normally open the cut outs but today I decided to. 3 mins after they are open my radar detector starts to go off.

I realized while I was driving it that the c-pillar in the back was not rattling anymore and there really were not any noises from the interior now(BIG WIN!). Today I finally was able to get the odometer to start working and also changed the fuel pressure gauge for a boost gauge on the display. I also did some trimming on the interior window seal to allow the windows to go up at full speed. I replaced the seals last year and there is a spot on the front that needs to be trimmed or it puts pressure on the glass as it goes up. So now my windows go up fast, there are no rattles and I have an odometer... happy days.

OP
OP
ttocs

ttocs

Post Whore
Reaction score
Right, of course.
I just hope you're still holding the camera if you accidentally hit the EJECT button..
Heh heh heh..

Cool vids bro, keep 'em coming!
I Think I have arranged to borrow my neighbors least fav kid to demonstrate the ejection seat shortly. :)

Gregomatic

Reaction score
Heck, I'll make you a deal.
Youtube the vid of the ejection for us and I'll repack the parachute free of charge!
*bonus points if the kiddo sticks the landing.. :)

OP
OP
ttocs

ttocs

Post Whore
Reaction score
I don't use the evil button much because that is the demon eyes up front and I am pretty sure that red lights are only allowed on the front of emergency vehicles. But they should be fun at night shows.

I got it out for another drive today just to run some errands. I had a kid in a turbo fiesta play with me a little but we were in traffic and I am still not completely comfortable with knowing what gear I need to be in at what speed, and then when I do the gear locations are still off just enough to confuse me. I have been driving that car since it was new in 94 and prior to know I could tell what gear it was in just by my hand location and a quick glance at the speedo and I knew what gear I needed to be in. But it will get down when I get it in the right gear.

I found a nice spot with fresh leaves on the ground that I thought would make a good pic. I managed to get 3 pics before I was starting to smell burning leaves from the exhaust so needless to say it didn't stay there aired out for long.

C2pTHEp.jpg

Another thing I am not use to is people noticing me at all now, let alone just staring. All these years working on it I was using the prius to get around and NO ONE notices you in that car and if they do its because they want to roll coal on you... Today I had a guy at the gas station say it sounded "good and rowdy" as I pulled up, I saw another guy at a light taking a pic of the ass, and at one light I had the windows up and could not help feeling like I was being watched. I looked to my left to see an entire family of 4 looking hard enough to leave fingerprints. It took me a second to realize with the windows tinted like they are that they could not see me now looking at them, lookin at me. It was a very strange staring contest and all I can say is do not get into a staring contest with a 6 yr old...

96blak54

Staff
Reaction score
Thats a great picture! One to be blown up into a living room portrait! Hang it on the wall

OP
OP
ttocs

ttocs

Post Whore
Reaction score
I tore the top of the motor apart to hope that redoing the gasket seal on the rear of the lower intake would fix my oil leak I have been fighting. I decided while putting it all back together that if it didn't fix it this time I don't care... I am still not that confident in my mechanical ability and get nervous when I have to take the dist out but I am happy to say I got it fired back up and running today. While I had everything out I also decided to try a 180 degree thermostat and see what happens just because even on cool days with out hard driving it was creepin up/over 200-205 area and it just seemed a little to hot on cool days with below average driving.

OP
OP
ttocs

ttocs

Post Whore
Reaction score
I took it out for a short drive yesterday really just to get it up to temp and then to slide some fresh cardboard under it to see if it was still leaking. I was fairly sure that repair fixed it so you can imagine my surprise when I opened the door to the garage to find it full of smoke. I opened the outer door and popped the hood to see some flames on the bottom pass side of the motor. As much as I didn't want to I grabbed my fire ext and started spraying and praying(praying while cursing mind you). I realized that the cardboard I had slid under the car was the main part of the fire and a shot from the ext shot it out into the open part of the garage and the worst of that part was over.
ADBeiI4.jpg
well I say that but then the clean up began and that sucked. A quick look and it seems like some wires from the transmission must have come loose and made contact with the cat. Once they were on fire it melted the airlines for the front that were next to it and when the front end dropped down then it looks like the cardboard went up. I am a little confused as to why I found these pine needles on top of the cardboard. We do not have any pine trees in my yard that I would have picked up, not sure if they could have helped things.
ANyf1my.jpg
And does anyone know what this is?
5Kb15nT.jpg
UPKVJ8I.jpg

The worst of it looks like for sure the afr sensor harness for the holley ecu is done as well as the wiring for the trans but I can't realll tell yet if it made its way up the back of motor to get the rest of the ecu wiring. It looks like it got hot at the least and if it did I might have to pull the motor to get at it because of the way I ran it.

I really didn't want to pull the motor till I could throw a 347 or 408 in it.... Its not in the budget at the moment.

lwarrior1016

Mr. Secondary Timing Chain
Staff
Reaction score
Dude, that totally sucks. I’m sorry to see this. Glad it didn’t all burn down though.

Also, the picture you questioned is the vent line for the transmission, typically it bolts to a bell housing bolt up high to vent case pressure.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SN95.0

Members online