the momstang rebuild begins TOOK A TRIP AROUND THE BLOCK!

OP
OP
ttocs

ttocs

Post Whore
Reaction score
This is a bit of a story but a good one. So I put that pipe on and I both loved it, and I hated it. Part of the goal of doing it was to try and get some space between the hose/pipe and the oversized alternator and the fan on the front. I had modified the stock pipe a little but never really liked how close it was. The killer glass piece I hoped would allow me to customize it to get as much space as possible but I realized pretty fast that I messed up on the measurements right after I installed it. The angle of the bend was not sharp enough and I made it a little too long with the idea that more was better and it left even less space than the original I modified and now the alt fan was dancing way too close to the pyrex tube. As much as I hated to admit it I knew the only way to fix it was with a slightly different pipe and figured that was going to cost me. I sheepishly told them that I f'd up and told them how and then asked if there could be a discount on a 2nd because of it. To my amazement they said that they understood, they are car dudes as well and wanted me to be happy so to figure out what I needed and let them know. This time I took a paper towel roll and cut it to visualize it and got the measurements from it and sent it in. I was amazed that they said they would do an exchange. I figured that there would be a charge for the additional shipping at the very least but was ready to pay more. I got busy the past couple weeks with the cnc and I never got a chance to take the old pipe off and figured they would just wait to get mine and send the new one out. Thursday a box arrived with the new pipe and I had only taken the old one off the day before. I quickly got the old one out on friday and finally had time to day to install the new one. This one is PERFECT as I have over an inch between the alt/pipe and it looks killer imo.
HTmgdMX.jpg

OP
OP
ttocs

ttocs

Post Whore
Reaction score
it was still running hot after only a short drive so I decided to see if that weak 1300 cfm rated mishimoto fan was the probem and replace it. I had to drill 4 new holes to mount it and then filled the old ones with rtv and slid it back in place.
4FXg15r.jpg
and after my usual drive it would not get above 200 if you look in the top right. Now I need to figure out how to make the low oil warning light transparent when its not on as well as get that damn odometer working huh?
Ks4nBqU.jpg

In other good news I got under the car and adjusted the clutch and its going in/out smoother than with a well oiled hooker! I took it for another drive after dinner and finally got on it enough to hear the bypass valve kick and needless to say that made me grin. Then I pull in the garage and the kids next door all come running over to ask a bunch of questions. I took one of them for a ride last week and I can see now that I will be doing a few more and I am MORE Than happy to do so because one of the kids said that it was his dream car. Now the bad news ITS SUPPOSED TO PISS AND POUR THE NEXT 2 DAYS... I was hoping to go to nmra but if I can't I can find things in the garage to do now. I hated not having any bass so it will be time to go back to the trunk.

OP
OP
ttocs

ttocs

Post Whore
Reaction score
I took a neighbor for a ride now that its staying cool and on the way back it started to sound different. I can't really explain it other than the exhaust was a little louder from the drivers side and it was a little sluggish. I thought maybe the new header gasket needed to be tightened up a little bit now after its been on for a while and started it up at night to see if I could see an exhaust leak by the headers. I didn't see any leak but I did see #2's plug wire was arching to the header so I ordered and installed some of these fiberglass insulators.
jw7JHzK.jpg
After they were installed I fired up the car because I was going to move it over a little bit so I could get back underneath it to check the cats. I realized that while I knew they were new that doesn't mean they are good but when I started it up it sounded normal. I took it for a drive and I think that it was just that cylinder arching out.

I was also a little worried about the noise I was hearing from the supercharger. I changed the oil in it(internal system) and after that I noticed the noise. So far from the people I have asked they say its normal but I am hoping to get an email back from vortech service to confirm.

I took it for a short drive tonight and after hopefully fixing the exhaust noise with the insulators, and hearing the blower noise is normal I decided to get on it a little bit. I only got on it for a second before the tires broke loose and the tell-tale tack line shows I hit 5k. I guess I am going to need to relearn 1rst gear as I really didn't get on it much at all...

OP
OP
ttocs

ttocs

Post Whore
Reaction score
Today I had the alignment scheduled and I got it ready for it by getting the tires all up to pressure and got the ride height I wanted it at. I have it set for 2 fingers at the lowest height, 3 fingers for normal driving and then the last setting is the "OH SHIT" setting.

PmkCfSb.jpg
RxnQz2G.jpg
Now its finally driving straight and of course then I hear some noise starting I think from the rear drivers brake that I will be investigating next. On the way home a challenger pulled up next to me and gave a rev. I responded back by hitting the loud button and giving two back at him. We were in 4 pm traffic so there wasn't any room to have any real fun and he still had the dealer test plates on his(lol) and I was on a new trans so neither one of us were on it all the way but we made a pull or two in 4rth and it was fun. The weather is supposed to be clear tomorrow hopefully I can go for a nice long drive.

I am curious what you think the tire pressure should be? IT says max is 45 psi...

d.garza18

Reaction score
Today I had the alignment scheduled and I got it ready for it by getting the tires all up to pressure and got the ride height I wanted it at. I have it set for 2 fingers at the lowest height, 3 fingers for normal driving and then the last setting is the "OH SHIT" setting.

View attachment 13023
View attachment 13024
Now its finally driving straight and of course then I hear some noise starting I think from the rear drivers brake that I will be investigating next. On the way home a challenger pulled up next to me and gave a rev. I responded back by hitting the loud button and giving two back at him. We were in 4 pm traffic so there wasn't any room to have any real fun and he still had the dealer test plates on his(lol) and I was on a new trans so neither one of us were on it all the way but we made a pull or two in 4rth and it was fun. The weather is supposed to be clear tomorrow hopefully I can go for a nice long drive.

I am curious what you think the tire pressure should be? IT says max is 45 psi...
I like my pressure to be around 32-35 psi

OP
OP
ttocs

ttocs

Post Whore
Reaction score
not sure if the tire size helps to decide, I have never been sure what the deciding factors are other than what they tell ya. I have 295/35 on the rear and 275/35 up front. I put them at 30 psi and figured I would watch the wear now that I hope to drive it and see what that says.

lwarrior1016

Mr. Secondary Timing Chain
Staff
Reaction score
Tire pressure requirements vary depending on size, stiffness, and driving styles. The best thing to do is chalk test the tires and see what they want. Scrub a nice fat chalk line across the tire and then drive forward on pavement and see the contact pattern. Adjust pressure until you have full, even contact all the way across the tread. I’m pretty sure there are you tube videos that show it better than I can explain.

white95

Apex Junky
Admin
Reaction score
Tire pressure requirements vary depending on size, stiffness, and driving styles. The best thing to do is chalk test the tires and see what they want. Scrub a nice fat chalk line across the tire and then drive forward on pavement and see the contact pattern. Adjust pressure until you have full, even contact all the way across the tread. I’m pretty sure there are you tube videos that show it better than I can explain.

The rear tires are the easiest! Leave some black marks on the pavement and inspect..

Darker on the edges? Under pressure, add 1 psi and re-test

Darker in the middle? Over pressure, subtract 1 psi and re-test.

OP
OP
ttocs

ttocs

Post Whore
Reaction score
After the alignment I have been both looking forward to putting some miles on it as well as a little scared honestly. After all this time and $$$ into it I know something is going to go wrong and when it does its probably my fault... The weather finally cleared up and I took it for a spin to my favorite parking garage downtown to get some pics. After going up all 5 flights to find the top can you imagine the disappointment to see that the top floor is chained off. So I figured oh well I will just make the most of it and do some dark/spooky garage pics but they also switched to led motion lights so I could not find a place that was not lit up like the sun from 3 spots as the leds were just horrible for the camera. Even still used what I had.

skF0IhP.jpg

and then on the way back I took the long way home to enjoy it as it was running so nicely. It is over revving when I start it at 190 deg so I need to adjust that on the tune but otherwise I was admiring how it was right on the target AFR on the way home. I have about a 150 miles on the T56 now and today I finally gave it a little gas in 2/3 just to give it a little test and it reacted nice and fast but seemed like there was more there for sure. How far would you use as the break in on a new trans?
msv3KKa.jpg

white95

Apex Junky
Admin
Reaction score
I broke mine in @ WOT

:cool:

No. Really. There was nothing gentle about it. Change the fluid in the first 500 miles and inspect for big metal chunks just like engine break it. It has about 3000 miles on it total and I’ve repeatedly spun it beyond 7500 RPMs.

OP
OP
ttocs

ttocs

Post Whore
Reaction score
SAWEET! I have been hoping to hear this for a while now. I know of a creek that has the bridge out right now and I have been practicing my "YEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE HAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAW!"!

OP
OP
ttocs

ttocs

Post Whore
Reaction score
I was out enjoying a drive the other day when I learned that NOTHING will make you pucker like the thought "I think I saw the hood move up/down...". I discovered that the nut that is on the bottom of the aerocatch pin had come loose and it allowed the pin to move up/down about 1/2". I realized at that point that I had 200 miles on it now and it might be a good time to go back under it to check loose nuts/bolts. I had some noise from the front end that I am pretty sure was the steering rack was a little loose. I had some noise from the back end that I think I found but will have to wait to see for sure. I started dicking with the exhaust because the tips have been just a tad off since I installed the cats last year. I am going to have to do a little welding tomorrow to get it perfectly perfect but its been bugging me for a while. I know its early but since it was up I checked and changed the trans fluid and oil just so I knew they were all done. Hopefully I can finish the exhaust tomorrow.
8d24IzB.jpg
I can't help but grab the purple polish to hit the baer's anytime I have the wheels off. Don't judge me if you saved up for these as long as I did, then polished and painted them yourself you would fondle, I mean clean/polish them any change you got.

Gregomatic

Reaction score
Quote: "I was out enjoying a drive the other day when I learned that NOTHING will make you pucker like the thought "I think I saw the hood move up/down..."

ttocs, about a week after I hit a deer I was cruising 75 mph down I-35 in Kansas in moderate traffic around me when my hood suddenly popped open two inches! It was like a lightening bolt shot straight through my spine! Talk about pucker factor, ...and saying a couple hail mary's to the designer of the safety latch!!
That next weekend she sported the new hood pins she wears today.
I totally understood what you felt.

OP
OP
ttocs

ttocs

Post Whore
Reaction score
I have to say that I enjoy polishing them up at least when the wheel is off. The fronts are too big to get all of the caliper between the spokes and the rear wheels being so deep are not much easier.

see now my hood movement was not so evident right away. It was just a slight up/down movement but enough I am sure I was physically making a "WHAT THE EVER LIVING FFFFFFFFF" look for probably 20-30 secs as I watched it to confirm it was moving.

OP
OP
ttocs

ttocs

Post Whore
Reaction score
ttocs, how in the world does a steering rack come loose?
Does your engine have a pretty good lope?

*stares at the threadloc*
it does have a stage 1 cam and a bit of a lope but it probably was must me not torqueing it down all the way if I have to face the facts It was not loose to the point that I could even see it move but a light slap led to the tell tale rattle. The nuts only needed a 1/4-1/2 turn and it should be good now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
TreeScholar

Members online