The PI Headswap and You -

Black 96

Reaction score
I'm currently working on my PI swap in my 96 GT and this is where I'm at so far. Need to remove the Driver side exhaust header to H-pipe nuts (they're on there good) and then the head bolts and she'll be ready for the new heads!! Those head bolts are soooo hard to get off too!!! Those damn things and torqued tight!
IMG_20140103_162604_zpsyw6mhgxe.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

Black 96

Reaction score
This is an awesome thread! Great information. Just to show the benefit of the PI head swap, here are the numbers I made with it. Used to have a friend that worked in a small dyno shop and sometimes would let me come by after hours and run it for free. This was a dynojet at 700 ft elevation. Also, I ditched the PI cams for Comp 262's. My runs were:

Stock = 184 rwhp
After my cat-back = 189 rwhp
After catted x-pipe = 197 rwhp
After PI head swap, comp cams, and tune = 265 rwhp

That's a 68 rwhp gain from the swap and tune. I'd estimate the comp cams probably gave me about 15-20 rwhp more than PI cams. So approximately 48-53 rwhp came from the PI head swap and tune. Not too shabby.

With your comp 262's did you need to swap out the stock valve springs or anything for clearance issues??

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk

SCL PI GT

Reaction score
With your comp 262's did you need to swap out the stock valve springs or anything for clearance issues??

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk

Sorry for such a late response.

You don't have to swap out the valve springs with 262's, but I highly recommend it if you're changing cams anyway. I bought my cams from an ebay store and the seller threw in the springs for $140. Not a bad price at all. Also....GET ADJUSTABLE CAM GEARS. I seriously regret not getting them. My tuner told me he could have gotten 15-20 rwhp more out of my car with the adjustable gears.

D3VST8R96GT

Reaction score
Did he get that extra 15hp???? I have heard horror stories about adjustable cam gears ...... never seen evidence of good or bad

The D3V

SCL PI GT

Reaction score
Did he get that extra 15hp???? I have heard horror stories about adjustable cam gears ...... never seen evidence of good or bad

The D3V
I don't have them. I've just heard that it's worth it if you're changing cams and people say I should have gotten them.

DropTopPony

Post Whore
SN95 Supporter
Reaction score

The D3V

This is what made me decide against them years ago. I went with the adj crank gear. Once its degreed it can be pinned or welded so no movement.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
UnknownArmy