The PI Headswap and You -

TRUES97GT

Reaction score
Nope. I went with the stock cam. The pro-street cam for the kit would have run another $400...I already busted my budget by getting the Stage II and Typhoon ported. I think would have only seen other 10, maybe 15 hp from the cam?

Do you know of a better cam that would give me more bang for my buck with my set-up?

OP
OP
Dalamar

Dalamar

Post Whore
SN95 Supporter
Reaction score
TRUES97GT said:
Nope. I went with the stock cam. The pro-street cam for the kit would have run another $400...I already busted my budget by getting the Stage II and Typhoon ported. I think would have only seen other 10, maybe 15 hp from the cam?

Do you know of a better cam that would give me more bang for my buck with my set-up?

Crower cams, or a custom cam would be better, about the same price.
http://www.livernoismotorsports.com/

Jrgunn5150

Post Whore
Reaction score
I just want to add that Parkway and Randy are both pricing Genuine over the counter stock Ford part's, which have the most up to date gasket's, complete gasket's and bolt's. I know the headswap kit is a generation or two behind, plus it's minus a few gasket's that it really wouldn't hurt to change.

reivaxtorres

Reaction score
Jrgunn5150 said:
I just want to add that Parkway and Randy are both pricing Genuine over the counter stock Ford part's, which have the most up to date gasket's, complete gasket's and bolt's. I know the headswap kit is a generation or two behind, plus it's minus a few gasket's that it really wouldn't hurt to change.

yeah, i was going to get the parts in the frpp kit from Randy, but they would have totaled out to a little over $300, and all that covered was the head gaskets, exhaust gaskets, and headbolts. the kit also includes the dipstick which i didnt get a quote from randy. the kit i got for $125, and its said to be only 1 generation behind the newest OE gaskets, so i figured it would be ok since i havent heard of anyone saying anything bad about them.

driftingmustang

Reaction score
3000 dollars, wtf it used to be that expensive. If i go to Modular Power House (pretty much down the street from me) they qouted me 1200 for PI intake heads and PI cams. i should have asked aftermarket cams. i guess they would have to tune it which be anothe 350. thats how much it normaly cost to get a NA car tuned there.

myillwillinc

Reaction score
if your gonna go thru the trouble of a head swap you might as well do headers then. easiest way to do it. that ARP headstuds if your gonna use nos or a blower.

Reaction score
I got 19 rwhp with the pi intake and pi cams along with a cai....the gains in just the intake and cams are minimal...i didnt want to swap the heads because I plan on supercharging

If i was going to do it again , i might go with customs cams

boss281

Reaction score
Have the procedures and parts list been kept up to date? I'm getting money to do heads (FORD PI heads with PI cams), manifold (PI intake) and longtubes...

John

OP
OP
Dalamar

Dalamar

Post Whore
SN95 Supporter
Reaction score
the parts should be the same, gaskets, coolent tube, bolts ect.
Are you getting a head changing kit with your PI stuff?

boss281

Reaction score
Dalamar said:
the parts should be the same, gaskets, coolent tube, bolts ect.
Are you getting a head changing kit with your PI stuff?
I was going to buy these PI head/cam packages and this head changing kit: http://www.lethalperformance.com/96-98-mustang-gt-engine-heads-c-464_628_709 , plus, get this intake http://www.lethalperformance.com/96-98-mustang-gt-induction-intake-manifolds-plenums-c-464_495_513/ford-racing-96-04-sohc-mustang-performance-improvement-intake-p-5426 . My assumption has been that other than the misc items (head bolts timing cover materials, other seals, gaskets, plugs, etc) this was it.

John

Jrgunn5150

Post Whore
Reaction score
That's just the regular FRPP head change kit. It comes with head gaskets, bolts, a dipstick (that you'll likely break), and some rubber hoses.

boss281

Reaction score
J.R. said:
That's just the regular FRPP head change kit. It comes with head gaskets, bolts, a dipstick (that you'll likely break), and some rubber hoses.
JR, is there a better kit?

Jrgunn5150

Post Whore
Reaction score
Personally, and unless you are going to put the heads on and never touch them again, I would buy ARP bolts (reusable), a Lokar dipstick (won't break) and the latest MLS gaskets directly from Ford (not FRPP).

There are some other bit's and pieces you need to make it complete as well, Droptoppony or Reviaxtorres could answer better than me, i haven't had a mod motor in quite awhile now.

OP
OP
Dalamar

Dalamar

Post Whore
SN95 Supporter
Reaction score
You may want to check and see if it has front cover gaskets. it'd be a good time to replace them while it's appart.

Do you have hedders?
the exhaust manifold gaskets also go out after some time, I had to replace mine.

boss281

Reaction score
No headers but I was planning on searching posts about shorties vs longtubes (shorties didn't do squat on my S197, but longtubes yield 22hp) and rec's for a brand. I like modest idle and cruise, and screaming WOT.

Thanks for all the help. I'm compiling the list and parts and will start the swap when the weather gets a little more agreeable. Hopefully I can do it over a 3 day weekend.

John

OP
OP
Dalamar

Dalamar

Post Whore
SN95 Supporter
Reaction score
I"m not a big fan of long tubes because of the issues the cause for little gain. maybe 12 HP.
and they're just in the way.

Mid lengths might fit your description.
Bassani's sound really nice, have a collector and don't have tranny access and ground clearnace issues.

Tbuck07

Reaction score
Im getting ready to do the swap..I have PI heads (need to deck them..) pi intake, hitech stage 2 cams..
I know I need to drill/tap the 2nd coolant sensor on the pi intake.. I also still need a timing chain kit, (as is a good idea to replace this when doing this swap..)
I have the alt bracket, coolant hose, intake gaskets, and am getting head gaskets soon..

I probably still have another 100 dollars or so in misc b/s parts..dont I..*sigh*

OP
OP
Dalamar

Dalamar

Post Whore
SN95 Supporter
Reaction score
some odds and ends. you may want to also do the front cover gaskets, and maybe the hedder gasktes while it's out.

good luck with the swap! you'll like it once it's back together and running.

Tbuck07

Reaction score
Yeah, in the middle of my swap now and am having a HELL of a time..

We got the cams in the heads, and are trying to turn the motor by hand and it feels like theres PTV issues, which hitech states there is no PTV issues, but I called and asked..if using a NPI block with pi heads there will be PTV issues..

So we notched out some of the piston head and a little off the valves..but then we had that interferance problem. It may be the timing..we'll have to see.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
TreeScholar

Members online