The sordid tale of a $1000 96 gt.

Silver95bird

Reaction score
I'm starting a thread here to give some people the idea of what happens when you can't afford a ready built car. This is the tale of a million things done wrong. Let's start at the beginning.

A few years ago, a co worker offers me his gt for $1000. Rough shape body wise, but I work in a body shop doing paint, so no big deal. I fix the broken odometer gears, and the contacts on the dashboard that caused the gas guage to read untrustworthy. How untrustworthy? Enough that pulling out of my in-laws house and up the steep hill, it stalls out a dozen times on me. But it's got an eighth of a tank! Go a mile to a gas station - I put 15.04 gallons in a 15.4 gallon tank. Great, lol.

A few months later. It's -8 outside. I go out to go to work one Saturday morning, and the clutch cable snaps. Awesome. Get it in the garage, find out the $20 AutoZone throw out bearing blew into a hundred pieces, jammed sideways, and then the cable snapped.

Fine, throw a whole clutch setup at it, right out of the frpp catalog via summit. Fork, stud, bearing, disc, plate, TOB, everything. Let's take it apart. Hmm, missing bell housing bolts. That's a good sign. Don't worry, it gets better. Pull off the pressure plate, only to find that there are only 5 bolts in it. One side looks new, the other side was burned to shat. Where's the 6th bolt? You guessed it, broken off in the flywheel. Luckily the machine shop I use was able to cut and save the flywheel. ,

Get it put back together. Wow what a difference. Now on to the suspension. Rides like poop. Inspection reveals some "expert" lowered it by cutting a coil off all four corners, and threw all the insulators away. 4 stock springs, insulators, and orange konis all around, it's much better now. Having more than 1/2" of suspension travel is a necessity in the Poconos where I live.

Not jarring my fillings loose lets me start enjoying the ride a lot more. Fixed the trunk latch. Being a 248A car, it's got no power options, including fogs, windows, locks, seats, or trunk latch. Someone tried to rig one at some point, but it either failed in the attempt or failed thereafter. To open the trunk, I had to use a pull wire someone tied in a knot, and ran down through one of the bolt holes for the license plate lights. Ghetto fabulous. Junkyard run got me a whole latch and lock assembly, only downside was I now have 2 keys on my ring now. No biggie.

Next up, I notice the shifter moving under spirited driving. Crap. Passenger side engine mount is gone. The rubber isn't torn, it's absent totally. Get it fixed, and notice the driver's side is shot. Ugh. Should have known better.

Next up, the intake leak. I'm getting a leak from under the manifold, weeping into the #5 spark plug well. Pulled the manifold last night, and found seven stock fat 19lb injectors, and one 21lb Lucas injector. Wtf?

Got the manifold off, and other than extremely dirty surfaces, I don't see a problem. Are the felpro gaskets known to leak? The odd thing is the other side had a broken bolt at the crossover, and it didn't leak.

Time for upgrades! I'm not putting back a nonpi manifold on there. Got to do the other engine mount, so I'll probably have things half apart anyway. I'm hoping to add pi cams as well.

As an aside, here are the other things the car came with.

Bbk hot air intake tube
Gutted factory h pipe
3.73s
Broken lower driver's seat.
Cut up/bolts missing fold down seat area.
Bad body work on roof/driver's quarter, rocker under the cover, pass. Fender, hood, and a terrible repaint using osha orange paint.

I'm going to have to get some web hosting up since I apparently can't post attachments here. Photobucket really screwed people, so I'm a bit wary of finding a host. I'll have to look into my isp.

Thoughts? Accusations? Lol.

OP
OP
S

Silver95bird

Reaction score
I don't have a story about the brakes, but the steering shaft tried to kill me.

Took the car one day through the ATM. Made the hard right turn out of the lane, and wheeeee! The steering wheel spun totally unconnected. Towed it home. Here I found someone lost the pinch bolt for the shaft at the rack. They just took any old bolt and rammed it through, and put a nut on the end of it. It either backed out or wasn't tight enough. Could've killed me if it happened on the interstate. I'm considering naming her Christine.

evilcw311

Most Evil Member!
SN95 Supporter
Reaction score
Wow........that’s bad!!! Lol

Download Tapatalk On your phone. Then you can log into the forum and load pics straight from your phone.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Burninriverdiver

Reaction score
I thought I had it bad with mine, it seems like the majority of the parts on my car came from he parts store. It doesn't sound like you're giving up though so for that I commend you. Keep chipping away at it and give us more updates like this! I laughed at the details but in all seriousness I hope it doesn't put you in harms way again.

Reaction score
I thought I had it bad with mine, it seems like the majority of the parts on my car came from he parts store. It doesn't sound like you're giving up though so for that I commend you. Keep chipping away at it and give us more updates like this! I laughed at the details but in all seriousness I hope it doesn't put you in harms way again.

The car probably fell apart on him when he hit a pot hole like in old movies and cartoons lol

OP
OP
S

Silver95bird

Reaction score
Just a thought - I've been chasing a bank 1 rich code ever since I bought the car. I'm really hoping replacing that 21lb injector with a 19lb one will clear up my code. I did everything. New o2 sensor. Unwrapped, electrical taped each wire, then taped the loom together for the first 6-7 feet of wire, no luck. I was running out of ideas.

How rich is that cylinder? 10% more is what, like 13:1 instead of 14.65? Things people do...

OLD H2S

SN95 Supporter
Reaction score
Good place to start, O2's and the pcm/ecu can only adjust +- 5%, your tune must be close enough in order for it to be right.

OP
OP
S

Silver95bird

Reaction score
Haven't had time to work on the car much , until this weekend. It's on now. Pi cams and intake swap beginning. All the guides were ok except for the pass side tensioner guide, worn right through. Think the engine was run low on oil at some point? Drivers head is clean, pass side much dirtier.

This car's maintenance list is that it was beaten with a bag of hammers once every 3,000 miles. So there's that. Engine isn't original, so it's had at least 3 owners, anything is possible.

Compressed the lash adjusters after heating them up like so in the picture. Did each one 3-4 times until they moved freely enough. Did a .012 shim under the intake adjusters, I feel I could have gone bigger, but for now it's an experiment. Should reduce lash by .006 on the intake side.

I'm going to have to show how the PI intake swap is done, early 2004 style. Once I do, there will be more pics, I promise.
IMG_20190317_163503853.jpegIMG_20190317_131757529.jpegIMG_20190317_131748951.jpeg

Sent from my moto z3 using Tapatalk

PinkieT

Reaction score
Never know what you got until you got it. Guy came into work today to check on a gas tank. 2007 Lincoln, he drove it before he bought it but didn't give it a thorough check. Ge found a puddle of gas on the garage floor every morning. He had his mechanic check it on the lift and found the prior owner slapped some kind of sheet metal/JB weld patches on holes in the gas tank. We priced him a new one - over a grand! He said he still owed $6k on the car and didn't have the moneyh. We referred him to a few boneyards and wished him luck.

OP
OP
S

Silver95bird

Reaction score
Ok, so I lied. Was putting things back together, and the Mrs. said "what's the point in having that thing unless we use it", so this build is making a turn...
ec457209aed3b8db48f5e0c9ec5d2829.jpg
a412e4f4869f2861dd45b22b3bb7587f.jpg

OP
OP
S

Silver95bird

Reaction score
Spent 3 hours last night dealing with a broken off bolt in the pass head, all the way in the front. Ended up drilling it to max and re tapping the hole.

In checking things, the svo blower is thinner than the stock manifold. I either have to buy shorter bolts, or a crapton of washers. Stock bolts are 55mm long I need 35mm according to the sneaky98gt post I found. 40mm will work with less washers, but one thing at a time.

Every bit of this requires more trips to the hardware store. Had to buy a 3/8 npt tap and drill bit for the cooling mod. Also moved the IAT to the discharge side of the blower.

Reassembled the blower, but it wanted to bind. So I backed the bolts out, tapped it with a mallet a bit, and spun the rotors whilst (and at the same time) turning each bolt 1/4 at a time, going around in a circle. Success! It actually turns freer now than it did before, and I thought it was okay before.

PinkieT

Reaction score
You and burninriverdriver are doing the same blower retrofit, it looks like. You can swap tips!

Burninriverdiver

Reaction score
I'm glad to see you working at this too! I needed some more live expert advice, I bet you beat me to the first startup

white95

Apex Junky
Admin
Reaction score
Fastenal is my preference for sourcing obscure bolts needed for weird projects.

I like where this is going.

98snakehorse

Reaction score
I was kinda in the same boat as you. I bought my 98 with high miles for like $1k and pretty much went through the entire thing. Atleast when its all said and done you know you'll have solid car.

OP
OP
S

Silver95bird

Reaction score
Did some more this weekend. Got the manifold on, refilled with oil before it went on. Egr hooked up, 38lb injectors and rails on, started making brackets before the night got long.

Still have the throttle bracket and alt bracket to do yet. I have a rough idea for the throttle bracket, but I need to design my alt bracket from the measurements I have. The coolant passages just need hoses attached in the back, and plumbed into the heater return line. Need bolts for the tstat housing yet.
c8d756740bcf9d614439e5497ae54517.jpg
1c14f28bd2c22e03d2a3348971fa80b8.jpg
7788913b18ec4596fe9cabdcb3098fb1.jpg

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
senior001