Thread closed.

Daryl

SN95 Supporter
Reaction score
And the gremlins continue!
Shortly after I drive the car (i.e., on my way to work; in between errands; etc), the ABS idiot light comes on. For no apparent or obvious reason. New brake pads, rotors and brake fluid working very well. so what’s the fix? Bad sensor? Fuse? Or ???

Thanks!

ttocs

Post Whore
Reaction score
Fluid working well - I am not sure exactly what that means or how you would test it but the light coming on is a warning that your brake fluid reservoir is low on fluid.

OP
OP
Daryl

Daryl

SN95 Supporter
Reaction score
Fluid working well - I am not sure exactly what that means or how you would test it but the light coming on is a warning that your brake fluid reservoir is low on fluid.
Yeah, that was a bit out of context. The “working well “ reference was regarding the pads and rotors. Threw in the fluid element to answer any potential questions like,”have you recently changed the brake fluid?” in case that factors into the equation somehow

OP
OP
Daryl

Daryl

SN95 Supporter
Reaction score
I checked out a video online to see if I could remove, clean and reinstall the ABS sensors. I started with the front passenger side. I properly and safely jacked up that side, removed wheel and had a look. The video shows a 1/4” bolt backside of the plate. So of the 2 lines on the backside of the brakes, it’s definitely NOT the line that attaches to the caliper. I’m pretty sure that is the brake fluid line, right?
So I’m trying to remove the 1/4” funky looking headed bolt(?) but it wants to strip because I only have a box end wrench to try to bust it loose. Is there a specific tool that I need to remove this ABS sensor bolt?

P.S.- I did shimmy a microfiber towel in there and see-sawed in up and down to try to clean it off, but I don’t think that did much :-(

ttocs

Post Whore
Reaction score
yes the line that goes to the caliper is the brake hose. The abs sensor will go closer to the hub. So you have checked the fluid level, changed the fluid and then I would guess bleed the brakes as well?

OP
OP
Daryl

Daryl

SN95 Supporter
Reaction score
Pretty much guessing for lack of any deeper knowledge of how to remedy

evilcw311

Most Evil Member!
SN95 Supporter
Reaction score
[mention]Daryl [/mention] honestly after so many years the sensors get a nasty build up of rusty flakes and stuff. Sometimes you just have to replace them. Best thing to do is find someone who can help you pull the codes. I can’t remember if there’s a way to do it without a scanner or not.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OP
OP
Daryl

Daryl

SN95 Supporter
Reaction score
Well, I went ahead and cleaned all 4 sensors today. Took a while since the only power tools I have are by Armstrong (ba-dum-bump!), but all 4 are damn clean now. Passenger rear was the worst but all needed cleaning. Hit each with brake cleaner, toothbrush, wire brush, 0000 and wiped clean with microfiber towel.

Fingers crossed when I drive it next the ABS idiot light won’t light up.
E8F3DB5D-6FDD-4CDC-8D78-542CDE0FCFAE.jpeg EF2B22A5-BF04-4FD6-B2B4-C1B3AB708B72.jpeg 372C2BF0-938E-49AA-A62A-8433B869B760.jpeg

OP
OP
Daryl

Daryl

SN95 Supporter
Reaction score
Will find out this afternoon. I have to take the truck to work this morning. Picking up a cat maze from one of my renters who built but never used it. Hopefully this’ll be the final piece in the on-going “Catio” project for my wife that has become WAAAAY more involved than needs be!

evilcw311

Most Evil Member!
SN95 Supporter
Reaction score
Will find out this afternoon. I have to take the truck to work this morning. Picking up a cat maze from one of my renters who built but never used it. Hopefully this’ll be the final piece in the on-going “Catio” project for my wife that has become WAAAAY more involved than needs be!

Cat maze?!?!? I’ve seen mice mazes but not a cat maze

OP
OP
Daryl

Daryl

SN95 Supporter
Reaction score
Cat maze?!?!? I’ve seen mice mazes but not a cat maze

It’s for the “Catio” wifey had me build. Don’t get me started!!

ttocs

Post Whore
Reaction score
It’s for the “Catio” wifey had me build. Don’t get me started!!
after a meeting we are sorry to report that you will need to remove a corner of your man card for publicly admitting to taking part in the construction of a "catio". If that was the last corner then you will need to report to your local strip club, which will mean you need to get your kitchen pass...

evilcw311

Most Evil Member!
SN95 Supporter
Reaction score
after a meeting we are sorry to report that you will need to remove a corner of your man card for publicly admitting to taking part in the construction of a "catio". If that was the last corner then you will need to report to your local strip club, which will mean you need to get your kitchen pass...

Next thing you know he’ll be hanging out in her she-shed.....................

OP
OP
Daryl

Daryl

SN95 Supporter
Reaction score
Daisy & Kitten from the local Gentlemen’s Club said to say hello. Of course, closing the place down last night had NOTHING to do with me calling out sick to work this morning!
LOL

But there’s bad news on another front:

the ABS sensor clean (x4) did not do the trick. That darn ABS idiot light went on today when I went to NAPA to get filter and earl for the wife’s SUV

Last edited:
OP
OP
Daryl

Daryl

SN95 Supporter
Reaction score
Next thing you know he’ll be hanging out in her she-shed.....................

Oh, hell no! Ain’t got one; ain’t gettin one. Daddy has his man cave with dual recliners and multiple remotes that only I know how to use to make it all work... and a walk-in tool/motorcycle shed. Both of which she’s never even stepped foot into!

OP
OP
Daryl

Daryl

SN95 Supporter
Reaction score
Back on-point: the ABS idiot light still goes on even AFTER I cleaned all 4 sensors. Even had the negative battery cable disconnected with hopes it would reset.

So what’s next?

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rvseverson