Throwout bearing confusion.

96laseredcobra

Reaction score
Will this cause the clutch pedal to vibrate in gear and not in gear while pulling to a stop?

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G890A using Tapatalk

hondarocks61

Reaction score
To use the tool you'll need to take the flywheel off. Im going to warn you though, the tools are not that great with our pilot bearings. You will be much better of just using the bread and you will save yourself a lot of headache.
Gave me a good chuckle.

Sent from my LGL22C using Tapatalk

evilcw311

Most Evil Member!
SN95 Supporter
Reaction score
Yeah. It's not a joke!!! As funny as it sounds it's the best way to do it but feel free to try another if you don't like.

This message courtesy of crapatalk!

Thomas_W

Reaction score
Will this cause the clutch pedal to vibrate in gear and not in gear while pulling to a stop?

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G890A using Tapatalk

Vibrate or pulsate?

if your clutch pedal is pulsating with it in gear and driving down the road, then the TOB is constantly touching the pressure plate springs, this will cause premature TOB failure.

Alright... What is it with the bread? i have heard some amazing redneck engineering stories, but never one about bread and a pilot bearing.

OP
OP
gt_thunder

gt_thunder

Reaction score
Vibrate or pulsate?

if your clutch pedal is pulsating with it in gear and driving down the road, then the TOB is constantly touching the pressure plate springs, this will cause premature TOB failure.

Alright... What is it with the bread? i have heard some amazing redneck engineering stories, but never one about bread and a pilot bearing.
It's the same idea as using grease to get it out. You pack it in and use a bolt and hammer it into the bearing and it'll push behind the bearing and the pressure will eventually push the bearing out.

I imagine some would use bread instead of grease for an easier cleanup.

Sent from my SM-G900P using Tapatalk

Thomas_W

Reaction score
It's the same idea as using grease to get it out. You pack it in and use a bolt and hammer it into the bearing and it'll push behind the bearing and the pressure will eventually push the bearing out.

I imagine some would use bread instead of grease for an easier cleanup.

Ahh ok. I figured it was something like that.

hondarocks61

Reaction score
I looked up removing a bearing with bread.

I was not disappointed.

Sent from my LGL22C using Tapatalk

OP
OP
gt_thunder

gt_thunder

Reaction score
Here is a quick video I made of how it sounds. It's not as loud in the video and you can't really hear the ticking sorta noise that accompanies the squeaking.

What do you all think?

https://youtu.be/1qSAGpvYgJg

98snakehorse

Reaction score
Bread is a great method to getting the PB out. Op just swap out the TOB and PB. All of this is pretty simple aside from taking some time pulling the trans. Very sure that your TOB is failing but the PB could use a replacement as well. If you have any questions on how to remove the trans or anything we can help you on here step by step and you can have it fixed in no time. Buy a Ford racing TOB and PB as others will fail quite a bit quicker.

OP
OP
gt_thunder

gt_thunder

Reaction score
Bread is a great method to getting the PB out. Op just swap out the TOB and PB. All of this is pretty simple aside from taking some time pulling the trans. Very sure that your TOB is failing but the PB could use a replacement as well. If you have any questions on how to remove the trans or anything we can help you on here step by step and you can have it fixed in no time. Buy a Ford racing TOB and PB as others will fail quite a bit quicker.
Thanks for all the help. I actually have a buddy who is a lot more experienced than me that's going to help me drop the tranny and do all of this.

I decided to refresh almost everything while I have the tranny out.

I picked up a Ford Racing TOB, Ford Racing PB, Ford Racing clutch fork, pivot stud, flywheel bolts, pressure plate bolts, Steeda adjustable clutch cable kit, and rear main seal.

I'm having no issues with the clutch so I'm gonna leave that till it needs replacing. Considering after I get help dropping the tranny this time I'll be comfortable enough to do it myself for the clutch in the future.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hazel113

Members online