Tips for rattle can paint jobs

OP
OP
96blak54

96blak54

Staff
Reaction score
WELL CRAP!!!

The paint I selected has ceased production and is no longer available. Although I have found about 12cans listed on ebay for $18ea I still need roughly 20 more cans.....and forget about $18ea!!!

Unless you guys wouldnt mind peaking at the paint section at the local department stores for it....im crap out of luck. Sooooo......what is available? Rustoleum oil rubbed bronze and after testing the paint, its a fail! This paint wants to react with polishing compond and wax. Gets all tacking. CRAP! So that pretty much eliminates that entire line of paint. So now im looking at the Gloss Krylon Maxx again. Seems like the base primary colors are available everywhere. To be sure ive picked up a few select colors to test out before moving forward. Black, leather brown, and yellow. Im not going to do the yellow...lol. The leather brown is to brown.......so I guess its gonna be black.....again! This sux! I loved the oil rubbed bronze. It had a very dark but subtle brownish shade in dark location, but when in direct sunlight the paint glistened a sunburst amber.

I guess dull boring ol'black

Reaction score
Hah that blows...did you talk to Allen, 9838 (soon to be "9846") stang, about painting? He's like a guru for rattle can paint work

are there any other colors you would consider going with? something just as elegant that will set off the black?

ttocs

Post Whore
Reaction score
did you try a clear on top of the paint? Rustoleom is more of a rust encapsulating paint then something meant to look as good as automotive paint but put a clear on it and you can then wetsand/polish/wax to your hearts content.

Now the lack of paint though that is a deal breaker as by the time you buy the paint at that price you could get a good automotive paint of the color you like. the only problem then is obviously the paint gun/compressor. I have read that people have had ok/good results with electric paint sprayers like harbor frieght sells and with that you could get what ever color you want and in a better quality of paint as well.

OP
OP
96blak54

96blak54

Staff
Reaction score
Hah that blows...did you talk to Allen, 9838 (soon to be "9846") stang, about painting? He's like a guru for rattle can paint work

are there any other colors you would consider going with? something just as elegant that will set off the black?
Ill pick his brain some. Thanks

ttocs
The krylon applied multiple heavy coats, wets sanded 2x and buffed pops like no other!! Makes a redneck painter such as myself look impressive. The Rustoleum is junk!....or at least for automotive application.

ttocs

Post Whore
Reaction score
I have had good luck with krylon but I only use it on plastic myself. When it comes to anything else I use duplicolor. I have had the same issues with other brands of paint to where I do not trust any others.

OP
OP
96blak54

96blak54

Staff
Reaction score
Where can I find duplicolor? The other paints look great, but when using buffing compound or wax the paint got tacky.

Here is a pic of what I need. Roughly 20 cans will finish my project.

c89f50a6df7cb99172f5d3d2798ac5f1.jpg

hondarocks61

Reaction score
Last time I tried to clear rustoleum with acylic clear in a can...

Lets just say it didnt work.

Sent from my LGL22C using Tapatalk

OP
OP
96blak54

96blak54

Staff
Reaction score
Yea,....looks like krylon maxx gloss black is the choice. I see it being sold everywhere!

hondarocks61

Reaction score
That's actually a good idea! What do you propose?
If the roof is already done for example, you could do the body black or vice versa. Then buff the whole thing!

Sent from my LGL22C using Tapatalk

OP
OP
96blak54

96blak54

Staff
Reaction score
The roof, trunk and body is bronze. The hood front & rear cover is black.

Reaction score
blak, i think the bronze will look cool. not too many mustangs out the colored like that. not only will it be unique but the metallic of the color will show off the curves and lines of the cars body

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
robtalbott