Tire sizes for 1994 and 2012 wheels?

FivepointSlow

Reaction score
I have a set of 18" wheels on my car now, that when I go to put new tires on I want to get high performance tires for. I will not leave these wheels on during the winter, so I need a good and preferrable cheap tire that will be good for a summer wheel. I am hanging on to my stock wheels and will be buying winter tires for them. As those of you who follow my build thread know I recently got my dads old wheels that he had bought new off of a 2012 Mustang GT. I plastidipped them and slapped them on. From what I have read most of you with 18" rims have xxx/40r18 tires on them. What size and more importantly what brand of tire should I get for these 2012 take offs when I go to put new tires on them (which won't be for another 5k miles).

1994 OEM wheels- Current size = 225/55r16
Should I stay with that size tire? Is there a particular kind or brand of tire that is best for winter?

2012 OEM wheels on my 1994- Current size = 235/50r18
Should I get a 235/40r18? Maybe something a little wider like a 245/40r18? Without spending over $500 on all 4 tires, what type/brand should I get for the summer months?

An added note- Price isn't a HUGE deal because my dad's bestfriend owns a local body shop and I can get tires at cost. But I would like to stay under $500 retail value for both the winter tires on the 16s and the summer tires on the 18's(500 per set.. not 500 together. If only they here that cheap. lol)

90DBsVI.jpg

foi9EpA.jpg

G8IgMFK.jpg

oxMJlBE.jpg

FTV9yfL.jpg

the5.ohh

Legend
Reaction score
For both I'd HIGHLY recommend Continental Extreme Contact DWS. My dads rwd Benz has em, my bro's fox has them. They are amazing tires, they're an all season but they are pretty sticky and have great dry and wet traction, awesome in the snow too even on these rwd cars. For the stockers you could keep the same size, or go to 255/55/16s. The 18s I would do 245/45/18 all around if your keeping the same size.

OP
OP
FivepointSlow

FivepointSlow

Reaction score
I might just throw that on the 18's, idk how much those tires are. But for the stockers I want something that is specific to driving in snow almost, because A I don't give 2 shits about the rims getting trashed and B I give many shits if my car gets trashed, and here in CT, specifically Enfield, our roads get super slippery and if I'm lucky enough to have my car handle like my moms 2005 Convertible and my dads 2007 coupe (WHICH IS WON'T, LOL) My ass end will slide everywhere, being a 5 speed and me being a new driver. They both have all season tires and I can't deal with that shit.

I might just go and get a lift kit and some nice 26" rims for it during the winter months... LOL

mcglsr2

SN95 Supporter
Reaction score
A couple things - when I first got my Mustang it had 245/45 17's on it. For a comparable size in 18, you would want 245/40 18. As far as what size and brand, it's limited by your price. Much wider than that will cost you more, and brand will as well. I don't use my Mustang for DD duty, so I tend towards a more extreme tire, perhaps more extreme then you want (or want to pay for). The brands I tend stick with and have had good experience with are Nitto, Hankook, Dunlop, BF Goodrich and Bridgestone. For "normal" tires on my DD I use Hankook Ventus V12 Evo 110 (which is a ridiculous name for a tire). The trouble you'll have is the 18" diameter - these tires will tend to cost more than a comparable 17". I would say it's going to cost about $150 a tire for a decent set that offers good summer performance. Look for BFG g-Force's, or Bridgestones. Or you could go with Kumho Ecsta ASX - it's an okay tire, but cheaper. If all you want is a tire (and don't care about performance), then that's a reasonable option. Falken's are okay too.

Second thing, I don't know what it is with the 18" wheels in that pic, maybe it's the 50 series sidewall, but it makes the car look like a monster truck for some reason :)

Edit: I don't drive in snow - don't get it around here. But from everything I've read (specifically on WRX/STI sites), Blizzaks are where it's at for a snow tire.

Win

Legend
Reaction score
First things first...you have a suspension problem or somethi g going on.... I think those are 18x8 for the 2012 wheels I hate continental tires with a passion...they dry up to quick... there too hard of a compound for our cars...do yourself a favor and go bfg gforce ta or some mich super sport tires. Or if you can swing it go falken rt615 azenis.... as for the winter wheels I would just run what you have on there.

OP
OP
FivepointSlow

FivepointSlow

Reaction score
The tires on the stock wheels have about 5 miles left on them. So they have to be replaced regardless... Lol
I've never heard of blizzaks, but I'll have to look those up.

My driving consists of 3 miles to school and back, a mile to work, and back, and most of my friends live within 15 miles of me. The longest distance driving I'd ever do would be for a car show, and I might be going to the AM show so that's a bit of a hike. But anyways all my driving is city miles. So I don't need any fancy tires that handle over 100 for winter tires and the summer tires I'll occasionally be pushing the limit of the car on an empty highway and I'd need I believe a V rated tire for that (149MPH)

And yes I am aware of the suspension problem. My front 2 springs are basically broken in half and cause my front wheels to sit back a little farther than normal. I might need new controls arms too, was caused in the accident with previous owner... Coil overs will be my next big purchase. But if I can't afford those before getting the car registered I have a set of lowering springs I can put on. That's why I haven't sold the springs yet. Not sure when I can get the coilovers

Sent from my iPhone 5 using Tapatalk

mavisky

Reaction score
OMG fix the springs immediately before you go buying new wheels. Bald tires aren't as dangerous as complete suspension failure.

OnyxCobra

Post Whore
Reaction score
i'd stick to a 26" tire personally, depending on width something like a 255/40-18 could be perfect.

OP
OP
FivepointSlow

FivepointSlow

Reaction score
Like I said car won't be registered til the spring.. And I have lowering springs set aside, but I'm hoping to get coil overs to put on it. It will be fixed before it's registered regardless.

OP
OP
FivepointSlow

FivepointSlow

Reaction score
So I'm pretty sure [MENTION=17616]the5.ohh[/MENTION] needs to be a salesman for Continental... He sold me. I'm not 100% on the sizes yet but I'm pretty much staying with these tires for the winter wheels, if I come across anything else for the summer wheels I may change my mind.

18" wheels *Summer wheels*- Continental Extreme Contact DW (dry, wet) P245/40 R18 (was gonna get a 45 sidewall but they cost like $50 more a tire... **** that)
$144/each ($576 for set)
16" wheels *Winter beater wheels*- Continental Extreme Contact DWS (dry, wet, snow) P225/55 R16
$125/each ($500 for set)

Saint

Reaction score
I'm not trying to be funny but did the previous owner lift up your car to put 22's or something. I've never seen one sit that high.

OP
OP
FivepointSlow

FivepointSlow

Reaction score
Stock suspension. Broken suspension.
2 front springs are broken due to accident it was in. And it's also sitting really weird in my driveway, the side the picture is taken from is sitting higher than the passenger side by a lot. Pass side has like a 2 finger wheel gap and drivers side has a fist or two wheel gap. My driveway isn't even slanted that much but when I had it parked on the flat part of the driveway to replace the fuel tank and all that lovely crap in the rear the car sat totally level. Idk it's weird I know

Sent from my iPhone 5 using Tapatalk

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Suprasuavy

Members online