Too much boost?

seantesarski

Reaction score
Vortech V3 is on the way and the previous owner said he has a 12# pulley on it ...

My setup is: 95 gt, stock block, 340 fuel pump, 60# injectors, pro m maf. Should I get a larger pulley or take my chances and see what this gives me for hp? Car will also be tuned on the dyno

Cheers

Musturd

Post Whore
Reaction score
I'd just push 12#'s right out of the box and hope the head gaskets hold up ....

OP
OP
seantesarski

seantesarski

Reaction score
I'd just push 12#'s right out of the box and hope the head gaskets hold up ....

Haha I was expecting you to chime in with that response. i know its hard to say "will" or "if" it'll hold up. Im guessing 12# will take me around 400 wheel? Just dont wanna blow it up first run or even on the dyno

Musturd

Post Whore
Reaction score
It won't blow up but might pop a head gasket depending what heads the other guy had with stock heads because of the restriction your car actually may see more boost

OP
OP
seantesarski

seantesarski

Reaction score
It won't blow up but might pop a head gasket depending what heads the other guy had with stock heads because of the restriction your car actually may see more boost

Ah ok, I know he had aftermarket heads not too sure which ones though. Worst case I put a 8# pulley on it and dyno the car. If it doesnt make a good number I can always upgrade back to the 12#

jedpony

Reaction score
Only thing to worry about is the headgasket. I was pushing almost 14psi on my stock hci 95 with boltons with my procharger. With 60# injectors that might be a little bit of overkill, i was using 42# and that was more than enough. I was a little disappointed in the hp number making 325rwhp but the car had so much torque down low making 375rwtq. Just make sure you have a good tune, otherwise your screwed. Are you running a bypass valve on yours?

OP
OP
seantesarski

seantesarski

Reaction score
Only thing to worry about is the headgasket. I was pushing almost 14psi on my stock hci 95 with boltons with my procharger. With 60# injectors that might be a little bit of overkill, i was using 42# and that was more than enough. I was a little disappointed in the hp number making 325rwhp but the car had so much torque down low making 375rwtq. Just make sure you have a good tune, otherwise your screwed. Are you running a bypass valve on yours?

Yeah its got a bosch bypass. Will have a good tune on the dyno. I think I might go down to 8# to not only let the engine last a little longer till I can upgrade but to keep the stock T5 happy

wildman97

Reaction score
Just because it made 12#'s on his setup don't mean it will on yours. I had a blower on my Stock 91 5.0 and it was making 11#'s, sold it to my cousin who had AFR heads, F cam, annd holly intake, long tubes (full exhaust). He is only making 7-8 lbs. A better flowing system (H/C/I/LT's) may produce less boost, so putting it on a stock setup may net more than 12#'s and head gaskets will pop..:embarrassed:

Well thats my theory.. maybe wrong. :eek:

OP
OP
seantesarski

seantesarski

Reaction score
Just because it made 12#'s on his setup don't mean it will on yours. I had a blower on my Stock 91 5.0 and it was making 11#'s, sold it to my cousin who had AFR heads, F cam, annd holly intake, long tubes (full exhaust). He is only making 7-8 lbs. A better flowing system (H/C/I/LT's) may produce less boost, so putting it on a stock setup may net more than 12#'s and head gaskets will pop..:embarrassed:

Well thats my theory.. maybe wrong. :eek:

Thats the other thing that concerns me actually. His car was a mild build 351W with H/C/I seeing 12#'s where as mine is a stock block/h/c/i.

Musturd

Post Whore
Reaction score
Thats the other thing that concerns me actually. His car was a mild build 351W with H/C/I seeing 12#'s where as mine is a stock block/h/c/i.

Oh oh man your going to have to pulley down it's going to push over 15lbs almost garunteed

Dalamar

Post Whore
SN95 Supporter
Reaction score
At what point does the heat of compressed charge air become an issue?

if you haven't looked into the details you'll get much more performance across the board ffrom cooling the charge than adding a few more pounds of boost. Intercooling is like free power if you can swig the cost.

OP
OP
seantesarski

seantesarski

Reaction score
I've looked into a lot of things now and yeah the intercooler or meth would make a lot of sense. But at the same time I have a stock t5 ad I'm sure that wouldn't like anything I'm about to do to it. So I'll just run low boost until I can put the good parts in her

410sn95

Reaction score
Just to throw this out there... At what rpm was the 12lbs made at? I guess its safe to ASSume that since it was a "mild build" and didn't rev past 6k.

Extreme example: Friend of mine built a 90's based outlaw motor with a novi 2k that was setup to spin to 8500 and max out the blower. Later we put same blower and pulley combo on a gt40 top end motor and made only roughly 8lbs at 5500.

Just pointing out that rpm will also factor in a big way.

We ran the outlaw motor on the street a bit, was a riot. Never got it fully tuned before the motor was pulled.

OP
OP
seantesarski

seantesarski

Reaction score
Just to throw this out there... At what rpm was the 12lbs made at? I guess its safe to ASSume that since it was a "mild build" and didn't rev past 6k.

Extreme example: Friend of mine built a 90's based outlaw motor with a novi 2k that was setup to spin to 8500 and max out the blower. Later we put same blower and pulley combo on a gt40 top end motor and made only roughly 8lbs at 5500.

Just pointing out that rpm will also factor in a big way.

We ran the outlaw motor on the street a bit, was a riot. Never got it fully tuned before the motor was pulled.

im not too sure what he was revving it to but I saw a vid of it building 10# at like 3000

410sn95

Reaction score
10lbs at 3k? mild build 351? What are the pulley dimensions? Blower and Crank?

That's A LOT of boost at 3k for a mild 351 imho...

10lbs at 3k but 12 max? something is not right. Unless he's got a lot of belt slip...

Musturd

Post Whore
Reaction score
Shit my cars pushing 15lbs I'm only at like 5-7lbs at 3k

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
marktuck99

Members online

No members online now.