Truth about NPI vs PI

George

Reaction score
Excellent write up, I'm new to the Modular world and looking to make some respectable number this winter. Thank for the information.

Pete@FTR

Preferred Vendor
Reaction score
I just purchased a 98 GT and am pretty handy. Would i be able to do cams and intake on my own with no experience? I dont want to screw up my engine.

Yup, as long as you find some good instructions and follow them to the t. Intake is extremely easy, cams are not hard as long as you pay attention to what you're doing

muskyfins

Reaction score
OK-I think I got it....nope...wait...what?

On track with the original post, are you telling me the 99-04 are always PI from the factory? We just added our first modular to the fleet and want to make sure we have a full understanding. What components are PI on a 2001?

D3VST8R96GT

Reaction score
OK-I think I got it....nope...wait...what?

On track with the original post, are you telling me the 99-04 are always PI from the factory? We just added our first modular to the fleet and want to make sure we have a full understanding. What components are PI on a 2001?
Intake heads cams... full pi motor.

99-04 are all pi motors

muskyfins

Reaction score
Intake heads cams... full pi motor.

99-04 are all pi motors

OH Boy! Thank you. But now I have more questions than answers. LOL

What are the logical next steps? Tune? Is there any thought on aftermarket Intakes, throttle bodies or cams?

The car has some sort of headers but i couldn't get a close enough look at them. They didn't really impress me though. (I don't take possession of the car until Wednesday)

Also has 3.73 gears.

I'm really thinking "just drive it" until we're ready for the charger?

DropTopPony

Post Whore
SN95 Supporter
Reaction score
I just read this from the beginning for the first time since 06, we sure did love our 2V's back then.

white95

Apex Junky
Admin
Reaction score
I just bought some PI cams from duff daddy and an intake locally. I did had a lead on some heads but the guy wasn't honest with me about the pricing so I question the condition. Hoping to find some that don't require a rebuild.

DropTopPony

Post Whore
SN95 Supporter
Reaction score
Is [MENTION=10730]duff daddy[/MENTION] still around?

I thought he was buried in baby toys and forgot ww were here.

white95

Apex Junky
Admin
Reaction score
Yep.. Mostly talk to him on Facebook.. Too much talk of s281 wings and Saleen wheels here for his sanity. His therapist said to stay away from noobs.

DropTopPony

Post Whore
SN95 Supporter
Reaction score
I'm gonna text him a picture of me standing on my Saleen wheels and holding my CF S281 covering up my man parts.

myk

Reaction score
I just read this from the beginning for the first time since 06, we sure did love our 2V's back then.

And on that note, I'm looking at my '98 seriously for the first time since around '06. I just installed Koni shocks and lowering springs and now I'm remembering the need to wake up this car's motor. I know I'm late to the game, but I'm considering the PI swap for this car-it just turned 100K on the 'odo. I already have the intake installed, and I figure I might as well go along with the heads and cams. Has anything changed with this 'mod or is it still just a matter of finding PI heads and cams, bolting them on and getting it all tuned? I see some vendors that sell fully assembled PI heads, but is there a specific vendor you guys would recommend? I've got other car projects going on so unfortunately I can't get too fancy with the parts; I'm hoping just to pick up stock PI heads/cams and get it all tuned. Advice? Suggestions? Any input is appreciated...

96blak54

Staff
Reaction score
Shoot for the '04-up 9thread spark plug holes. Pi heads are known for spitting plugs out due to the 4thread holes in the pre-'03 years. Over torqueing the plugs is a major contributor to the problem and the Windsor made heads are a guarantee problem, be sure to steer from them.

On a side note, npi heads decked to aquire the same static compression ratio and equipped with pi gear dyno's really close to the same power.

DropTopPony

Post Whore
SN95 Supporter
Reaction score
Good advice above, if you are buying new PI heads try to find the newest ones you can with revised heads.

You could blow the budget and get some trick flows, that is what I would do if I was starting over.

96blak54

Staff
Reaction score
Also really good advise^

TFS heads with a good rocking cam and higher flow intake puts 400hp to the ground!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Cwacaser

Members online