Truth about NPI vs PI

driftingmustang

Reaction score
J.R. said:
Figure on spending about 2k, and you can always get another set of NPI's for like, free and have those ported while you wait.
HOLY CRAP! 2,000 for porting, wait, are you sure, what!?!?!

Jrgunn5150

Post Whore
Reaction score
How much did you think it was? You'll need new valves, guides, seals, spring's, machining, shipping.... The only place I would send them charges almost 3k.

Reaction score
That's what Quality work with NEW Stainless valves,NEW aftermarket springs, and NEW guides will cost you whether it's a PI or an NPI Head. If you think a $600 portwork job from Joe-Schmo will be even somewhat comparable-you need to put the crack-pipe down.
JL

driftingmustang

Reaction score
J.R. said:
How much did you think it was? You'll need new valves, guides, seals, spring's, machining, shipping.... The only place I would send them charges almost 3k.
What is the point to porting them then, you can get new ford racing heads for less than that? or a brand new PI intake, PI heads for less than half of that.

how much gain is there to porting NPI heads?

Jrgunn5150

Post Whore
Reaction score
About as much of a gain as their is to porting PI heads. BTW, Ford Racing heads, are PI heads.

driftingmustang

Reaction score
J.R. said:
About as much of a gain as their is to porting PI heads. BTW, Ford Racing heads, are PI heads.
are you sure? they cost more than brand new PI heads as listed. ($950 for both racing heads, $750 for both PI heads.

Jrgunn5150

Post Whore
Reaction score
Yes I'm sure, unless you are talking about SVO's, which are not 950 a pair, they used to be 2k total, but they are discontinued now.

driftingmustang

Reaction score
J.R. said:
Yes I'm sure, unless you are talking about SVO's, which are not 950 a pair, they used to be 2k total, but they are discontinued now.
they might be, i dont know, all i know is i see them listed on steeda .com for 950 a pair and your supposed to gain 35 hp from the heads alone and 70 hp with a ford racing intake manifold which is a bigger gain than a PI head and intake swap without tuning.

Goldmember

Reaction score
I intend to do PI Cams this summer. My question is, should I get a degree wheel and all that other jazz? Just read the Mod Depot link on page 3 and they're really playing it up...

reivaxtorres

Reaction score
Goldmember said:
I intend to do PI Cams this summer. My question is, should I get a degree wheel and all that other jazz? Just read the Mod Depot link on page 3 and they're really playing it up...

for just the PI cams? no. just use the same timing marks on the chains and the keys and the guides on the cams/cam gears.

for the record....ford uses the exact same chains, guides, crank gears, and cam gears between 96-04, and they used the same method for timing on all the engines.

Goldmember

Reaction score
OK thanks man... I'm seriously considering doing cams, but I've never done anything this involved and I don't want to mess my car up!

dwight97

Reaction score
i put the pi cams intake and bigger fuel pump and regulator and it hauls ass now definatly worth it...and i used the 200 model gaskets and copper silicone no leaks...be sure to re torque intake after driving fr about hour or just getting it warm

GThang98

Reaction score
i use a focus pump with my supercharger and i havent had any problems in my 98 but i think the lincoln aviator fuel pump flows a little more tho, but it was a very easy install but last time i checked i thought walbro didnt make one for the 98's cause of the fuel system that it has from 99's idk, cause my had the newer fuel system, but i know walbro made pumps 96-97 mod motors last time i checked i could be wrong

96zr mustang GT

thanks for the info it help me out alot i am new to the mod motors the last 8 stangs i have had were 5.0 fox bodys i am liking the sn-95 better over all and learning more and more everyday

thomsenski

Reaction score
there is good information there but not all of it is that great, the other thing is the flow from the heads do you know what the differnece is with cfm? im just saying if you want to go to the next level then yea but at the same time if your going thought all the work to replace the cams and intake why not do it right and put the heads on too, then there are other modifcations you can pic up, the higher compression also results in more power too, but why speed the money on somthing your only going to gain this amount when you can do something better and gain more, theres a reason why ford dosnt make a non pi 4.6 anymore heck the 4.6 2v pi eninge is still in production in 2010 so just saying dude it works so why wast the time or money on a non pi

Reaction score
thomsenski said:
there is good information there but not all of it is that great, the other thing is the flow from the heads do you know what the differnece is with cfm? im just saying if you want to go to the next level then yea but at the same time if your going thought all the work to replace the cams and intake why not do it right and put the heads on too, then there are other modifcations you can pic up, the higher compression also results in more power too, but why speed the money on somthing your only going to gain this amount when you can do something better and gain more, theres a reason why ford dosnt make a non pi 4.6 anymore heck the 4.6 2v pi eninge is still in production in 2010 so just saying dude it works so why wast the time or money on a non pi
Ignorance is bliss,eh?
Nobody's wasting any time here but you.
JL

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
bs.austin.tx

Members online