Updated 1/28/10: Stevens build up: Project Muscle car

Steven

Legend
Reaction score
So when I traded the 95 for this car, I had to sit down and think of what I wanted. A prostreet was a little to race oriented, but a resto mod I found killed the whole feeling of an old muscle car, let alone that it ruined the originality of the car. I also didn't want a fully restored car, as thats pretty boring to me, as is the fact I wouldn't want to touch it. By NO means am I knocking Jeffs *dalamar's* or matt's builds. They have both put tons of work in, and both cars are works of art. I wanted a different direction for my car. It's a different body style, different vision. 69/70 being one of the most muscular body styles, and also being the body style of the Boss mustangs, and original Mach 1's, I decided I wanted a muscle car look. I neither wanted to restore the car, nor did I want to just do shotty work and bolt it together. I decided to build a car in the fashion that it would have been what someone would road around in when they still ran the streets as badass street machines. Call me a little nostalgic, but I like it. So, i've officially deemed this muscle car, as it is a street car, with attitude and power to back it up. This is how I got the car

IMG_0050-1.jpg

IMG_0053.jpg

IMG_0058.jpg

IMG_0038-1.jpg

Obviously the car was a race car when I got it. It had a cleveland in it that was pretty damn stout. I got the car, minus the motor and trans. It's solid, has good paint, No real rust issues. Pretty much perfect for me, as I don't want to get into fighting cancer right now.

The car is getting all of this, most of which I already have

69 351w:
- Factory Crank balanced
- Factory Rods balanced
- Flat top 11:1 Pistons
- Victor Jr's, 205 cc head
- Victor JR intake
- Barry grant 575 Street demon
- Comp cam
- Crane Gold race RR's
- Longtubes w/ 3" exhaust and borla XR1's
- Backed by a built C6 with a B&M Pro ratchet shifter

9" with a 3.50 Detroit locker in it. Car has alot of drag oriented suspension, the traction bars are staying, as are the welds. Just N50-15's out back, and a wider weld up front (probably 6's). Some of the cage is coming out. I'm leaving the halo for sure, and the door bars are coming out. It does have subframe connectors. I'll be updating periodically as I put it back together. I have to reinstall the heater box, dash harness, controls, radio bezels, and glove box, as well as factory Mach 1 seats and center console and some new carpet. It will be nice, but muscular inside. 12k tach and a shifter light as well as the shifter will be what grabs your eye.

OP
OP
Steven

Steven

Legend
Reaction score
Re: Stevens build up: Project Muscle car

I tore out alot of the home made harness and gauge plates, as well as moved things around. Much happier with it. Also removed the shifter, carpet, and seat to under coat and relocate the shifter in the factory console.

IMG_0059.jpg

Lovely wiring. Obviously I moved the tach. Tonight (1/5/10) I went to work and pulled the carpet completely out, and made a plate for the factory shifter hole. Undercoated some as well.

IMG_2019.jpg

IMG_2021.jpg

IMG_2022.jpg

I used a thick piece of aluminum, salvaged from all the crap he had in the dash for all the switches. Used some dum dum to keep it from rattling and fumes and heat coming in. Test fitting the shifter where the factory sat. Looks like I'll be able to use it, just have to run a boot instead of the B&M aluminum housing cover that comes with it. Will look better that way as far as I'm concerned.
IMG_2025.jpg

OP
OP
Steven

Steven

Legend
Reaction score

The holes in the seat risers are for the drive shaft loop. It has one in front, and one out back. It was cold as hell in the garage as well, I just did a light coat on the floor till its not so cold. It'll never dry at the rate its at

94svtturbo

Reaction score

I really like your idea with what direction you wanted to go with the style of the car. I Had the same plans with the 68 cougar i used to have before my 94. The car looks like a very good base for what you want to do. I cant wait to see your progress as the car comes together. Should look awesome!!

OP
OP
Steven

Steven

Legend
Reaction score

It should be lol

mustangmike98gt

Reaction score

sounds like a good project, keep the pics coming :headbang:

duh09

Legend
SN95 Supporter
Reaction score

Can't wait to see this car start coming together. I love love love classics. :D

OP
OP
Steven

Steven

Legend
Reaction score

It will be awesome. Don't doubt me there

Hoseitdown

Reaction score

;)

Subscribed.

Keep up the good work.

OP
OP
Steven

Steven

Legend
Reaction score

Car will be more of a muscle car/trans am feel to it. I love boss 302/429's. I would never try to make a replica, more something that will match my style

96redgt

Reaction score

Awesome car man! I need to come check it out this weekend if you're not up to anything.

OP
OP
Steven

Steven

Legend
Reaction score

I'll be busy working on it lol. So your welcome to come

duh09

Legend
SN95 Supporter
Reaction score

Steven said:
Car will be more of a muscle car/trans am feel to it. I love boss 302/429's. I would never try to make a replica, more something that will match my style

That's how I want to do mine but with a much stronger resto-mod feel.

OP
OP
Steven

Steven

Legend
Reaction score

Update

Been working on the car the last week. Its been super cold out, and of course I ran out of kerosene. So i've been massively slowed down lol. I did however go pick up some kerosene this morning, and met up with the previous owner and picked up alot of the parts that came with it. I got the factory painted hood, wiring harnesses, seats, and some other parts. Upon close inspection looking at the harness, someone cut the engine harness off of it, lovely. Other then that it was in great shape so I went to put it in, discovered a little bit of surface rust, and I mean little, as in real little. After further inspection I figured out it would be a miracle to put the harness it with the dash in, and the heater box has absolutely no chance of going in outside of taking the dash out. So today was really set out to just get the harnesses setup and figured out, undercoat the firewall, and clean everything up. Took the drivers side door bar off the cage finally, as well as the rest of the wiring from the race harness. Anywho, heres some pictures.

IMG_2034.jpg

IMG_2035.jpg

IMG_2037.jpg

IMG_2040.jpg

IMG_2036.jpg

IMG_2040.jpg

IMG_2041.jpg

dafizuck

Reaction score

This project is awesome man... beautiful car.

OP
OP
Steven

Steven

Legend
Reaction score

Thanks man. I'm slowly de-race caring it. I'm getting one thing done at a time. Alot of it is wiring, and only a little involves plumbing. Putting a factory tank and all back in it, but keeping the fuel pump/filter system on it as what it came with when I got it.

duh09

Legend
SN95 Supporter
Reaction score

Stock hood looks nicce back on there. I wish I had a place to start tearing my 67 apart.

OP
OP
Steven

Steven

Legend
Reaction score

I'm happy with it. I have a bunch of updates from today. I don't really have the room persay, most of the time I just roll the 65 outside, shut the door, and have both stalls to work on the car. Otherwise I have NO room whatsoever. lol

duh09

Legend
SN95 Supporter
Reaction score

I have nothing though. The 67 is in a storage unit just so it wont be in the weather. haha

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
stillridin

Members online