Very torn opinions wanted

Leo 5.0

Reaction score
Well since my intro post, the old lady gave the car to her grandson. Not mad, but put me back on the hunt.

I found these two.

a 1994 GT 5 spd 160k $2800 COSMETICALLY MODDED
a 1991 LX 5.0 Auto 110K (claimed) $2200 HAS A FANCY HEAD UNIT

The dilemma is, with the GT, I will have to take it to a paint shop, and have those nasty stripes removed. And those cobra badges off. Sound car, questionable cosmetics... No quotes but expecting $1500+
Mechanically sound though, drove it and loved it. Wheels have to go, which also means speedo is off..

LX, Automatic...gross.
$1700 for rebuilt t5 swap kit. A day of work, and then it is ready.
Drove it..hated the auto, but am still deeply hooked on a 5.0 Hatch(reminds me of my 89 GT)

So I wanted some opinions, I asked them to wait til monday so I could decide, and they agreed.

I am really quite torn, the raw feel of the fox, or the more refined SN95
00f0f_6cgQoDeOTZw_600x450.jpg
00B0B_dZz0Yd4iU8y_600x450.jpg

00q0q_5PA9Wj0Fhbd_600x450.jpg
00Q0Q_8aXnLLKc92h_600x450.jpg

GMSMOKR

Reaction score
If I was in your shoes.. I would run with the 94...Now if that LX was a notch..Then I would run with that one.

1bad9d5

Reaction score
Yea definitely in a group of few if you don't like notches lol.. i agree with GMSMOKR that if it was a notch id pick it... but i love SNs so i say take the 94... rims come and go, and im sure you will find a way to get those strips off quickly

OP
OP
Leo 5.0

Leo 5.0

Reaction score
They are painted on...smdh

The hood grew on me after 15 mins of driving it around.

The I had to make sure I was awake after I carfaxed the 91 and gave it a once over. But then comes, disc conversion, suspension, and well it's my fault the t5 swap would cost so much...me and my need for nice shiny new parts.

1bad9d5

Reaction score
haha i agree man im not a fan of buying used stuff.. especially a transmission... id hate to waste money getting screwed over by somebody... piece of mind by getting it new.. its a tough decision to be honest cause the fox look F'n clean man! but ive only owned SNs so im always biased towards them

TanTop94

Reaction score
I'd oh with the 94 but $2800 for 160k car? Ehh..I know these cars can run over 250k but that doesn't mean you have to pay too penny for it.

OP
OP
Leo 5.0

Leo 5.0

Reaction score
I can't hate the pricing.
Either or leaves me mod money.
Hence fixing the paint, or swapping the trans.

I have seen some very clean cars, and some beat tired workhorses...and generally they are overpriced both ways.
These two stood out a bit, so I drove from one end of the state to the other yesterday. I found a beat 95, 148k, cracked windshield, horrible alignment issues, brakes that wouldn't stop the car at 10mph. $3995, told him based on the issues I would give him 1500, and spend the rest to fix it.
lmao, he was pissed.

ProKiller

Reaction score
i'd go with the 94 but then i'm biased. the strips aren't that attractive but you could always get some flat black vinyl strips to lay over them for a lot cheaper than fresh paint. be something subtle and cool. definitely needs new wheels though.

Tony

Legend
Reaction score
i love a fox body. an LX hatch is cool. i like the GT hatch better but still like the lx.

Ferocious

Post Whore
SN95 Supporter
Reaction score
I'd just keep looking, no need to feel pressured to buy either of those.

Was just about to say this.

Out of the 2 posted, I wouldn't pick either. Just keep searching.
If you have to ask a bunch of people on a forum which to get, it's obvious it's not the right car for you.

ivan12

Reaction score
Neither, and I'm highly convinced I'll never own another fox again.

Caboose302

Reaction score
I may be the ONE person in the universe that doesn't like notches

No I'm not a huge fan either unless it's a race car. I still like the GTs. I'd go with a fox. I love my 96 but the foxes will always hold a special place in my heart. Guess that's what happens when you've owned 4 of them.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk

OP
OP
Leo 5.0

Leo 5.0

Reaction score
My apologies for not being concise in what I was asking.
I only owned one fox, and it was already modded. So I have only the 30 mins of yesterday for an idea of how a stock fox handles, brakes, etc.
Being the age is not that much different, what I was more concerned with is those that have owned both.

I know braking upgrades are in order for the LX, it's quite archaic, then again my friend's Focus had drums on the rear as well.
But I am just trying to see if the pros of a more updated chassis (SN95) outweighs the modding ability of the Fox.

The fox is indeed much cleaner, but the SN95 already has many desirable traits, discs, 5 lug, more homey interior, and a 5 speed.

So my apology if I came off as a dumbass kid asking you where to spend my money.
I'm merely inquiring about two platforms I have very little experience with.

the5.ohh

Legend
Reaction score
Okay heres my .02. I have a 95 GT, my brother has a 91 GT. Love both cars. His fox feels a lot stiffer and more planted than my 95. Now my brakes are all disks while he has only discs in the front and drums in the back..And his car's brakes are pretty good and stop how they should. If you had to pick from either of those? I'd say the fox, looks a hell of a lot cleaner than that 94. I personally would never buy a car with anything over like 80k but thats just me. Why do you need a 5 lug swap for the fox? theres a ton of 4 lug wheels out there to upgrade too, and you can upgrade the brakes too. Whats the plans for it? Track car or a weekend car that your gonna have fun with? Honest opinion i'd pass on these two until you find something nicer and more importantly one you'll be happy with. you could have black vinyl stripes put over the red. that saves a lot of $$ right there. and for the fox a T5 swap wouldn't be too much $$. Up to you, just my 2 cents

95opal

Reaction score
My apologies for not being concise in what I was asking.
I only owned one fox, and it was already modded. So I have only the 30 mins of yesterday for an idea of how a stock fox handles, brakes, etc.
Being the age is not that much different, what I was more concerned with is those that have owned both.

I know braking upgrades are in order for the LX, it's quite archaic, then again my friend's Focus had drums on the rear as well.
But I am just trying to see if the pros of a more updated chassis (SN95) outweighs the modding ability of the Fox.

The fox is indeed much cleaner, but the SN95 already has many desirable traits, discs, 5 lug, more homey interior, and a 5 speed.

So my apology if I came off as a dumbass kid asking you where to spend my money.
I'm merely inquiring about two platforms I have very little experience with.

Ive owned 5 foxs and 2 sn's ....as for better foundation hands down SN..as for either of the cars posted id pass on both.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
marktuck99

Members online