went to track..

sneaky98gt

Reaction score
Venom351R said:
Well I'm not going to keep beating a dead horse but if anyone thinks that they are going to the track with street tires and cutting better then a 2.0 at any power level without some exceptional track prep or some quite sticky street tires then good luck. Have gun with the h/c/I package and even worse traction with the added power

I've debated this with you before on some of my own threads, but you really do put too much emphasis on the whole slicks and suspension stuff. It is important, but not at all required to run good times.

One example: my car and your car are making similar power numbers and weigh about the same (even though your's actually has an advantage in both of those, but we'll ignore it for the sake of argument). You are on slicks (which I think is ridiculous for anything slower than mid-11s, but whatever); I'm on drag radials. Based on how much you tell folks they need suspension, I assume you have a decent amount of suspension work; mine is completely stock (well, it's actually lowered now). Because you mentioned it earlier, I'm assuming you are leaving pretty hard, probably clutch drops at 5,000 rpm+ (which is going to break 95% of stock clutches, transmissions, rear ends, and axles, therefore requiring that you upgrade them as well); I am leaving at about 1600 rpm on a completely stock drivetrain (including converter). ALL OF THIS, while I am trapping only a half a mph better than you, you are only .04 faster in the 1/4.

And to say that sub-2.0 60s are hard to get on street tires is also absurd. I have done it on my car LOTS of times, with relative ease. And on most of those times, it was still power limited, and still bogging (i.e. NOT traction limited). I have seen countless cars cutting 1.8-1.9 60's with bone stock (or lowered) suspensions and cheap tires. I have a friend here in Raleigh with a turbo 01 GT (all stock motor/suspension/drivetrain) that has regularly cut 1.7 60's on a BONE STOCK suspension with CHEAP ($60) Federal street tires, get this, in the STOCK SIZE (245/45-17). Here's a video of some of his passes. Skip to 1:02 to see the first of lots of passes. 0:58 shows a picture of the street tires that he is running. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CO2CiQHR2t8

DO NOT think that I am bashing your car or anyone's setup. I am not. I am just giving an example of how absurd it is to say that "slicks and suspension" is the answer to a 60' that are worse than 1.8x. My car with full bolt ons on drag radials would only cut 2.05 60's; that was dead hooking, and occasionally bogging. I could have put 13.5" slicks and 10 grand worth of suspension on my car and gained NOTHING. Regardless of how well my car was hooking, traction can only get you but so far. You also HAVE to have the power. Ever wonder why your car isn't cutting 1.3 60's? I can tell you with 100% certainty that traction and suspension have nothing to do with it. The OP is dealing with the EXACT same situation, just shifted up half a second.

duff daddy

Legend
Reaction score
We will make a new thread to debate this. No one comment on this slick/dr debate and keep on topic here.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
wbarter

Members online