What cams do I have? Source of cam gears?

PinkieT

Reaction score
I just scored a set of brand new PI Romeo heads, casting RF1L2E 6090. Did all PI heads i.e. Mustang/Crown Vic/Truck come with the same cam specs? If not, how do I know which cams ones I have? They came with no cam gears - anybody know a good source for them that doesn't break the bank? My car 98 GT has only 70k miles and I wasn't planning on doing a complete timing chain replacement. Thanks!

D3VST8R96GT

Reaction score
Todd warren they are all different even amongst same models lol

Sent from my VS996 using Tapatalk

98'Coco'GtVert

Reaction score
I just scored a set of brand new PI Romeo heads, casting RF1L2E 6090. Did all PI heads i.e. Mustang/Crown Vic/Truck come with the same cam specs? If not, how do I know which cams ones I have? They came with no cam gears - anybody know a good source for them that doesn't break the bank? My car 98 GT has only 70k miles and I wasn't planning on doing a complete timing chain replacement. Thanks!
They come with stock cams so do unless you order a set of aftermarket cams from Comp cams, Modular Head shop (MHS), or MMR.COM checkem out Bud

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

OP
OP
PinkieT

PinkieT

Reaction score
Thanks. I am assuming the "stock" cams are the same for a truck, a Crown Vic, and a Mustang? I'm not wanting to go radical on cams, looking for a bolt-on with no worries on valve to piston clearances. From what I have read no issues with stock PI cam, but once you get higher lift/duration there is a danger of valves kissing the pistons.

98'Coco'GtVert

Reaction score
Thanks. I am assuming the "stock" cams are the same for a truck, a Crown Vic, and a Mustang? I'm not wanting to go radical on cams, looking for a bolt-on with no worries on valve to piston clearances. From what I have read no issues with stock PI cam, but once you get higher lift/duration there is a danger of valves kissing the pistons.
I'd stay with a stage 1 or 2 cam but if you alter you Intake Valves you can run a heavier & aggressive cam but if you are going with a fresh set of PI heads then have the company alter you intake valves! Good luck with the build bud keep us up to date.

OP
OP
PinkieT

PinkieT

Reaction score
OK, Coco, now I'm all confused. I bought the heads with Ford stickers still on them. I planned on bolting them on as is, just wanted to know if I can run the cams that came with them. I paid only $260 for the heads and a Ford PI intake with the crossover already drilled and tapped for the earlier sensor - lots of HP for the price. The car is a cruiser, it will have PI heads and intake, 70mm Accufab throttle body and plenum, CAI, BBK shorties, 2.5" exhaust. What do you mean by "alter intake valves"? I can't see spending over twice that on new performance cams for as little power as they would add.

lwarrior1016

Mr. Secondary Timing Chain
Staff
Reaction score
Stock pi cams are not the same across the board. @96blak54 has been doing a lot of research on stock 2v cams and found interesting results on them. He’s got a thread going, I’ll see if I can find it.

98'Coco'GtVert

Reaction score
OK, Coco, now I'm all confused. I bought the heads with Ford stickers still on them. I planned on bolting them on as is, just wanted to know if I can run the cams that came with them. I paid only $260 for the heads and a Ford PI intake with the crossover already drilled and tapped for the earlier sensor - lots of HP for the price. The car is a cruiser, it will have PI heads and intake, 70mm Accufab throttle body and plenum, CAI, BBK shorties, 2.5" exhaust. What do you mean by "alter intake valves"? I can't see spending over twice that on new performance cams for as little power as they would add.
Not to confuse you but I was explaining if you were to run a different cam besides a stock pi cam or etc. you will need to alter (forged valves or alter the length of valves) to prevent PTV Clearance with aftermarket Cams

01yellercobra

Reaction score
Not to confuse you but I was explaining if you were to run a different cam besides a stock pi cam or etc. you will need to alter (forged valves or alter the length of valves) to prevent PTV Clearance with aftermarket Cams

Altering the length of the valve won't make a difference on PTV clearance. A valve is going to open .500" no matter the stem length. You change the clearance by adjusting the cam position relative to the crank or by fly cutting the pistons.

OP
OP
PinkieT

PinkieT

Reaction score

That is what I thought - if I install an aftermarket performance cam I might have PTV problems. I'll stick with what I got. Just like to figure out what that is!

96blak54

Staff
Reaction score
Take measurements with calipers of the cam lobes highest point of lift. Intake cam lobe will be roughly .030" smaller than the exhaust lobe when measuring the lobes at their fullest. So thats intake lobe is smaller, exhaust is bigger. Mustang and 5.4l truck cams were the only pi cams like this. All other pi cams the lobes will measure the same.

From all the stock cam measuring that ive done, the pi cams had a more solid standard compared to the npi offerings.

Silver95bird

Reaction score
All Romeo cam gears will interchange. But if I had no cam gears at all and I had to buy anyway ,I'd get a set of adjustable gears and set them around 108-106ish ICL. For aftermarket cams you may only be able to go to around 110, but that's a case by case basis.

OP
OP
PinkieT

PinkieT

Reaction score
Take measurements with calipers of the cam lobes highest point of lift. Intake cam lobe will be roughly .030" smaller than the exhaust lobe when measuring the lobes at their fullest. So thats intake lobe is smaller, exhaust is bigger. Mustang and 5.4l truck cams were the only pi cams like this. All other pi cams the lobes will measure the same.

From all the stock cam measuring that ive done, the pi cams had a more solid standard compared to the npi offerings.

Thanks! I'll get my micrometer out later today.

OP
OP
PinkieT

PinkieT

Reaction score
All Romeo cam gears will interchange. But if I had no cam gears at all and I had to buy anyway ,I'd get a set of adjustable gears and set them around 108-106ish ICL. For aftermarket cams you may only be able to go to around 110, but that's a case by case basis.

I've been looking. I can get used stock cam gears for $30, new Cloyes or Melling for $60, adjustable gears for four times that. How much extra power would I get for spending an additional $180?

98'Coco'GtVert

Reaction score
I've been looking. I can get used stock cam gears for $30, new Cloyes or Melling for $60, adjustable gears for four times that. How much extra power would I get for spending an additional $180?
Its not for power its for durability reasons bud get a trickflow Adjustable cam gears set or go on MMR they have billet gears for 2v's anymore questions just drop a comment bud have fun & do it right one time Only!

lwarrior1016

Mr. Secondary Timing Chain
Staff
Reaction score
Hold on now fellas, while I totally agree that degree if cams is worth it, it may not be that great of an increase with stock cams.

Also, when using adjustable cam gears you have to be Leary as to which ones you get because the set screws that lock the gears will sometimes interfere with the cam position sensor. Go for a quality set like the cloyes hex-a-just.

All that being said, your stock 98 gears will bolt right on to the pi cams. No need to get new ones, just swap yours over.

96blak54

Staff
Reaction score
If i were trailer queen drag racing, the adjustable sprockets would prove very usefull after valve cover modifications to access adjusting them easily. Otherwise the stock sprockets will outlast anything on the car.

If you really want to get super close timing with stock sprockets, dial in the cams and lap the key. Be sure to use a collapsed lasher shimmed up tight against the follower when measuring.

Silver95bird

Reaction score
Hold on now fellas, while I totally agree that degree if cams is worth it, it may not be that great of an increase with stock cams.

Also, when using adjustable cam gears you have to be Leary as to which ones you get because the set screws that lock the gears will sometimes interfere with the cam position sensor. Go for a quality set like the cloyes hex-a-just.

All that being said, your stock 98 gears will bolt right on to the pi cams. No need to get new ones, just swap yours over.

1. Factory sprockets may be as much as 6* +/- the OEM 114 ICL. One bank 108 and the other 120 makes a lot of lost power.

2. ItsI been Dyno proven that for each two degrees of advance (up to about 106) there's 1% more power, across the board with the 2v engines. This assumes both banks are timed correctly, together.

3. Link I posted above. $70.

OP
OP
PinkieT

PinkieT

Reaction score
The Summit link is for crank sprockets, not cam sprockets. If the stock cam gears are all over the place as Silver95Bird said, what good is a dialed in crank gear?

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Ccrider

Members online