What Did You Do To Your Car Today?

Werecow

Reaction score
Aight, so today I finished cleaning up the rockers on the driver's side and just popped em back on the head, no I didn't adjust em or anything like that or lube anything up, explanation to follow and I do need some advice from this point if anyone wants to pitch in. From here I'd like to drop the old oil out without disturbing it because it's been sitting for 10 years and any sediments that are in it have settled down and I do wanna drain those out without stirring that mess up. After this I do have kerosene I'd like to dump in it and spin the oil pump after pulling out the dizzy (fresh oil filter installed nach) then dump that, next I do have some used 0-20w I can mix with some more kerosene and spin it through, dump that out, change filter, run some 10-30 thru it, dump that out then break down rockers, put back together with assembly lube and then adjust, put on new Motorcraft filter and 10-40 oil put new dizzy in and run from there... As best I can tell it still looks pretty nasty inside the lifter valley and I'm trying to accomplish cleaning all the crap out it before I fire it up. If anyone has any input or thinks I need to do it differently, and suggestions, hints, tell me I'm frakkin up.. it would be appreciated and taken into consideration.. Thank you for your support...

Ya know, on second thought... I think I'mma go a qt less on the 10-40 Motorcraft for the final oil I put in it and put in 1 qt of ATF. It's not like I'm gnna be running it for any great long periods of time for quite a while.. prolly just warm it up and check things out while I'm still getting things lined out, a trip up and down the road and back.. it'll still have to have a lot done till it'll be in service again and I can give it another oil change before then..

Werecow

Reaction score
Finished scrubbing up second scummy valve cover and started stripping the first one for paint as rust and flaking old paint just won't do... I had originally intended on going with the traditional dark Ford blue.. but instead I thought I'd try something different.. I wanna know what youse guys (and gals) think... I started with a coat of hi-temp aluminum rattle can I had left over from when I painted the upper plenum on the black 94 GT and got this...20200921_1704264882.jpg

Then I gave it a coat ov clear coat like it did previously and had good results there.. hi-temp of course...20200921_1735433373.jpg
So far it's not too bad... Thought I'd add one more thing... 20200921_1742467284.jpg

Yeh that last bit was with a magic marker, just to see how it would look. Now I'm gnna be using black wires down the middle of the valve covers Instead around the front, mind you this is just test paint and stuff to see how it looks. I still need to finish stripping this one down and finish cleaning it up before finally painting it, but opinions?? Does it look decent? Tacky? Like it fell out a garbage truck? I know the script was messy but it was jus a test and need to be done a lot better.,.. But let me know how you feel!!

ttocs

Post Whore
Reaction score
I waxed some painted parts on my interior while I am now waiting to get some correct parts from summit. They sent me a -10an hose instead of a -12an so that means another couple of days to get it back together. But then me and pops got a little ambitious and borrowed the neighbors pressure washer. He wanted to pressure wash the garage door but then noticed how dirty the siding was above it. So first we do that, then the door, and then noticed how dirty the driveway was. So we started on it and managed to finish it up this afternoon but it wore me out. It made a heck of a difference though and it was rewarding to see the difference after. The driveway is 10 yrs old and never been washed at all. Now we are thinking about getting really crazy and sealing it since its clean...

Werecow

Reaction score
I waxed some painted parts on my interior while I am now waiting to get some correct parts from summit. They sent me a -10an hose instead of a -12an so that means another couple of days to get it back together. But then me and pops got a little ambitious and borrowed the neighbors pressure washer. He wanted to pressure wash the garage door but then noticed how dirty the siding was above it. So first we do that, then the door, and then noticed how dirty the driveway was. So we started on it and managed to finish it up this afternoon but it wore me out. It made a heck of a difference though and it was rewarding to see the difference after. The driveway is 10 yrs old and never been washed at all. Now we are thinking about getting really crazy and sealing it since its clean...

Annnnnnnd that's how shit snowballs!!!

apsmith49921

Reaction score
Ran a tap through the exhaust manifold in prep for studs tomorrow. Going to have to cut my own double sided studs and run a die over one end tomorrow.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

Werecow

Reaction score
Ooohhh!!! Just a suggestion!! You can get all thread in grade 8! That'll work out a lot better than a regular grade 5 which is what most all thread comes in. And if you have a Fastenal around locally, they may be able to order studs for you, or have the grade 8 all thread around that you'll need... And if there's a Lowe's around I've really lucked up there and found a lot of Allen bolts there if you could use those as well!! Hope this helps!!

apsmith49921

Reaction score
Ooohhh!!! Just a suggestion!! You can get all thread in grade 8! That'll work out a lot better than a regular grade 5 which is what most all thread comes in. And if you have a Fastenal around locally, they may be able to order studs for you, or have the grade 8 all thread around that you'll need... And if there's a Lowe's around I've really lucked up there and found a lot of Allen bolts there if you could use those as well!! Hope this helps!!
I've got most the tools to make a stud like the die and chamfer to clean the ends. I would use all thread but I want the flat non threaded part like a factory stud to help it seat. One hole is tapped perfectly and shouldn't be an issue. The one closest to the starter however I could only run the tap so deep. Unfortunately I have a feeling it's going to be impacted in deep with a bit of "nature's loctite"

I hate to do that way but the only other option is to remove the manifold completely and drill/retap. Which isn't worth it. With a quality stud and some anti sieze the nut should spin right off next time

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

RAU03MACH

Legend
Reaction score
Finished scrubbing up second scummy valve cover and started stripping the first one for paint as rust and flaking old paint just won't do... I had originally intended on going with the traditional dark Ford blue.. but instead I thought I'd try something different.. I wanna know what youse guys (and gals) think... I started with a coat of hi-temp aluminum rattle can I had left over from when I painted the upper plenum on the black 94 GT and got this...View attachment 6700

Then I gave it a coat ov clear coat like it did previously and had good results there.. hi-temp of course...View attachment 6701
So far it's not too bad... Thought I'd add one more thing... View attachment 6702

Yeh that last bit was with a magic marker, just to see how it would look. Now I'm gnna be using black wires down the middle of the valve covers Instead around the front, mind you this is just test paint and stuff to see how it looks. I still need to finish stripping this one down and finish cleaning it up before finally painting it, but opinions?? Does it look decent? Tacky? Like it fell out a garbage truck? I know the script was messy but it was jus a test and need to be done a lot better.,.. But let me know how you feel!!
Do you guys have an electroplating place where your at send those out to get chromed

Werecow

Reaction score
No not around here... I live in small town, rural like area... That was some aluminum paint I had left over from where I did an upper plenum and I was just playing with it to see how it would turn out... I did find someone on eBay that sells Ford stickers in black I could use right on the logo that would look nice on it tho... I do have the correct dark blue Ford paint too...

Werecow

Reaction score
Oooohhhh danm!! Nice job!!!! Once I get this one running I'll start spending a lil more on getting it looking really nice, but I've never even heard it run yet.. It could have a thump in the bottom end or piston slap (gods i really hope not!!) But I gotta be sure it a runner first... If not I'mma be looking for a big block!! :):)

Werecow

Reaction score
Well I'm already 1/2 way there!! I've got a C-6 tranny with a big block bell housing pattern and the 351M I've got now is only 2in less wide than a big block!! I'm planning on getting this one running, get the car in the right shape for one and the decide if I really wanna dump $$$ into the engine it's got or start looking...