What kind of subs for volume more than bass?

Shocker98GT

Reaction score
G_94_T said:
the only problem with ported boxes is they operate in a very narrow frequency band.....as far as the "loudness"

Really a well designed ported box has a much wider usable response than a sealed box. Sealed boxes have a higher frequency of system resonance, and rolloff at 12db/oct below that, but since it's a small cabin the gain offsets this and you get a relatively flat response. A ported box, on the other hand, can have flat response down into the 20hz region before it rolls off, but the effects of cabin gain mean that lower frequencies get more and more pronounced, producing higher SPL. All in the design ;) Ported boxes get their crappy reputation because they're harder to design and get right, and all that most people hear are poor implementations like some premade wonder you'd get at Best Buy

lrall

Reaction score
Snakebit said:
well since the cobra is sold, Im putting my Pioneer deck in the L and im going to get a single 10 or 12 sub to put in the L.
JL 10W6v2 FTMFW, my bro has one w/ a JL 500/1 amp....and my gawd its loud, even w/ a sealed box.

kyle94gt

Reaction score
Two JL 12" W1V2's with a JL 250.1 amp, in a small sealed box... two b&c 6.5's on either the factory amp *if you have the 460* or a small amp, and a nice set of 6x8/5x7's or 6x9's in the back with the head unit will be able to get loud enough to make your ears ring for a small price. :naughty: :naughty: :naughty:

Fryrice

Reaction score
If you want tight/accurate music that will be loud,then you want a sealed box. Maybe with some 10 inch woofers. 8 inch will be more punchy.

If you want ghetto blastin sound the you go with a bandpass box. The type with the plexiglass on the front and ports on the side.

kyle94gt

Reaction score
only downfall to a band pass box and the reason in competition they aren't used but very rarely anymore is due to the pressure factor on your subs. when they're mounted in a bandpass box, especially the cheap ones, they're most of the time not engineered to act correctly. it's supposed to act like a sealed and ported box in one. This in return wrecks your subs. In my opinion small sealed for tighter sound quality, or large ported/large sealed for chest hurting bass.

G

GREG@SN95

I fit 12s in both the LX and the GT... and they are both verts...

Can't go wrong with rockfords

Fryrice

Reaction score
kyle94gt said:
only downfall to a band pass box and the reason in competition they aren't used but very rarely anymore is due to the pressure factor on your subs. when they're mounted in a bandpass box, especially the cheap ones, they're most of the time not engineered to act correctly. it's supposed to act like a sealed and ported box in one. This in return wrecks your subs. In my opinion small sealed for tighter sound quality, or large ported/large sealed for chest hurting bass.

Specific subs are built specifically for different sub enclosures. And certain enclosures are recommended my the sub manufacturers . An example would be that Kicker suggest you use a sealed box for their Comp series ,because thats what they are built for. Same with other models that are recommended to be use ib a bandpass etc.Bandpass is all about the bass. Not punch,accuracy etc.

There not used in pro competitions because that type of enclosure is not very accurate with the DB notes. Plus you cant really build a bandpass box that can hold 20 15 inch subs like you can with a sealed set-up.

Shocker98GT

Reaction score
Really a bandpass box has lower distortion than a ported or sealed box, in it's intended range of course, it's at the expense of higher group delay though. Bandpass applications have won SQ competitions before. With bandpass you're getting huge mechanical control over the subwoofers while adding output simultaneously, less excursion=stronger BL, less linear and non-linear distortion all around which is a good thing. It all boils down to the type of design, most are bastardized and used solely for SPL competition :puke:.

There aren't a lot of dedicated car audio subs on the market anymore. Most newer subs are designed to work well in "all" (none) of the potential applications.

kyle94gt

Reaction score
tis true.. the bandpass enclosures I was referring to would be the most common ones that have no thought process put into them at all. you know, 4 giant 4inch wide port holes all across the back of the box, the whole box itself is the size of a normal sealed box from best buy.. they're "pre-fab" ones. I know that they used to be used widely in car audio, those being custom built and costly yes. I personally wont' touch them when building.. It's not that I don't want to build them it's just most people don't want to take the lock off of their wallet haha. oh well. whatcha gonna do. but all good comments on this topic.. I enjoy them. All personal preference though. seems there needs to be a poll put up for this one to see whats preferred lol.. anyways.. later

Shocker98GT

Reaction score
kyle94gt said:
tis true.. the bandpass enclosures I was referring to would be the most common ones that have no thought process put into them at all. you know, 4 giant 4inch wide port holes all across the back of the box, the whole box itself is the size of a normal sealed box from best buy.. they're "pre-fab" ones.

With beautiful neon lights in them and subs that would cost $20 full retail ;D

kyle94gt

Reaction score
LMAO yeah no doubt.. neons sell anything... :D :D :D :eek: :eek: :eek: OOOOOOOOOOOhhhh Blinky LIGHTS!!!!

Matt94GT

Post Whore
SN95 Supporter
Reaction score
honestly JL kick ass, I have one single 12" W3...used to be into big stereos but man Im so happy with this sub, in the right box with only 250rms it sounds very good.

kyle94gt

Reaction score
THis is very true matt... JL puts out good equipment all around. Their subwoofer stats and amplifier stats are way undershot as well. I put 3 JL 12W0's in a ranger. Sealed box. with a 400 watt Eclipse mono amp. They would set off car alarms when driving by. The whole system probably cost the guy 600 dollars and sounded great.

Matt94GT

Post Whore
SN95 Supporter
Reaction score
Yeah JL W0 my brother had 2 in a jetta, massive ported box ported to specs and it was insane. its all about a proper box, you gotta build one specific to the subs, by volume but if you want to go all out deffently tune it to the sub as well makes a big diffrence. JL might look small and plain but they are by far the best bang for the buck IMO I love them, make great speakers and amps now as well.

brwillms

Reaction score
The best thing to do is actually perform a burn in using a tone generator and then take your own Thiele Small parameter measurements.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
wbarter

Members online