What should I do?

Discussion in 'Build Ups & Projects' started by Christian216, Sep 22, 2016.

1. Christian216

Christian216 New Member

So my mom and I have a 95 gt. It's stock with the exception of an X pipe. We want to start building it up power wise. What could I do that will give me plenty of power without spending $6000 on a supercharger?

-thanks, Christian

2. chris91

chris91 Well-Known Member

Spend 2k on a used supercharger...

3. Mustanger

Mustanger Well-Known Member

Our cars (I have a 94 GT) are not as easy as other years to get "plenty" of power. First off we have a 2 year only unique computer in our cars & it is OBD I all the 96 & up cars are OBD II so not many tuner shops are available that want to handle us. As I understand it we have to add a chip like SCT or Diablo Chip to really be able to tune our cars after adding a lot of power mods. Another good one is the Moates Quarter Horse tuning system...start searching these things out & learning about them.

One way is the SuperChargers or Turbos for quick easier horsepower but you want cheaper...me too. So there is the Head, Cam, Intake route. Scrounge around & keep your eyes open & you may find some good bargains online & slowly pick up what you can afford. Used but in good condition is the goal but the risk of hidden damage can kill your budget quickly if you aren't knowledgeable ....The Trick Flow HCI package is good & all matched well but labor if you do not do it yourself can zoom up to the $6000 level fast too.

I would do things like rear gears first for a major bang for your buck...your car will feel much more powerful & be tons more fun to drive with 3:55, 3:73 gears or even 4:11's . We came stock with 2:73 ratio gears mostly & any one of those would be a major difference. A fun one too. You will need a simple gear to drop into the tranny to keep your speedometer accurate cheap around $20 bucks or so. Might as well change all your axle bearings while you have them out along with the Throw Out Bearing & a new (IMO) stock clutch & resurface or replace the flywheel...then rebuild the Trak Lok clutches in the differential, use the Carbon Fiber clutch pack. Add a Maximum Motorsports Clutch quadrant & firewall cable adjuster with a new OEM only Clutch cable from MM and you would be set. Plus fluid & additive to the rear end, new seals etc....Price this all out in your area & local shops to get a price range. If you can I heartily recomend adding MM Lower Control arms to prevent wheel hop on take off or going around corners etc. with your new gears & the snappiness you will feel you will need them!

Most add some kind of Cold Air Intake for a few ponies, or maybe just looks...I have a Chrome BBK CAI... then I bumped the timing up 2-4 degrees so now I burn Premium gas but I don't daily drive this car...I like to think I can feel a bit more power! Hehe...who knows.

I want to add Aluminum Heads & a cam pretty soon but I need to find a tuner shop to set me up on the dyno before I go that big of a change...I have to travel a couple hundred + miles for that in my area.

You probably want to lower your car at sometime soon too right? Pick good quality now & you can do it once...MM suspension is great, H& R, Steeda, Eibach....check out our cars here & find the look you want & see what it takes to get that...

A good thing to do is upgrade your brakes too! The Cobra, Bullitt, Mach I brakes front & rear is a very good choice for our cars...I love mine. All these type of things make our cars so fun to drive, faster, safer, & look so much better! It is a long expensive road but a lifetime of enjoyment & learning...take your time...enjoy. Ask lots of questions & post pics as you go! Good luck.

4. 96blak54

96blak54 Legend

Very informative!

Nice work Mustanger!

5. Nighttrain

Nighttrain Well-Known Member

If you can do the work yourself heads, cam intake off of a 5.0 explorer is pretty cheap and a nice bang for the buck. Gears are a must with these. Basically what mustanger said. There are "cheap" ways around it though.