What Type.of Cam do i need?

Foxman1970

Reaction score
Hi guys this is my first post i appreciate being able.to.be apart of this fourm I have a 98 2v npi block with new notched pistons forged eagle rods and 99 windsor heads tht are pnp stage 2 as far as ik im looking.for a cam bigger than a 262 i.currently.have comp xe262s in the process of building pi swap staying na already have new valves springs and retainers any cam help would be appreciated thanks guys

DropTopPony

Post Whore
SN95 Supporter
Reaction score
270ah would be next step up comp line but since you are notched you could go 278's... go big :)

you could also look into cushman motorsports or modular headshop.

96blak54

Staff
Reaction score
What rear gear do you have? 4.10's up will be needed to ease streetable driving. What static compression ratio are those notched pistons?

96blak54

Staff
Reaction score
If your keeping it n/a, pull them pistons out and replace with flat tops w/valve reliefs. Or slap on a roots supercharger

Ninety8stang

Reaction score
Admin closed your other thread probably due to being a pretty much duplicated thread. haha

96blak54

Staff
Reaction score
Yea no duh, I read the thread. With that comp ratio, he was better to stay pi cam, keeping a better effective stroke ratio, average power band instead of just killing the dynamic compression ratio. Now he wants to add bigger cam only to reduce his dynamic compression and effective stroke. He may gain a few ponies, but not like getting the compression where it needs to be,....might as well force induce it where he is at now. Sure, add any cam you want, but for my $500+ purchases....money spent will be effective.

Ninety8stang

Reaction score
Yea no duh, I read the thread. With that comp ratio, he was better to stay pi cam, keeping a better effective stroke ratio, average power band instead of just killing the dynamic compression ratio. Now he wants to add bigger cam only to reduce his dynamic compression and effective stroke. He may gain a few ponies, but not like getting the compression where it needs to be,....might as well force induce it where he is at now. Sure, add any cam you want, but for my $500+ purchases....money spent will be effective.

Well if you read the thread then why bother talking about boosting it if you already knew he wanted to stay NA. Just saying, not everyone can pony up the funds to throw a "roots" supercharger on their car (which is a waste if you're talking about making power efficiently). If he sold his cams he would only be spending $200 extra for new cams not $2000 putting a blower on it.

96blak54

Staff
Reaction score
Perhaps calling out someones post is not the thing to do...?

My response was a simple suggestion to the logistics of his engine. Your response was an advertisement to a company probably not associated with this forum(IDK) and to include why suggest another cam when what he has is about all he is going to get...."im just saying"

[emoji6]

chris91

Reaction score
Want a cheap way to deal with the pistons? Find a someone to trade you shortblocks. Then go with the Hitech's. Ninety8stang you listed the Roots cams though. Here is what you need.

I have them in my car along with Fox Lake's Stage 2 Heads and it screams. Will be hitting the dyno come springtime. Similar setups have put down about 330hp. Whos stage 2 heads do you have?

And there is nothing wrong with what Ninety8stang posted about Hitech. Its not like they arent well known for one of the best cams to use when staying with a stock bottom end. I recommend them everytime one of these threads come up too.

Ninety8stang

Reaction score
Perhaps calling out someones post is not the thing to do...?

My response was a simple suggestion to the logistics of his engine. Your response was an advertisement to a company probably not associated with this forum(IDK) and to include why suggest another cam when what he has is about all he is going to get...."im just saying"

[emoji6]

Okay dude.

Want a cheap way to deal with the pistons? Find a someone to trade you shortblocks. Then go with the Hitech's. Ninety8stang you listed the Roots cams though. Here is what you need.

I have them in my car along with Fox Lake's Stage 2 Heads and it screams. Will be hitting the dyno come springtime. Similar setups have put down about 330hp. Whos stage 2 heads do you have?

And there is nothing wrong with what Ninety8stang posted about Hitech. Its not like they arent well known for one of the best cams to use when staying with a stock bottom end. I recommend them everytime one of these threads come up too.

Updated the link. Good catch.

OP
OP
F

Foxman1970

Reaction score
Well the pistons and rods arent stock but crank is still stock i dont have time to wait on someone with a different block its all apart atm im just wanting a better cam heads are just pi's pnp to wht looks like a stage 2 i dont have the funds.for a supercharger its more of a mid range budget build guys lmao

96blak54

Staff
Reaction score
You need flat top pistons to benefit from any cam upgrade. I would suggest keeping your cams now and apply the funds towards pistons. Im sure you run 93octane through the car ,so why not utilize the full potential? Get the compression up!

OP
OP
F

Foxman1970

Reaction score
The car is apart so is the motor its been apart for.to long im just ready to have my car back its just to many new variables i dont want to deal with

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jdude138

Members online

No members online now.